Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,372,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
I did...

Going to school was the better option..

I have no regrets.
Stop worrying. The US inevitably sucks up to those locally in power particularity those who have some US ties. If you actually get elected to some post of import or even become a successful business man the US will love you. In fact if you play your cards right they will seek you out. Make sure you state that you reluctantly and with great sadness have to severe your US ties. Do it right and they will love you. Short of heading an anti-US political group the US will love you. Attend, if you can, US government sponsored events. Suck up to the middle guys out wandering around. Love the US. They all file reports that go into the system. A couple of reports like that and you waltz to a visa when you want one.

This is not hard stuff. The US loves friendlies. And you can be one without public notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,356,553 times
Quote:
...uh...

What I meant is that 30k isn't enough of a consideration to influence my actions.
yeah, enough for you to whine about it here.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,339,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
By whom and based on what? Cases? Laws?

I will postulate that the Feds publish some words frowning on it...but these do not appear to have any basis in law or cases.
How can a person pledge allegiance to 2 countries?
Therefore there are countries who do not accept dual citizenships.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,356,553 times
Quote:
I have enough education in me to want to understand the full weight of a decision before I make one. Hence, this thread...

Though I think the best advice I've been given so far is that I need to speak to a lawyer.

and again, if you're THAT educated, then this should have been your first course of action--not whining in this forum about your 30k debt, slavery, about how US immigration policy rips families apart (even with laws and squiggly lines on the map to show governance/sovereignty clearly), how only you can have the humanitarian right to visit family here in the US AT WILL even after renouncing US citizenship, etc

Old 09-24-2016, 06:56 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
As far as I know, there are no major legal issues with dual citizenship as far as the US is concerned. But when it comes to running for high political offices, I could certainly see it being a campaign-killer if the candidate's foreign citizenship involved a country the US hasn't always gotten along with. It's one thing for a candidate to hold dual US/Canadian citizenship like Ted Cruz. I can't imagine someone holding dual US/Russian, US/Chinese, or US/Iranian citizenship being electable, though. That person would face the same choice the OP is complaining about facing. And for very understandable reasons!

The OP is right: for some career tracks, (especially in politics, national security, and the military) dual citizenship is a liability. He has to decide which matters most to him: freely visiting his family in the States, or holding a government office in Kenya. No matter how much he complains, he can't have both.
US military allows dual citizenship but not in an MOS requiring clearance.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:30 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
At the Hague?

..but no, speak to a lawyer to grasp full legal ramifications..
Unfortunately an attorney can't answer the question that concerns you most, namely how likely it is that the Department of State will approve your application for a B1/B2 tourist visa once you only have Kenyan citizenship.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
But, shouldn't there be? I mean, a man has the right to visit his mother regardless of the musings of man written down in ink on mulch. They'd be denying me a fundamental human right..it doesn't seem fair.
It called rules.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:08 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
So, the question is: should a person who willingly denounces their US citizenship still have the full legal rights of a US citizen?

My opinion is "no" and they should be banned from reentering the USA, not even with a visa obtained as a citizen of foreign country.

Need to visit your mother? Have her meet you in Mexico.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:17 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Quote:
It's called nature.
You clearly need to learn a LOT more about nature. Most social animals (humans included) are territorial, and can't freely roam between territories at all. Once an animal switches groups, it can never go back.

If you want to be 100% certain that you can continue to visit your mother in the US, you need to retain your US citizenship. And since Kenya doesn't allow dual citizens to hold public office, that means giving up the idea of holding a government position in Kenya. If you give up your US citizenship, there is a chance (and none of us can know how large or small that chance is) that you will be denied a tourist visa and won't be able to visit your mother on US soil. That's how things are now, and how they are likely to remain for the foreseeable future. So choose which matters to you most: visiting your mother in the US, or a political career in Kenya.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
Quote:
It's called nature.
If you're going to become a big-shot politician in Kenya, you should just move your mom there with you.
Then you can cut your ties with the horrible United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration