Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times

Advertisements

And you wonder why people cross the border illegally? The majority of those border-crossers aren't just sitting on their thumbs. They're working, and we're still at only 4.6% unemployment. We need to reform our immigration policy to meet the demands of the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus K View Post
(1) What about nurses, how does one go about getting sponsorship? (2) and if you get lucky how long does it take for the green card? (3)Can the whole family move over at the same time and can the partner work as well he’s a tile setter? We’re from N. Ireland and looking to move to connecticut.
(1)'s been covered by an earlier poster.

(2) Apply in April, if you're accepted (1 in 5 chance for a BS-level degree, but there might be a special provision for healthcare workers) you can work in October of the same year.

(3) No. You can apply to bring them over when you are a lawful permanent resident. The current wait time is 5-6 years. So if you apply in April of 2008, come over in October of 2008 (and successfully apply for them to immigrate), your family can join you as early as October of 2013.

Times have changed for immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,844 times
Default nursing

help i'm canadian . i'm a personal support worker, for the past thirteen years. I'm willing to move to the usa and I'm hoping there is a company that would send me to nursing school for my RN and become a permanent resident , I do have all the up grades.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia viscardi View Post
help i'm canadian . i'm a personal support worker, for the past thirteen years. I'm willing to move to the usa and I'm hoping there is a company that would send me to nursing school for my RN and become a permanent resident , I do have all the up grades.
Best bet is to find a multinational corporation which can hire you in Canada and then transfer you to the United States. That way the company will handle all the paperwork, sponsorship, and legal fees for you.

Start your research here: USCIS Home Page

There may be a special visa for health care workers, as there are a shortage of them in the US. Then again, there's a shortage of tech workers, yet they won't raise the H1-B visa cap from the token 65,000 that it dropped to in 200(2-ish). OR BETTER YET, simply issue automatic green cards to all US college graduates with a technical degree and keep those smart kids here without turning them into slave labor for the corporations, like our previous corporate-pandering congress decided to do.

Otherwise, you can pay for your own tuition and apply for an F-1 student visa (BE SURE TO GET AN OPT TRAINING OPTION!) through your school. See my previous posts about the benefits to getting a MS as opposed to a BS. I am fairly sure there is an exemption to the 65K cap for healthcare workers, but not dead certain.

However, keep in mind, that OPT lasts only ONE YEAR. In that year, you MUST find an employer who will sponsor you for your H-visa. You then need to grin and take it in the rear from that company for 2 years before you can apply for a green card, because if they fire you prior to 2 years in, you're going back to Canada, like it or not. Oh, and then you get to stay with them for at least another year while your green card application gets lost, shredded, and destroyed several times before being properly processed by the talented employees at USCIS.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,483 times
Question Ontario Native Student Moving to California

Im a status indian looking to move to the states to be with my boyfriend. I have been told by the Native american govt. office that i can live and work in the states LEGALLY without having to get a green card because my status acts as a "temporary resident" status...i think its temp. it could be immigrant as well but I'm nto sure. Does anyone know if this is true or not? family problems are preventing me from staying in Canada any longer and I need to move and I can move to stay with him. I just need to know if this is infact TRUE.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 AM

No clue. You need to contact an immigration attourney. Look for one with a semi-crappy office. The prettier the office, the sleazier the sleezeball inside. Then again, if he's working out of a running pickup truck, you might want to go with a different guy there as well...

Better yet; why don't you marry your BF? Then you can get a fiance visa and come right over, get your green card, and be on the path to citizenship. All for just 1 year of your life, 3K in fees (maybe +5K in legal advice if you don't DIY), and a whole lotta hassel from USCIS.

One warning; if your on some sort of "temporary resident" visa, be sure to pay attention to just how "temporary" you are. It's probably not more than a year or two, I'd bet. At the end of that time, be sure to figure out how to re-up before you go "out of status". If your presence is unlawful for more than 6 months, you will be barred from returning to the US for 3 years if you leave. If you're "unlawful" for more than 1 year, you'll be barred for 10 years.

Cheery thought, huh?

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
DWS

1 posts, read 5,962 times
Sponger42, you mentioned earlier that once an immigrant is married to a US citizen, the immigrant must wait at least a year for a green card to be issued. During that time, can the married immigrant work legally in the US, or would the US citizen have to support the two of them while waiting for the green card? Are there any temporary visas to apply for during this time while waiting?

Also, during that time would the married immigrant be allowed to leave the US under any circumstances to visit family back in Canada?

Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
When my wife and I married this last October...we were told she had to decide to stay here or return home. If she stayed she could not leave until processed.
We were also told she could not work, get a license to drive, social security card, or even enroll in a college until she was processed.
We opted for her to return to her country while going through processing. This way she could work, enroll in a university, drive etc.
I don't know if she can come visit or not. Perhaps with the online application she could if approved...but what we didn't want to do was have her land in Chicago or Minneapolis...only to be denied entry because she is processing. Airline tickets are not cheap. So we are 7,000 miles apart and only get to see each other every 3 months when I go over. It's hard...but we knew it would be when we decided to marry. It's just the way it is and we're dealing with it.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cndian_cutie View Post
Im a status indian looking to move to the states to be with my boyfriend. I have been told by the Native american govt. office that i can live and work in the states LEGALLY without having to get a green card because my status acts as a "temporary resident" status...i think its temp. it could be immigrant as well but I'm nto sure. Does anyone know if this is true or not? family problems are preventing me from staying in Canada any longer and I need to move and I can move to stay with him. I just need to know if this is infact TRUE.
Apply for premanent residency at the border. You qualify for S-13 as a Native American.

Metis Indians are not recognized by the US.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Sponger42, you mentioned earlier that once an immigrant is married to a US citizen, the immigrant must wait at least a year for a green card to be issued. During that time, can the married immigrant work legally in the US, or would the US citizen have to support the two of them while waiting for the green card? Are there any temporary visas to apply for during this time while waiting?

Also, during that time would the married immigrant be allowed to leave the US under any circumstances to visit family back in Canada?
Sorry for the delayed reply.

The "wait time" is due to processing delays and backlogs at USCIS, it's not enforced. You might get fairy-tale lucky and be processed within a week. Or you might end up like everyone else (or Rance) and sit in your separate countries for years waiting for USCIS to get their thumbs out of their butts.

During the "wait time" the immigrant is out of status and cannot even legally reside in the United States unless they are here on some other form of visa. A Canadian might get special exception because it is easier for them to cross the border, but they probably can't come in with the reason "I'm visiting my fiance/husband." or "I'm getting married."

I don't know much about Canadian's special border-crossing permissions, so my answers are more applicable to other overseas immigrants.

The immigrant can come over on a K-visa as a fiancee if the marriage hasn't already occurred. I think they can get advance parole to work, and that takes something on the order of 5 weeks to 2 months.

Once approved for a Green Card (it happens after an interview usually 3-6 months into the process) theoretically you can apply for permission to return to your home country and/or get work papers, but all these things take processing time. It's safest and easiest just to wait until you have your Green Card in hand. And that is the 6-12 month (or more) delay. I say safest because authorities at immigration control in the airports don't often deal with advance parole papers and they may refuse entry. They can refuse Green Card Holders entry too, but that's a more rare occurance.

You can leave the United States at any time no matter what your status. However, getting back in is the problem. If you are out of status when you leave, your name (probably) goes into a database which will flag your passport when you try to return or apply for any sort of immigration document. This can make getting any papers harder; from visitor visas to marriage visas.

If you overstay a visa for more than 6 months, and then leave the US, you cannot reenter the US for 3 years. More than 12 months = 10 year bar. If you enter the US illegally (without inspection at a border crossing) you must leave the United States before you can apply for any sort of marriage-based visas.

There may be some sort of form for people on a K-visa or awaiting their marriage visa to leave and re-enter the US in the case of family emergencies. I don't remember the details. Again "A Couple's Guide to Fiance and Marriage Visas" is an excellent resource I highly recommend investigating.

A foreigner marrying a US Citizen cannot work to support the couple. The US citizens income must be sufficient to keep them at 125% of the Federal Poverty Level. The couple can prove this with tax returns and wage statements from employers. The couple can also use family (and friends, but this is less likely to gain approval) assets and promises of assistance or sponsorship to prove the necessary income.

Rance, your info is correct, but I'm a little surprised at your decision. Your situation is pretty awful, especially considering you're doing everything exactly as the government tells you to do it. It's really unfair to the two of you as a couple to be treated this way.

If you don't mind answering, who counseled you about your immigration situation initially? Government? Web? Lawyer?

Good Luck in any case.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:16 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
We stopped in at the immigration office in Anchorage with no idea of where to start or what we needed to do. We just figured she would have to return home while processing. The lady behind the counter said we had an option. The wife could stay here and process or return home. Had she stayed she couldn't basically do anything until processed. No school, no license, no work etc., and she told us she could not return home, which hit hard. We already had plans for Christmas/New years in Sweden.
I work in a remote location in northern AK on a 2 week on 2 week off schedule. I couldn't see having the new wife sitting home alone with nothing to do, 2 weeks at a time. Not being able to drive legally etc would have been rude and she'd probably want a divorce before it was all over!
Her case was approved by USCIS and they forwarded everything to the Visa Center. We've paid the AOS fee and the Visa Process fee...but I've still not heard word on whether we need to send in affidavit of support and geneology paperwork again. Paperwork from them says not to send anything in unless asked for it. But on the website it says we need to fill these out again and send them in. I can't get anyone to answer a phone or return an e-mail at the Visa Dept. We've got everything filled out...and I'm wondering if I should just send the stuff in or keep waiting on word from them to do it. I really hate to delay processing by sending it in without being asked to do so. It's been nearly 2 months since fees were paid and we did recieve notice to make the payments. Just no word yet on sending in the AOS and geneology stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration