Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 AM

199 posts, read 536,749 times

Advertisements

The Daily Beast crunched the data on the brainpower of America’s 55 largest cities, from first-to-worst.This report is dated October 4, 2009. Las Vegas did not fare well (# 54). If you don't like what you read; I did not come up with this data, The Daily Beast did, go after them. The report probably includes Summerlin, Henderson, and North Las Vegas as well. Overall, can anyone trust a survey these days? Some are concluded before they are conducted, when paid enough.

America's Smartest Cities—From First to Worst - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-04/americas-smartest-cities---from-first-to-worst/ - broken link)

In my opinion Book Stores help indicate an intelligent community. In the San Francisco/Berkeley/Oakland area, one finds lots of places to buy books, outside of shopping malls. Here in Rochester there is a high number of learning institutions, but I've only seen the book stores in malls and branch libraries. Having not seen Las Vegas, yet, I am not sure what to expect.

Last edited by Salmanal; 01-23-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:33 AM

990 posts, read 1,655,228 times
In Las Vegas you find a lot of politically conservative people which explains the ranking.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
The Daily Beast crunched the data on the brainpower of America’s 55 largest cities, from first-to-worst.This report is dated October 4, 2009.
Yes, and it was discussed on this board beginning October 5th.

Deliver me from Evil - Las Vegas

Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
and you find a lot of people posting from somewhere else that seem to think we care what they think

Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 AM

....and I was afraid, at first, that the conservatives may have had their grubby hands in this too. This report did not affect my opinion of LV, I must go there myself to come up with any personal opinions; good or bad. But Lonely Planet also said LV is not the best educated in "Las Vegas Encounter," 2009. Lonely Planet is out of Berkeley, they were not "purely" negative; again, I'll have to see it for myself. My thinking is more like Berkeley's than that of the Connecticut suburbs of NYC.

I looked at the positives of Las Vegas, as well as the negatives, before I thought of the area as a possibility as a future locale a month ago.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Thanks sooo much ManofBethesda,

I read the earlier, long, conversation about the Las Vegas Intelligence.
So many different opinions there; wow! At least I could be one more happy computer scientist added to the bunch in Las Vegas, who looks good shaking his booty.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:57 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
It should be no surprise that Las Vegas does so poorly in these types of surveys. One of the big attractions to this place is that it's one of few places where a working class person with no education can achieve the American dream of owning their own home. A cocktail waitress or grocery store clerk makes enough to go out and buy a new 3br/2ba home in a decent neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmanal View Post
At least I could be one more happy computer scientist added to the bunch in Las Vegas, who looks good shaking his booty.
There is no such thing. If you're in high-tech and want to live in Las Vegas, you should establish yourself with your employer and then work out a telecommuting arrangement. You'll have a much better job and much better employer than you could find locally, not to mention a much higher salary.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:23 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
My roommate came out from San Diego specifically to go to UNLV. He told me they have the best education for hotel management that you can get anywhere. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. I just thought it relates to this thread is all.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
My roommate came out from San Diego specifically to go to UNLV. He told me they have the best education for hotel management that you can get anywhere.
I'm sure Cornell's Hotel Administration school feels really threatened by UNLV. I doubt Cornell was an option for your roommate.

That's just an aberration caused by the school's location. If the hotel school was in an other city it would be as irrelevant as the rest of UNLV.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
There is no such thing. If you're in high-tech and want to live in Las Vegas, you should establish yourself with your employer and then work out a telecommuting arrangement. You'll have a much better job and much better employer than you could find locally, not to mention a much higher salary.
Honestly, when I taught in a "community" school, non-profit; I was not paid very well, but it was the best job I've ever held. In Mexico, I taught voluntarily as I do here. I am a retired geek. I am not looking at Las Vegas for employment, only a decent place to call home.

As far as intelligence is concerned, Rochester, NY has 19 institutions of higher learning; in spite of that, the residents here; born and raised in this city, are as dumb as a post. The poor service one receives in most places reflects that. The reasoning for Rochester's decent score is the number of institutions here. The students are the smart ones; they graduate, and leave; as I am about to do.

So far, I do think Las Vegas is decent, but more research will need to be done on this before I can make a decision. Question: are there book stores in Las Vegas that are not in shopping malls or Library branches? I do love independent book stores.

And thanks Las Vegas Drunk, but I don't think Hotel Management is within the realm of IT; I never told anyone my field, so this is not your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas