Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 20,414 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
Please help me in this regards
i have valid 10 years b 1 visa , right now i m in USA, i want change my status to F1 visa. is it possible ?
What financial documents do we need?
how many days it will take to change of status?
after getting I20 do we need Embassy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
De jure it's possible but de facto not really.

Since you indicated tourist/business as a reason for entry on your B1, you can't suddenly change yourself to student. You would need to wait at least 2 months or so before applying for F1. I don't think application for changing the status will extend your current I-94, hence unless your current I-94 is for 6 months or more you probably won't make it before your F1 status is approved.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
I know people who have done it; their purpose for using the B2 was to tour universities, then once they decided on one, switched to an F1. It's one of the few "visa switches" that is possible from within the USA without going via the embassy in your home country. That being said, you are starting at an awkward time in the academic year; it may be easier to return to your home country and start in the spring or next fall semester.

As to how much money you need; you need to proof you can pay the fees, and support yourself, as you will not be allowed to work outside of 20 hours on campus work, which can be difficult to come by. How much money that is exactly will depend on the school and where you study- NY is naturally more expensive than Ohio state...

Old 10-22-2010, 04:51 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
De jure it's possible but de facto not really.

Since you indicated tourist/business as a reason for entry on your B1, you can't suddenly change yourself to student. You would need to wait at least 2 months or so before applying for F1. I don't think application for changing the status will extend your current I-94, hence unless your current I-94 is for 6 months or more you probably won't make it before your F1 status is approved.
It doesn't matter IF he / she applies before the expiration date of his / her I-94. He / she will be legally in the US even after the expiration date of his / her I-94.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I know people who have done it; their purpose for using the B2 was to tour universities, then once they decided on one, switched to an F1. It's one of the few "visa switches" that is possible from within the USA without going via the embassy in your home country. That being said, you are starting at an awkward time in the academic year; it may be easier to return to your home country and start in the spring or next fall semester.
Depending on a program of study, many schools accept students 4-5 times per year, on an ongoing basis.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
It doesn't matter IF he / she applies before the expiration date of his / her I-94. He / she will be legally in the US even after the expiration date of his / her I-94.
Do you have any reliable source for this?
Doesn't make sense why petition for F-1 should extend I-94 of B1 or whatever new status you'll be. Could be, I just never heard of it.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Do you have any reliable source for this?
Doesn't make sense why petition for F-1 should extend I-94 of B1 or whatever new status you'll be. Could be, I just never heard of it.
Petition to change the status will not extend I-94. However, if you file BEFORE the expiraton date on the current I-94, you can stay in the US LEGALLY until your status is changed even after the expiration date of your I-94. Lots of people do it all the time. Nothing new about it.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Petition to change the status will not extend I-94. However, if you file BEFORE the expiraton date on the current I-94, you can stay in the US LEGALLY until your status is changed even after the expiration date of your I-94. Lots of people do it all the time. Nothing new about it.
I understand. But is there any official document about it besides "lots of people doing it"?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I understand. But is there any official document about it besides "lots of people doing it"?
USCIS - I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status

Click on "Download Instruction for Form I-539" (it's a PDF file). Go to page 1. The very first sentence under "When should I use form I-539" says: "You must submit the application before your current authorized stay expires".

This is the first thing I saw, and I think, it should satisfy you. While this sentence does not directly mentions that you can stay in the US after the expiration date of your I-94, it does give you a clear idea that you can. If it's not enough, you're invited to go through the whole thing. It's a 10 page document and should be a good read. The file gives you a lot of other first hand info regarding the change of status, as well. Have fun!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 19,099 times
I am Business visa holder I came to Visit the Universities, I Found one University which suitable to me, I applied and got I-20 and applied for change of status B1 /B2 to F1 by e filing. Now I want to Visit India,
Is it possible to Travel India.
and approach Us consulate in my Area to get F1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration