Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Give me a break. It costs about 600 bucks. IF the man in question is married to a US citizen its a matter of application fee's background check and biometrics. The fact that he has a work visa means that he has passed a background check and gone through biometrics atleast once.
Its not hard, it is tedious and filled with redundancy.
Firts he will get a 2 year perm. resident card( green card) After 18 months he can apply for the 10 year card. After 3 years he can go for citizenship.
The fast track if you are a US citizen or have your own perm resident card is to sponcer him yourself. Total time 6 to 9 months. Costs about 1200.00.
A lawyer is pricey but they can definetely be of help.
Uh, no - people here have spent between $5,000-7,000 to go from H-1 to a green card. They have to be sponsored by their company (in the cases I deal with), and it takes at least a year. They cannot do it without a lawyer, so that's why it costs so much.
Perhaps it's cheaper if you marry a citizen, but I don't deal with those cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I'd like to see actually statistics on this. I very much doubt that many of the green card holders around here ever spent $5000 to $7000 to get it. One green card holder I know of personally never made much more than that much a year, he works part time as a seasonal farm worker, is an alcoholic receiving disability.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'd like to see actually statistics on this. I very much doubt that many of the green card holders around here ever spent $5000 to $7000 to get it. One green card holder I know of personally never made much more than that much a year, he works part time as a seasonal farm worker, is an alcoholic receiving disability.
Maybe he didn't use a lawyer. But, here, in Boston, there's no way around it.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 AM

18 posts, read 96,161 times
Quote:
One shouldn't confuse employment based applications with family based applications. It is very expensive to get an employment based green card and the wait time is long - YEARS.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:58 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
Quote:
Certainly $600 isn't much of an investment considering what the green card entitles you to after.
I nver heard of $ 600.- how can that be so low, any lawyer charges you at least $ 3,000.- for a family of 4 to have the application handled, on top of that you have the visa costs and other expenses like ticket to fly back home to get the actual visa since that has changed since 9/11. Thanks to the terrorist!!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Uh, no - people here have spent between $5,000-7,000 to go from H-1 to a green card. They have to be sponsored by their company (in the cases I deal with), and it takes at least a year. They cannot do it without a lawyer, so that's why it costs so much.
Perhaps it's cheaper if you marry a citizen, but I don't deal with those cases.
I hear what you are saying but the op said her husband. In which case if she is a citizen its not difficult or expensive. But even at 5 to 7g that is cheap compared to other places. Thailand I believe you need to have 25g in a thai bank before you can even apply for perm residence.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I nver heard of $ 600.- how can that be so low, any lawyer charges you at least $ 3,000.- for a family of 4 to have the application handled, on top of that you have the visa costs and other expenses like ticket to fly back home to get the actual visa since that has changed since 9/11. Thanks to the terrorist!!
545.00 to go from 2 year resident to perm or 10 year residence. The first one was about 1200.00 Didn't need a lawyer but I hired one anyway because I hate paper work and it looked more intimidating than it actually is. I hired an american lawyer in Thailand cost was $1200.00 for his service. That service included all forms filled out,His assistant went with us to the embassy and they basically held our hand through the process. We filed in June of 04 she was in america in dec 04 with a visa. 6 months later she had her 2 year green card.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:38 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,562 times
I've seldom read so much rubbish in any one thread! There are many different routes to obtain LPR in the U.S. and anyone who is seriously considering this needs to be wary of threads like this. The majority of what's been posted here is at best half-truths and at worst speculative nonsense. You can't generalize like this without a lot more info including what the person's current immigration status is.

A Green Card is a type of visa.

Employment-based green cards can be very quick to process (a few months) or very long (several years) depending on circumstance. Family-based applications vary even more.

You don't need a lawyer (even though it's often advisable).

Location makes no difference (yes, even Boston).

In any application - most of the expense is wrapped up in lawyers fees if one is used.

Not every immigrant can apply (depends on their visa type and/or circumstances).

Old 07-19-2008, 06:19 AM

106 posts, read 307,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Give me a break. It costs about 600 bucks. IF the man in question is married to a US citizen its a matter of application fee's background check and biometrics. The fact that he has a work visa means that he has passed a background check and gone through biometrics atleast once.
Its not hard, it is tedious and filled with redundancy.
Firts he will get a 2 year perm. resident card( green card) After 18 months he can apply for the 10 year card. After 3 years he can go for citizenship.
The fast track if you are a US citizen or have your own perm resident card is to sponcer him yourself. Total time 6 to 9 months. Costs about 1200.00.
A lawyer is pricey but they can definetely be of help.
You don't do biometrics for a work visa.

Also a permanent resident can sponsor a spouse however the spouse must wait outside the US and they are currently processing people who applied in 2002 or something like that. There is no such wait if the sponsoring spouse is a US resident.

There are different classes of employment based permanent resident visas (green cards) and they are dependent on skill level, education and the requirements of the job. A person who is applying based on a job which requires a BS only will have about a 5 + year wait. Persons with MS degrees and a job that requires it currently have a 1+ year wait.

In addition those wait times do not include the time it takes to advertise the job. There is a process which must be undertaken to ensure that no qualified americans can do the job or want the job. That process can take 3 months to 6 months only after that process is completed can you move on to the next phase of the green card application process.

I don't know about costs but for employment based green cards it must be done by the employer (unless you have a PhD and are an outstanding researcher/scientist). So the OP's husband may need to get his employer on board. There are a number of immigration forums that can give more information like murthy, immigration voice (although heavily biased toward Indian nationals and they always hound you for money), immigration portal and trackitt.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 AM

742 posts, read 2,067,748 times
Quote:
I'd like to see actually statistics on this. I very much doubt that many of the green card holders around here ever spent $5000 to $7000 to get it.
I spent nearly $4K on my Permanent Residency. Includes legal expenses. Two years later, another $2K for extension. BTW, my spouse sponsored me.

The employer I was with while I was seeking Green Card told me flat out that I am eligible in 15 years. 15 years! Then I met my wife, and it took 8 months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration