Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Maybe I’m reading into this wrongly, but part 3 and part 5, of the “Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America”, seem to require this.

USCIS - Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America
This is the "kicker" in the double citizenship issue. America allows double citizenship, but also has this oath. They are contradictory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
This is the "kicker" in the double citizenship issue. America allows double citizenship, but also has this oath. They are contradictory.
I believe you are incorrect. The US does not allow or condone dual citizenship but recognizes the right of other countries to set their own rules where that's concerned. They pretty much stand alone in this area ...

Multiple citizenship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
It doesn't say "die", it says "defend/ support"- big difference.
But to answer your question- yes, if I felt it was necessary (NOT if I was told to- if in my personal opinion it was necessary to safe my family and friends in this country).

There are people who never take citizenship and remain greencard holders for life because of the oath.
I'd find it hard to separate the two, defend, is often to die for. I don't think it is you, that is to be given the decision.

Is there anything negative to just keeping the greencard status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I would tend to see it that way too. One also needs to know fully, what one is swearing an oath to.

Sorry for not answering all posts, but I don't want to clutter the thread.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Is there anything negative to just keeping the greencard status?[/b]
You aren't allowed to vote in political elections and can't run for public office; if you're convicted of a felony you may face deportation and not be allowed to re-enter the US. As as I remember those are the major points. Probably not anything you're going to have to worry about, though.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Many men and women from other countries serve in our armed forces and are not granted citizenship. That's a pretty hefty sacrifice in my book.
It is an expedited (one year) cost-free process for them to naturalize, but you do bring up the valid point that someone can serve (and die) without being a citizen. Marine Sergeant Rafael Peralta is one notable example. Of course this contrasts with Swedes and Prussians immigrating to the United States a century and a half ago to avoid mandatory military conscription of the males in their native countries.

It might be informational for members to also state with their opinion whether they have served (in either a native or adopted country's military), and if they had citizenship status. I'm a native citizen (with an immigrant spouse and children) that served a total of 22 years in both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy. Was it at a risk of life and limb?

Most definitely...

Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Storm View Post
Thank you for your service...
There is a correction that needs to be made however. I was under the impression that Marine Sgt. Peralta died while still a legal resident (he arrived in the United States as an illegal alien), but wikipedia says "He later became an American citizen while serving in the Marine Corps". Guess I was cross-confused with another hero (that also immigrated illegally when his parents died in Guatemala), Marine Lance Corporal Jose Gutierrez:

Quote:
One of the first U.S. servicemen killed in combat in Iraq was not a citizen of the country for which he sacrificed his life.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Maybe I’m reading into this wrongly, but part 3 and part 5, of the “Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America”, seem to require this.

USCIS - Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America
If you want to be a be a citizen, absolutely.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,885 times
I wouldn't die for any country. What good would it do?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,122,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I wouldn't die for any country. What good would it do?
Women shouldn't to die on the war or serve in the army as a combat soldier.
I know and I hope you know too, that in WWII many Russian women fought and died for their homeland at the front. But it was a terrible time. Today it is not good, it's wrong.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
Women shouldn't to die on the war or serve in the army as a combat soldier.
I know and I hope you know too, that in WWII many Russian women fought and died for their homeland at the front. But it was a terrible time. Today it is not good, it's wrong.
And it is any better for the men?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration