Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
SO legally adopted her when she was three because the parents aren't around...so essentially she is her daughter.

Okay, I won't snoop around. But I do expect some kind of honesty when I could have easily asked Mike to stay at a hotel when he arrived.
Yes, she's her daughter. Glad you're not snooping. You're absolutely right that you could have had "Mike" stay in a hotel and it was very nice of you to let him stay under your roof with his girlfriend (not all parents are so liberal). But your SO does have a right to know what's going on with her daughter (you really don't, by the way!) and you need to get to the bottom of this before the girl makes a dreadful mistake which will take a long time to extricate herself from if things go sideways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Default Damn, this takes me back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Even if the couple marries, obtaining a GC through marriage (and thus be legally employable) is a long drawn out process which sometimes takes years.
This is true, but - while the actual Green Card can drag out, the spouse of a US citizen is in fact legally employable while the USCIS machinery grinds. You need an EAD, which comes faster.

Here's how it works: No matter what, the young couple must file for the groom's change of status (I-485 - Petition for Alien Relative) once married, or he'll end up overstaying his K-1.

At the same time, the young man can (should) file I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) which has a much lower turn-around time - 30-90 days - and will provide him with an EAD, "Employment Authorization Document" - which in turn allows him to work. Presto, work permit 90 days after filing - which counts as supersonic for immigration authorities.

I strongly urge people to file I-131, Application for Travel Document ("Advance Parole") which lets him travel out of the US without abandoning his I-485 application. Just in case.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM

297 posts, read 740,798 times
Thanks again for all the responses so far.

My SO isn't concerned about all this yet as she can't confront her until they come back from their vacation. Whereas I would have picked up the dang phone and asked. But of course, patience is a virtue.

Right now, her primary concern is whether or not "Melissa" can ride under her insurance (health, car, life) plans if she becomes legally married to "Mike". What do you all think?

Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Right now, her primary concern is whether or not "Melissa" can ride under her insurance (health, car, life) plans if she becomes legally married to "Mike". What do you all think?
Well none of that is an immigration issue and the same rules would apply whether she married a US citizen or a non US citizen. Questions for another forum or the insurance carriers themselves.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:41 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I have not heard of an insurance to carry a married child no matter what age. It makes her an emancipated minor if she is under age.

The girl was adopted at three and you call her niece?

If there was a K1 petition and it did get approved - who is the sponsor?

This looks like a serious kitchen table discussion.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:28 PM

She is her biological niece, legally adopted daughter. I don't like the term "daughter" because I'm only nine years older than she is...semantics.

I'm assuming that "Melissa" is the sponsor if there is indeed a K1 Visa.

But again, we're not going to speculate until they come back. SO just wants her to realize the consequences of making long-term decisions without thinking them through. But this is the nature of love---some don't use their brains when making decisions.

I forgot to add---"Mike" claims he came in on a B2 Visa. Its just that to me, it doesn't make sense---he purchased a one way ticket to here. Wouldn't that raise some kind of suspicion to a Customs officer at the point of entry?

Last edited by xlroadster; 04-14-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
They would not let him in with a one way ticket- unless he had an onwards ticket to Canada or somewhere, or as is suspected, has an immigrant visa.

Anyone can be the financial sponsor as long as they are a US citizen or greencard holder and life in the USA and have paid taxes....

Wouldn;t be surprised if they came home and announced they got married.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM

An update:

We called Mike and asked him what kind of Visa he got. He said it is a B2 Visa.

We asked what kind of plane ticket he bought. He said it was a one-way.

When we told him we thought the POE officer wouldn't let him in since a one-way ticket doesn't show intent of returning to the UK, he said that his stay was good for six months and he didn't have to buy one before he came.

Mike also said that he just didn't see the point of buying a return ticket if he was going to get a work Visa or adjustment of status.

This all stinks of possessing that K1 Visa. Of course we didn't tell him what we thought and just acted dumb and said "OK, see ya when you get home. Enjoy your trip".

His answers just don't add up. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM

A B2 visa allows him to stay in the US for six months and it can also be extended. I don't believe a one-way ticket nullifies the visa or that a return ticket in hand is necessary for entry to the US (obviously he got in on a one-way ticket which seems to confirm the assumption). There's really no point speculating about all of this but I rather doubt he has a fiancé visa as your SO's daughter is a student so can't possibly have the financial wherewithal to be a sponsor unless she's a trust fund baby.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM

21 posts, read 14,154 times
Sounds to me like he came in on a fiancee visa if you have seen an approval notice sent to your daughter from U.S. CIS....nothing else really makes any sense. If he came as a fiancee then they must get married within 90 days and file for adjustment of status (I-485) which will allow him to get an employment card within 90 days of filing. With the employment card he can obtain a social security card and drivers license and get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration