Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Lately developers are building more than the usual 2 story apt complex and that could be better for density. The higher the better especially if the zoning allow it.

Those things are sociological disasters. If you live in Manhattan where space is extraordinarily expensive you do what is required.

But here is it simply creating future slums..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 07:15 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Those things are sociological disasters. If you live in Manhattan where space is extraordinarily expensive you do what is required.

But here is it simply creating future slums..
Wow ignorance! By the way the Gramercy is a multi story condo/loft rentals in Spring Valley charging nearly double the asking rent for similar size rentals to deter undesirables moving in.

This just in LVOC, KTNV reporting in the Northwest side of town, woman shooting a man in Lone Mountain/215. I believe it is around your neighborhood if Im not mistaken.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:26 AM

799 posts, read 708,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Lately developers are building more than the usual 2 story apt complex and that could be better for density. The higher the better especially if the zoning allow it.
Higher density good? For who, the land developer? Apartments are one of the absolute worst inventions ever. Cramming a bunch of people on top of each other leads to nothing but blight, crime, and horrible living conditions. If all spring valley is is a bunch of apartments, I can't imagine anyone "wanting" to live there.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Higher density good? For who, the land developer? Apartments are one of the absolute worst inventions ever. Cramming a bunch of people on top of each other leads to nothing but blight, crime, and horrible living conditions. If all spring valley is is a bunch of apartments, I can't imagine anyone "wanting" to live there.
Less spending on infrastructure, not destroying too much land.......list goes on.... Of course not everyone wants to live in a building so there should be a balance.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Vegas people are showing their ignorance but surveys and studies have proven time and time again people here are lacking in..........

Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
This is straight up and down bull$hit. I live in NYC, we have the highest density in the county. And some of the highest density areas are the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post

Old 02-12-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is straight up and down bull$hit. I live in NYC, we have the highest density in the county. And some of the highest density areas are the best.
NYC is the exception to many rules. Among other reasons because all live there tight packed which lessens the socioeconomic impact of the crowding.

The US model however is much more Cabrini-Green. There the high density housing degraded to slum status and was eventually torn down. A good bit of that even here in Las Vegas.

I lived very happily in NYC both in high rise and a two family...and I liked it there. But I could never go back even if I got filthy rich. I have become to find of the open space and vistas.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:43 PM

The Cabrini Green model is to dump large numbers of the poor together in subsidized housing. I don't care how dense that housing is, it's going to be a disaster, as is most government low income housing.

Generally, the demographics of the residents are a much better predictor of the crime level of an area then the type of housing.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The Cabrini Green model is to dump large numbers of the poor together in subsidized housing. I don't care how dense that housing is, it's going to be a disaster, as is most government low income housing.

Generally, the demographics of the residents are a much better predictor of the crime level of an area then the type of housing.
Chicken egg problem. Do three story tight walkups lead to low socioeconomic tenants...or do low socioeconomic tenants lead to such structures? I would agree that if one builds 3000 SF frame apartments over a two story concrete garage with elevators it will turn out OK. Three story walkups with narrow streets and no parking and no empty space are slums in training.

A few people were trying something in the middle in Centennial but I think it pretty much went to hell with the collapse and they all ended up low end rentals.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:43 PM

If someone builds poverty housing, they get poor tenants. Sure. But again, you can have density without doing that.

Hears another kicker. A lot of well educated people who are well placed to be successful (or already are), want a more urban, less auto-centric, higher density lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas