Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

^^^ I do understand that you're simply trying to help but you're really going off on quite a tangent here where USCIS/visas/immigration is concerned. If you can find statistics to support what you originally stated then I'd be more than happy to take a look at them. In other words, and to carry on from what you've already opined:

A. How many foreign workers in any one year have applied for and received US visas allowing them to work as an au pair for a US family where special conditions involving the lifting of an up to 300lb paralyzed child are involved?

B. How many foreign workers in any one year have applied for and received US visas allowing them to work in any facility where special conditions involving the lifting of up to 500lb patients is involved?

Don't beat a dead horse unnecessarily. All it does is twitch from the blows, not because it's just comatose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
There are many foreign au pairs here on visas. The problem is it's a J-1 visa job, and the OP doesn't qualify for that type of visa.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ I do understand that you're simply trying to help but you're really going off on quite a tangent here where USCIS/visas/immigration is concerned. If you can find statistics to support what you originally stated then I'd be more than happy to take a look at them.
Ironic that this appeared on another thread today!

immigration reform summary

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Ironic that this appeared on another thread today!

immigration reform summary
Ironically this "W" visa proposal has been kicking around since it was introduced I think around 2002 (maybe even earlier) and has been "reinvented" in the last six months or so ...

Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What are you smoking?

There are many foreign trained medical doctors in the United States who work menial jobs because they can't practice medicine here.

Immigrants Seek to Be Doctors Again - NYTimes.com

Why your waiter has an M.D. – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

Foreign-born Medical Graduate Immigrats and Refugees' Low-wage Lifestyle

I posted the link for anyone who wants to look up the degree equivalency requirement I mentioned in my post.

It was very clear to me. After all, I got it right when I read the following.
What am I smoking?

Do you know how these doctors are entering?

They're entering as asylees and refugees. They're not being trained in the U.S. Once they enter as an asylee, they have to find a way to convert their foreign education into a US equivalent. Which is hard because they need money to do that and money is hard to come by when you enter the U.S. with only the clothes on your back.

(That third link you posted can't even spell "immigrant" properly. It appears to be someone's writing assignment for a class.)

If they entered as student or as an H1B, they will most usually be employed in their line of work. If they enter as a refugee or asylee, then they won't, or it will take them a while due to language barriers and finances.

If they don't learn English, they'll never rise to the level they were at home. It's that simple for anyone who enters any country without knowing the language. If you're claiming to be a doctor, then you should be able to learn English in 4 years, if you choose to tackle it. But if you sit around moping about the old country and how great you used to be, you won't succeed in the U.S.

That's true for anyone.

And guess what?

I don't feel bad for them.

Not one iota.

I want my doctor to fully understand the symptoms I'm explaining and what treatment options are available. I don't want someone to cover me in animal urine, do a dance and light a candle to heal me.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM

89 posts, read 135,960 times
Most foreign doctors that come to the US end up being paramedics. Their education dosent seem to count here and like the poster above said they are too poor or old to start school from scratch here.

But also a lot of rich people from other countries do come here attend medical school and become doctors.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It shouldn't be difficult to come here legally on an H2A visa and there are no caps on those visas except that employers don't want to make the effort when they can just hire illegals.

If immigration laws were enforced, them there would be more pressure on employers to sponsor immigrants the right way.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Come to USA on Student visa for Master's Degree in Accounting. After MS you get OPT period for 1 year atleast where you can find work and an employer who can file for H-1B visa for you since you will have American Degree. People have done that.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 3,988 times
Am a nigerian and thinking of migrating to usa,but i don't know which category of visa to apply for because i have a 3rd class qualification in political science and public administration in a prestigious nigerian university

Old 07-05-2015, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 3,988 times
I am a nigerian.i jst finished my bachelor program in public administration.i am thinking of furthering my education(master program) in the usa and intend to work while studying.pls is it possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration