Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,421 times

Advertisements

Hi guys ;-) I've registered to this forum as it's full of useful information. I don't live in U.S, but I'd like to move there as soon as I complete my graduate education. I come from Central Europe, I am going to study Japanese Language&Culture. Due to that, I'll know the Japanese language. Except this, I know German, English and Polish. Do you think, that when I graduate, I'll have some chances on finding a job in U.S through Internet? I know, it's worth a shot, but do American recruiters look at people outside U.S at all when they have so many people in the country? I know, I would have to have work visa, but about that employer can take care. At first, I could start with jobs like executive assistant (as I'd have experience) or Freelancer Translator. Then, when I'd earn some American experience I could be looking for something closer to my degree. What do you think?

Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,075,532 times
You will need a skilled labor work visa to work for an american employer. The visa is known as an H-visa or H1 or H1-b. With a graduate degree (MS) you will not be subject to the cap on H-visas for undergraduate workers (those with BS degrees).

To get the visa, you will have to convince an employer to hire you first, then sponsor you for the visa. It is fairly unlikely that this will happen unless you have outstanding skills. If you are fluent in multiple languages, you might have a chance, but it would help to have work experience and some positive reviews/awards/accolades to make an employer choose you.

There are no visas for freelance work. I very much doubt you will be able to find an employer who will sponsor you for a executive assistant position, and I doubt USCIS would accept that application even if they did.

Your best bet is to work as a translator in your home country for a prestigious translation company. Try to get transferred to their US operations if they have any (this would get you an L-visa). Otherwise, do outstanding work, obtain extraordinary translating skills (perfect written/spoken fluency in multiple languages, etc.) and then start applying to US-based translation companies on the strength of your abilities and resume.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,282,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalexandria View Post
At first, I could start with jobs like executive assistant (as I'd have experience) or Freelancer Translator. Then, when I'd earn some American experience I could be looking for something closer to my degree. What do you think?
Sponger42 already posted most of the important stuff.
One thing I want to add is the following: Even if you find an employer who sponsers you a work visa (H1-B) then your visa will be tied to that employer. So if you quit or get fired there you have to leave the country or find a new employer within 30 days. So switching jobs it not as easy as you might think.

You could also look into taking part in the green card lottery. However, there is no guarantee that you'll win so it's nothing that gives you any security to plan ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration