Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

I immigrated to the USA with my Parents when i was 10yrs old then became an American citizen when i was 21, by 30 i'd immigrated to Canada and became a Canadian citizen in 1986 and lived in Canada for the last 40 years., do i still have the right to vote in the upcoming American election? and if so where would i go to vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
This link should provide you with all the information you need to proceed:

20 June 2012: Message for U.S. Citizens - A July 4th Voting Reminder | Embassy of the United States Ottawa, Canada

Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I immigrated to the USA with my Parents when i was 10yrs old then became an American citizen when i was 21, by 30 i'd immigrated to Canada and became a Canadian citizen in 1986 and lived in Canada for the last 40 years., do i still have the right to vote in the upcoming American election? and if so where would i go to vote?
When you became a Canadian citizen, did you sign any paperwork giving up your U.S. citizenship? Do you have a U.S. passport? Have you been paying income taxes to the IRS?

In order to vote in the upcoming Presidential election, you'll probably need to register to vote at your last American address, even though you no longer live there. You'll also need to check deadlines for your particular state. More info here:

Federal Voting Assistance Program - Home - To Vote Absentee, Start By Telling Us Who You Are

Keep in mind that if you're not actually a U.S. citizen, there are severe penalties for registering and voting in a U.S. election.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
When you became a Canadian citizen, did you sign any paperwork giving up your U.S. citizenship? Do you have a U.S. passport? Have you been paying income taxes to the IRS?

In order to vote in the upcoming Presidential election, you'll probably need to register to vote at your last American address, even though you no longer live there. You'll also need to check deadlines for your particular state. More info here:

Federal Voting Assistance Program - Home - To Vote Absentee, Start By Telling Us Who You Are

Keep in mind that if you're not actually a U.S. citizen, there are severe penalties for registering and voting in a U.S. election.
All the information is included in the link I already provided. There is no condition that an expat registering to vote has to have paid income taxes to the IRS unless they had income from the US. Neither does an ex-pat have to have a valid passport. And of course one has to be a US citizen and prove such.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
All the information is included in the link I already provided. There is no condition that an expat registering to vote has to have paid income taxes to the IRS unless they had income from the US. Neither does an ex-pat have to have a valid passport. And of course one has to be a US citizen and prove such.
We do not know for sure that the OP is still a U.S. citizen...that is why I asked if he/she had signed any paperwork relinquishing U.S. citizenship. In addition, please see the link below with regard to filing returns with the IRS:

Quote:
The most recent Weekend Investor cover story, “What’s Next for Offshore Accounts?,” touched on a burning issue: the plight of dual citizens and Americans living abroad who should have been filing U.S. tax returns but haven’t been.

Many of these people are fully compliant with their own country’s tax laws. Yet all are supposed to be filing U.S. returns and declaring the foreign accounts, for two reasons.

One is that the U.S. system taxes all world-wide income, regardless of source. (Double taxation is lessened by a U.S. tax benefit and also by tax treaties.) The other is that Congress, alarmed by reports of international tax evasion, passed a law requiring U.S. taxpayers to report accounts abroad or else risk harsh penalties.
Dual Citizens Face Wrath of IRS - Total Return - WSJ

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
You can also contact your local American consulate for help. You will also need the exact address of the last place you lived in the USA (even if you were a child at the time) in order to register to vote using that address.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
That's not a condition of voting, but every U.S. citizen who has income is required to file a U.S. tax return regardless of their location. I lived in Europe for years and had to file a U.S. tax return each year, full-form 1040 and the 2555-EZ. Basically I was always under the foreign earned income exemption so I reported my overseas income, deducted it, zeroed out the return, signed it, and mailed it off. It took me about ten minutes per year to do my taxes, hehehehe....

Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM

441 posts, read 501,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's not a condition of voting, but every U.S. citizen who has income is required to file a U.S. tax return regardless of their location. I lived in Europe for years and had to file a U.S. tax return each year, full-form 1040 and the 2555-EZ. Basically I was always under the foreign earned income exemption so I reported my overseas income, deducted it, zeroed out the return, signed it, and mailed it off. It took me about ten minutes per year to do my taxes, hehehehe....
Ah... for the good old days. It used to take me 10 minutes too, before the invention of the FATCA, the FUBAR, etc., etc.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
Ah... for the good old days. It used to take me 10 minutes too, before the invention of the FATCA, the FUBAR, etc., etc.
I don't know what those are. I was abroad mostly from 2001 to 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration