Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Were you born yesterday? All lawyers are blood sucking leeches. Every single one of them.
Hmm. Next time you are sued, or if (God forbid) you are mistakenly accused of a crime, call a plumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 AM

1,225 posts, read 606,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
US immigration processes are too complex, so you need a lawyer.

I did say "complex", not restrictive. You can have restrictive policies without the complexities that only a full time practitioner can understand.
Not true at all. In fact I'd say the majority do not use one

Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Were you born yesterday? All lawyers are blood sucking leeches. Every single one of them.
Hmm - what about all the lawyers who do pro bono work on immigration cases and asylum requests.
And what about .. oh never mind. Idiocy is idiocy.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:10 PM

142 posts, read 97,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Hmm - what about all the lawyers who do pro bono work on immigration cases and asylum requests.
And what about .. oh never mind. Idiocy is idiocy.
Yeah, actually I had the help from Catholic Charities. I think I only paid $200 fee and of course the fee for application.

Quote:
Yap. That's why most of my family just applied for their application themselves. My sister who is a doctor, mind, consulted an attorney and found their fees ridiculous so she said, she will just do it herself, LOL. And my niece recently got her citizenship ceremony and when I asked her how much she paid. She was like, just the application fee. I said you did not use a lawyer? She said nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
wow, if they are that dumb/of low IQ, i can only imagine how much of a burden to society they are/will be. what kinds of jobs are they holding here considering they don't speak english or understand very little of it, and they are that dumb/of low IQ? as indicated earlier, they should not have been here in the first place
WTF. It's not like Americans are known for their brains, FYI. Americans are well known as idiots. LOL. But ya exhibit A why you have the joke of a President now. Wow.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:53 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwisita View Post
Yeah, actually I had the help from Catholic Charities. I think I only paid $200 fee and of course the fee for application.

Yap. That's why most of my family just applied for their application themselves. My sister who is a doctor, mind, consulted an attorney and found their fees ridiculous so she said, she will just do it herself, LOL. And my niece recently got her citizenship ceremony and when I asked her how much she paid. She was like, just the application fee. I said you did not use a lawyer? She said nope.

WTF. It's not like Americans are known for their brains, FYI. Americans are well known as idiots. LOL. But ya exhibit A why you have the joke of a President now. Wow.

yeah but they are citizens, not foreigners. why would you want to add more to the "dumb" pool with some more of the "dumb" foreigners? Wow

Old 05-04-2017, 02:35 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,901 times
Most work in immigration law firms is filling out forms that anyone capable of reading English can fill out. However, companies don't like to be on the hook for things, so they will hire lawyers for the simplest things imaginable. In other cases, the requesters are lazy or cautious and prefer to have "a professional" handling things. It's like taxes... you can do them easily in TurboTax, or fill the forms yourself, but a lot of people will pay more to do it with "a professional."

And finally, we have the people who have trouble with the language or don't have basic reading skills. They use immigration lawyers for simple stuff too. Whether zilam98 likes them or not, they can and do it.

There are other tasks that do require more knowledge, such as litigation before immigration courts, invoking certain immigration rules that have a lot of conditions or depend on court precedent. In those cases one is wiser to retain an immigration attorney rather than going alone.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Reason is because most of the time, there is little a lawyer can do, so they are just selling false hopes, but in the end, it is pretty set in stone what the issue is, and no amount of debating or delay tactics will change that. They are in too need of money to tell their clients that they have no chance in hell.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:02 AM

421 posts, read 205,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus
Reason is because most of the time, there is little a lawyer can do, so they are just selling false hopes, but in the end, it is pretty set in stone what the issue is, and no amount of debating or delay tactics will change that. They are in too need of money to tell their clients that they have no chance in hell.
I suspect this is usually the case, *especially* in the case of lower-income and low-IQ clients. Or at least, I haven't really heard of white/gringo clients having the same experience of getting strung along or ripped off. My understanding is that there's not much a lawyer can actually "do" and that USCIS has final say in everything.

But that still doesn't stop these lawyers from promising the WORLD, it seems people will say ANYTHING to get easy money in this economy

To be honest, I have far more respect for legit/honest attorneys that just flat-out tell their potential clients "you don't qualify" or "I'm sorry, there isn't anything you can do" than the smooth-talker/liar types that say "Oh yeah! Just write me a check for $3k and I'll get your immigration paperwork sorted out FAST!!"

Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
In other countries, like UK EU Australia Canada, legal residents can file for Citizenship, Permanent Residency themselves by filling the forms and submitting applications without the need for attorneys.
In USA, even for legitimate cases like work visa or Optional Practical Training after degree by Foreign Student, immigration lawyers are unnecessarily involved in the process.
I have a friend who is a Ph.D. in Engineering. He was applying for a Green card under EB-1 category highly skilled. Hos lawyer has already charged him more then $10000 and still there is a long way to go.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
I suspect this is usually the case, *especially* in the case of lower-income and low-IQ clients. Or at least, I haven't really heard of white/gringo clients having the same experience of getting strung along or ripped off. My understanding is that there's not much a lawyer can actually "do" and that USCIS has final say in everything.

But that still doesn't stop these lawyers from promising the WORLD, it seems people will say ANYTHING to get easy money in this economy

To be honest, I have far more respect for legit/honest attorneys that just flat-out tell their potential clients "you don't qualify" or "I'm sorry, there isn't anything you can do" than the smooth-talker/liar types that say "Oh yeah! Just write me a check for $3k and I'll get your immigration paperwork sorted out FAST!!"
Problem with saying that outright is a client suing you for malpractice when they hear they had a case and didn't pursue it based on your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration