Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
No one says OP should be banned.
Well, oregonwoodsmoke did express her opinion that folks who deliberately renounce their US citizenship should not be allowed to reenter the US for any reason. But that's her opinion only, and certainly not the current opinion of the US Department of State. And it's the State Department's opinion that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
No one says OP should be banned. You are incorrect. The applicant has to show ties to the home country - will OP return to Kenya and why?
He said he will obtain a public office position, where? I assume in Kenya, this is enough reason to qualify for a tourist visa. He will not overstay his tourist visa when he renounced his US citizenship! Or will he?

Old 09-24-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
He will not overstay his tourist visa when he renounced his US citizenship! Or will he?
I think that's what makes predicting how a visa request will go tricky. If the OP renounces his US citizenship, that would certainly seem to be a very strong indication that he has no desire to ever live long-term in the US in the future. But if his family is primarily located in the US, and he has no familial ties to Kenya (only job ties), could a request for a visa be taken as a hint that he regrets his decision to give up citizenship and wants to "sneak back in" and live in the US illegally with family?

I think the longer he lives in Kenya before applying for a tourist visa, and the more social as well as job ties he can build in that country, the better his chances he'll be granted a B1/B2 visa. But only the Department of State knows for sure!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
You will become "stateless". I am not sure if the US signed the relevant UN convention covering stateless individuals, or if it is even relevant since you will be doing this voluntarily. But if you are lucky enough to be able to stay, you certainly can't travel anywhere; can't get a legal job, bank account, driver's' license, etc., etc.
How is he stateless? He has dual citizenships, US/Kenya. He renounces the US, stays Kenyan.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Well, oregonwoodsmoke did express her opinion that folks who deliberately renounce their US citizenship should not be allowed to reenter the US for any reason. But that's her opinion only, and certainly not the current opinion of the US Department of State. And it's the State Department's opinion that matters.
Thanks God !!!!

Old 09-24-2016, 04:22 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
He said he will obtain a public office position, where? I assume in Kenya, this is enough reason to qualify for a tourist visa. He will not overstay his tourist visa when he renounced his US citizenship! Or will he?
Do you have a crystal ball?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Do you have a crystal ball?
If he proves that he has a residence and a job in the country from where he departs - Kenya - he will be granted a visa, since he will certainly return and not overstay his visa, especially if he renounced the US citizenship.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
If he proves that he has a residence and a job in the country from where he departs - Kenya - he will be granted a visa...
You don't know that. None of us know that. We don't know what counts as a red flag to the relevant authorities actually making the decision; we can only guess. We do know that a fairly high percentage of Kenyan citizens are denied visas to the US when they apply for them. The OP shouldn't renounce his US citizenship unless he's willing to risk being denied entry, because it could happen.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:25 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Are you speaking about yourself?
lol! that one really is about himself. he's superior to everyone else here when he's supposedly asking for "free" advice.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
uhh, in my opinion, you're wrong. why would i waste time and money for information i might have gotten here for free?

what's it to you anyway? if you don't want to be productive or otherwise feel this is a wasteful exercise, you're always welcome to not contribute.

instead you're being suggestively insulting. if I'm "that educated"...wtf is that supposed to mean? If you want to call me stupid, just go outright and say it instead of hiding behind snide passive aggressive remarks.

go do something else, imo. notice that, in the post preceding yours, your "obvious course of action" is considered futile. but then again, i get the feeling you're rather young and still don't have the ability to see beyond your nose. if you were born in "98", your abrasive comments make sense. if you weren't born in "98", you sure act like it. but that's my opinion..

i wasn't whining, i was stating opinions and related factors. they are hardly novel opinions in any case. the issue of immigration policy and its effects on families is a long standing discussion. dissenting opinions are to be expected. sorry that anything that isn't in direct agreement with the status quo is deemed whining by you, perhaps in time when your prefrontal cortex is more developed you'll figure out the difference. I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm saying your brain is probably not developed enough to appreciate those nuanced differences. How old are you?

here's a link to a current debate going on in the politics section about something similar..
Hillary campaign says the entire third world has a "RIGHT" to move to the United States ?

anyway, cheers..

WTF? you know what the means. and if you don't worry about your 30k debt, then why bother seeking free advice from people whom you think are beneath you anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration