Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Anyone know if section 8 is open in Las Vegas, NV yet? If you do know where and/or when it will op
yes, it's open in: 1 25.00%
yes, it is due to open in: 1 25.00%
Deadline for section 8 is: 1 25.00%
Telephone number to call is: 1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 10,182 times

Advertisements

Need section 8. Live in N. Las Vegas. Been waiting and waiting for section 8 to open.

Last edited by ashi5509; 02-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: spelled one word wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
God, NO. I'm thinking about moving to Vegas to get away from the current Section 8 problem where I'm at now!!!!!

On another note: There's not a lot of Section 8 in Vegas?!?

Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
God, NO. I'm thinking about moving to Vegas to get away from the current Section 8 problem where I'm at now!!!!!

On another note: There's not a lot of Section 8 in Vegas?!?
I agree. I truly look down on people who rely on the government to pay their bills and housing expenses. I completely pay my own way, and I feel others should too.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 AM

150 posts, read 427,075 times
BLAH blah blah. Just so you know section 8 and food stamps are not actually govtment handouts exactly. Being a cop i am against welfafe but section 8 is a program that helps people who work. heck,i knew NYPD rookies who were on food stamps and were just making 3 thousand more than being able to qualify for section 8. Basically our min wage in this country sucks and is very low. alot of countries actually have a min wage that is liveable on,but t ojust tell everyone to work hard to make more would not work because someone has to do these jobs and last ,think about how higher income jobs would pay less if everyone min. pay worker got educated and competed with the jobs that pay more. So Fact is someone has to do these jobs and government is against doubling the min. wage because small businessses wouldnt be able to survive so hence comes govt subsidies. To qualify for section 8 just means your income is less than half the avg. In NYC avg. income for family is something like 40 something so if you make 20k or under you technically qualify. But fact is NYC rents are too high for people making that amount(actually i believe in nyc people making 40k plus should qualify but thats another story).SO being that I depend on low paid workers to serve me (retail,etc) i am glad there is section 8 because without it all those jobs would go unfullfilled because no one can survive on it also My job enforcing the law would be harder because of social revolution,lol. Believe it are not mayor bloomberg was actually encouraging cops and other city workers to get food stamps because city pays govt workers poorly in first 5 yrs.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM

p.s. half of all section 8 vouchers go to the elderly. i would live next to them before most young hard working people. they party less!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post
BLAH blah blah. Just so you know section 8 and food stamps are not actually govtment handouts exactly. Being a cop i am against welfafe but section 8 is a program that helps people who work. heck,i knew NYPD rookies who were on food stamps and were just making 3 thousand more than being able to qualify for section 8. Basically our min wage in this country sucks and is very low. alot of countries actually have a min wage that is liveable on,but t ojust tell everyone to work hard to make more would not work because someone has to do these jobs and last ,think about how higher income jobs would pay less if everyone min. pay worker got educated and competed with the jobs that pay more. So Fact is someone has to do these jobs and government is against doubling the min. wage because small businessses wouldnt be able to survive so hence comes govt subsidies. To qualify for section 8 just means your income is less than half the avg. In NYC avg. income for family is something like 40 something so if you make 20k or under you technically qualify. But fact is NYC rents are too high for people making that amount(actually i believe in nyc people making 40k plus should qualify but thats another story).SO being that I depend on low paid workers to serve me (retail,etc) i am glad there is section 8 because without it all those jobs would go unfullfilled because no one can survive on it also My job enforcing the law would be harder because of social revolution,lol. Believe it are not mayor bloomberg was actually encouraging cops and other city workers to get food stamps because city pays govt workers poorly in first 5 yrs.
All I am going to say is you are totally wrong on too many accounts here to list.

1. The minimum wage being too low: I live on LESS than minimum wage and am not on any form of public assistance. The people who can not live on minimum wage who make it are trying to live beyond there means. Should I have to pay more taxes because of there irresponsibility?

2. Cops start out at approximately $50,000 a year. There is no way they qualify for food stamps. Give it up. I make less than half that and I make way too much to even qualify myself.

3. There are people who I feel are deserving of the government taking care of them. Since I was a in home care attendant for disabled people on medicaid, I can understand. If someone is paralyzed, sick, and unable to work otherwise I have no problem with my tax dollars taking care of them. For otherwise healthy people, I wish they would get rid of all of these programs, with welfare being the first.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 AM

354 posts, read 855,017 times
I'm not sure about Vegas but my sister runs the section 8 program for a town in Pennsylvania. She said that for about a year now they have been telling people to not even bother signing up for it because the waiting list is so long they will never get in. This is the first time they ever had to do that. They are getting about 4 times more applicants then what they used to and she lives in an area not as hard hit by the recession as Vegas. I would call them and ask how long their waiting list is.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 AM

All I am going to say is you are totally wrong on too many accounts here to list.

1. The minimum wage being too low: I live on LESS than minimum wage and am not on any form of public assistance. The people who can not live on minimum wage who make it are trying to live beyond there means. Should I have to pay more taxes because of there irresponsibility?

2. Cops start out at approximately $50,000 a year. There is no way they qualify for food stamps. Give it up. I make less than half that and I make way too much to even qualify myself.

3. There are people who I feel are deserving of the government taking care of them. Since I was a in home care attendant for disabled people on medicaid, I can understand. If someone is paralyzed, sick, and unable to work otherwise I have no problem with my tax dollars taking care of them. For otherwise healthy people, I wish they would get rid of all of these programs, with welfare being the first.

Dude,until the last contract in 2008 was settled.Rookie NYPD cops made exactly 25,000 and they also were required t ospend 3k for equipment. i assumed yuo would have that info in Vegas being that it made the national papers for a couple of years about how NYPD cops started at $25,000,do a google search about NYPD rookies earning 25k. Now they make about alittle over 40k. I was explaining purpose of section 8. In a city like NYC alot of hard working people qualify.Vegas is different ,lower cost of living and vegas cops start out more than NYC cops did. So I would assume you are incorrect(GEE,one would assume that i would know what my own payscale is/was) .
Food stamps are calculated based on income to living expense ratio,including shelter and necessary utilities. So Someone with 3 kids making 25k and a large rent payment can technically qualify as long as over 2k not in bank.
You said you survive on less then min. wage? well then You can never say you pay my salary because federal standard deduction plus personal exemption is first 9k of salary which means you are not paying much in taxes and vegas doesnt tax your income. I believe if you worked 40 hrs in vegas and got min. wage plus health insurance your yearly income would be 13,624 and you would pay a whopping 4 hundred dollars tax not exactly paying for these programs .

you might find this interesting.we went 4 yrs without contract.
http://gothamist.com/2006/03/22/nypd_wants_to_g.php
http://officerresource.com/forums/f5...er-jobs-11858/

you are talking about a city where cheapest apt is over 1k and min car insurance for just basic liability for new driver is over 200 a month. in vegas geico will charge me 1/4 what i pay in NYC.

Last edited by kittyranger; 02-12-2010 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: wrong

Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
now Children.....play nice.......

Old 02-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyranger View Post

Dude,until the last contract in 2008 was settled.Rookie NYPD cops made exactly 25,000 and they also were required t ospend 3k for equipment. i assumed yuo would have that info in Vegas being that it made the national papers for a couple of years about how NYPD cops started at $25,000,do a google search about NYPD rookies earning 25k. Now they make about alittle over 40k. I was explaining purpose of section 8. In a city like NYC alot of hard working people qualify.Vegas is different ,lower cost of living and vegas cops start out more than NYC cops did. So I would assume you are incorrect(GEE,one would assume that i would know what my own payscale is/was) .
Food stamps are calculated based on income to living expense ratio,including shelter and necessary utilities. So Someone with 3 kids making 25k and a large rent payment can technically qualify as long as over 2k not in bank.
You said you survive on less then min. wage? well then You can never say you pay my salary because federal standard deduction plus personal exemption is first 9k of salary which means you are not paying much in taxes and vegas doesnt tax your income. I believe if you worked 40 hrs in vegas and got min. wage plus health insurance your yearly income would be 13,624 and you would pay a whopping 4 hundred dollars tax not exactly paying for these programs .
What???

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...140k-year.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: