Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,855 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is dating a man in a fraudulent marriage. He married another woman to become an American citizen and it has been granted. I want to know could my friend be held liable for knowing about the fake marriage and still dating this man?

It breaks my heart because she recently found out he still has communication with the fake wife and doesnt appear to want to divorce anytime soon, although the fake wife wants out because she feels used.

I am also disheartened about how lax he is about defrauding the U.S. he has said that he and the fake wife have all their paper work together and no one can disprove him . It pisses me off to see someone use our system to get benefits so they can take our money to their country on top of seeing my girlfriend in tears for this jerk. She has been waiting for him to divorce the fake wife which he promises but doesnt appear that is going to happen.

The fake married couple do not live together, and wife doesn't know where he lives. A mess...

Should she keep her mouth shut and just walk away?? He was not aware of the penalties and how they are severe for marriage fraud. Could she be charged for knowing this info and not saying anything. I told her to just dump him and walk away and not report anything unless you have concrete proof. But 2 lives would be in jeoparady..the fake wife and the immigrant, they could both face prison time right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 03:56 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,447 times
He already has his citizenship? There is nothing your friend has to worry about legally then, though if he is willing to defraud the USA like that, I wouldn't trust his moral character. If your firend wants out, or the fraud wife does, they can contact ICE. It is possible to have citizenship taken away and be deported for fraudulent claims, though if indeed he already has citizenship (as opposed to a greencard), it would be very difficult.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Yes he has citizenship since last year...I told my friend to leave him alone. I agree if you can defraud a nation you can defraud anyone.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Your friend cannot be charged with anything since she wasn't a party to the deception. As far as whether or not she continues the relationship with this man that's entirely up to her and it's probably best that you stay out of the whole mess and let her work it out. By the way, I find it impossible to believe that, "He was not aware of the penalties and how they are severe for marriage fraud", as the whole process of obtaining a GC through marriage is highly scrutinized and is quite a lengthy process. Which leads to the next question - does he actually have US citizenship or (more likely) resident alien status. The GC comes first and there's a several year wait before a citizenship application is considered.

If the "wife" now wants out and they haven't been married for very long (not to mention that they're not even living together), there could still be repercussions if she files for divorce and if ICE determines that the marriage was fraudulent he'll lose his GC and be deported.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your friend cannot be charged with anything since she wasn't a party to the deception. As far as whether or not she continues the relationship with this man that's entirely up to her and it's probably best that you stay out of the whole mess and let her work it out. By the way, I find it impossible to believe that, "He was not aware of the penalties and how they are severe for marriage fraud", as the whole process of obtaining a GC through marriage is highly scrutinized and is quite a lengthy process. Which leads to the next question - does he actually have US citizenship or (more likely) resident alien status. The GC comes first and there's a several year wait before a citizenship application is considered.

If the "wife" now wants out and they haven't been married for very long (not to mention that they're not even living together), there could still be repercussions if she files for divorce and if ICE determines that the marriage was fraudulent he'll lose his GC and be deported.
Wow..she said he became a citizen last year and now is able to vote. So I believe that he is a naturalized citizen. They got married in 2007 and the fake wife wants out because I guess she realized he didnt love her and used her. this is all so confusing I told her to leave him. But he gets scared and has temper tantrums and cries like a 3 year old out of fear of being deported to his poverished country.

He will say things like My family knows what to say, and we have our stories straight and I have all my papers so they can't touch me...I just shake my head because he clearly underestimates the U.S. But it is so sad my friend has fallen for this guy to now find out he is married just to be an American.

They have lived in separate homes for 2 years, and my friend spends the night with him often and he rarely communicate with the wife unless some of his mail is there.. I just dont understand why he wont divorce the fake wife? He never will answer my friend.

My friend found his phone and the text exchange from fake wife is she wants out and is begging him to sign papers to leave her alone b/c he got what he wanted, he is a citizen now Not only that he hit the fake wife so she just wants hm as far away as possible.

I dont want to stereotype but it is very scary to date someone from a foreign country and have no clue about who he really is and not know his family. I told her to run..I just wondered would she be imprisoned for dating him and knowing all of that is fake.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,962 times
One can date and even marry someone from right here in the states and not really know who they are. Take a look at the divorce rates. Your friend is in no danger legally, but it sounds like she is in danger by staying with this guy. All you can do as her friend is encourage her to see that if he hit his wife, he may well hit her too and as he isn't making plans to divorce his wife there really is no long term future for them. He is using her too. What country did he come from? If you want to read more about the immigration process, heres a link. Good luck to your friend, lets hope she sees the light.

Immigration: US Citizenship and Naturalization

Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
I have a friend who is dating a man in a fraudulent marriage. He married another woman to become an American citizen and it has been granted. I want to know could my friend be held liable for knowing about the fake marriage and still dating this man?

It breaks my heart because she recently found out he still has communication with the fake wife and doesnt appear to want to divorce anytime soon, although the fake wife wants out because she feels used.

I am also disheartened about how lax he is about defrauding the U.S. he has said that he and the fake wife have all their paper work together and no one can disprove him . It pisses me off to see someone use our system to get benefits so they can take our money to their country on top of seeing my girlfriend in tears for this jerk. She has been waiting for him to divorce the fake wife which he promises but doesnt appear that is going to happen.

The fake married couple do not live together, and wife doesn't know where he lives. A mess...

Should she keep her mouth shut and just walk away?? He was not aware of the penalties and how they are severe for marriage fraud. Could she be charged for knowing this info and not saying anything. I told her to just dump him and walk away and not report anything unless you have concrete proof. But 2 lives would be in jeoparady..the fake wife and the immigrant, they could both face prison time right??
Was there ever any intent to live together as a married couple? If not, then your friend was party to the deception, especially if she accepted money to do it. She may be at risk for penalties.

It would be possible for the man to lose his citizenship and be deported:

Houston man loses U.S. citizenship in marriage fraud case - Houston Chronicle

Man Loses United States Citizenship and Sentenced for Marriage Fraud

Since his green card was obtained fraudulently, he was not eligible for citizenship.

http://www.cis.org/marriagefraud

If the couple did live together for the required amount of time, the guy may be home free, even if the marriage was a sham.

The "wife" in the sham marriage should talk with an immigration attorney for her own sake.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Was there ever any intent to live together as a married couple? If not, then your friend was party to the deception, especially if she accepted money to do it. She may be at risk for penalties.
The OP's friend isn't the wife of the man in question, she's his current girlfriend and had nothing to do with his marriage in 2007.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The OP's friend isn't the wife of the man in question, she's his current girlfriend and had nothing to do with his marriage in 2007.
Correct, I meant the man's original "wife".

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Some guys create a "fake" wife to avoid having to marry a girlfriend so that was I was wondering about. My son married a lady from the Philippines. He was active duty military and he and she had to jump through a lot of hoops to make that happen. She is not a "fake" wife though and they have been happily married for 7 years, almost 8, and she is now a citizen and so very proud to be an American. This guy sounds flakey and I wonder if there is not a "fake" wife and maybe he is wanting your friend to marry him to stay in the country yet wants to make it seem like something else. Documents that look legal are cheap and easy to come by. He appears to be feeding her a line and she seems to be taking it so there isn't much you can really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration