Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:49 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
4 pages of useless posts and not one person mentions the key reason why you would go from a Green Card to Citizenship.

You gain the most powerful book in the world, an United States Passport.

Sure, voting's fine and dandy, but that small blue book basically grants you visa-free entry to a majority of the industrialized world.
We have a winner.

Mostly because immigrating to Finland and Sweden is hard as heck. UK is probably about the same as the US of A, but they have a grand total of zero spots with decent climate. So yeah, U-S-A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM

82 posts, read 360,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
4 pages of useless posts and not one person mentions the key reason why you would go from a Green Card to Citizenship.

You gain the most powerful book in the world, an United States Passport.

Sure, voting's fine and dandy, but that small blue book basically grants you visa-free entry to a majority of the industrialized world.
I did mention it ...look back! First page!

And while the Scandis may be a bit ahead of it, I am sure a US passport beats those of 99% of people who can naturalise. It sure as heck beats the one I currently have hands down!

Old 11-14-2014, 09:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
UK is probably about the same as the US of A, but they have a grand total of zero spots with decent climate. So yeah, U-S-A.
Forgive me but I'm missing your point!! I've been a US permanent resident alien for 46 years now and it's just never been a priority to become a US citizen.

If the discussion is to revolve around on which passport you can most easily travel then the only difference in the past was negligible. I could always (and still can) go to Cuba (if thems were my druthers) without going through a lot of the bureaucratic tangles which holders of US passports have to go through. And now with an EU passport I could (if thems was my druthers) seek and obtain work throughout the EU community much more easily than can a US citizen. I don't understand what "climate" has to do with anything.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Forgive me but I'm missing your point!! I've been a US permanent resident alien for 46 years now and it's just never been a priority to become a US citizen.

If the discussion is to revolve around on which passport you can most easily travel then the only difference in the past was negligible. I could always (and still can) go to Cuba (if thems were my druthers) without going through a lot of the bureaucratic tangles which holders of US passports have to go through. And now with an EU passport I could (if thems was my druthers) seek and obtain work throughout the EU community much more easily than can a US citizen. I don't understand what "climate" has to do with anything.
You have one of the few remaining ones with no expiration))
Renewal can be an effort and a financial burden especially for seniors. I naturalized after 33 years because it opened the only option for a family member to leave a supposedly abusive spouse. Well - the move did not happen.
Regaining EU citizenship is not that difficult but I have no real reasons to return. Could have retained it but hindsight is 20/20.
I did not realize that I kept my spouse from promotions/transfers.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:

The point is that the US passport is easier to get. So while the Finnish and Swedish passports are the most amazing things invented (until they lost the title to the luggage with wheels), the average immigrant will be better served by going to the US of A and getting a blue book eventually.

The UK one is about as tough to get as the US one, so you have to break the tie through other means. Waiting for your passport in South Fl beats waiting for it in Manchester in all accounts.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
The point is that the US passport is easier to get. So while the Finnish and Swedish passports are the most amazing things invented (until they lost the title to the luggage with wheels), the average immigrant will be better served by going to the US of A and getting a blue book eventually.

The UK one is about as tough to get as the US one, so you have to break the tie through other means. Waiting for your passport in South Fl beats waiting for it in Manchester in all accounts.
You're losing me - must be the weather today as I seem to have been "lost" a few times. You can't get a UK passport unless you're a citizen of the UK and you can't get a US passport unless you're a US citizen. I've no clue what you're comparing what to. I renewed my UK passport a couple of years ago and since I'm outside the UK I had to mail it stateside to the UK Embassy. Got the new one in a week. Are you mixing up passports with citizenship when referring to ease of acquisition?

Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Are you mixing up passports with citizenship when referring to ease of acquisition?
Yeah, that's right. I used the word passport when I meant its prerrequisite, citizenship. Sorry for the mixup.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Phew - thought I was losing my mind there for a bit!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:00 PM

431 posts, read 599,675 times
From a personal point of view, I've been a permanent resident for 13 years and feel no need to get citizenship. At this stage, I have no intention of retiring in the US and the myriad of financial (FACTA anyone) and taxation issues just doesn't make it an attractive proposition. My current passport allows me to go pretty much anywhere I want to and gives me a lot more freedom to live and settle elsewhere than a US one, so that's not an attraction either.
The only thing that gives me a little pause for thought is that policies can change and at some time in the future I may not have the same rights to work and live here as a citizen. If that were to happen, I probably wouldn't want to stay anyway.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:45 PM

919 posts, read 848,041 times
Quote:
You can't get a UK passport unless you're a citizen of the UK
I thought there were no citizens of UK. Aren't they still the Queen's subjects?
Don't know about those toadies and hangers-on like Canadians and Australians and NZers - probably them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration