Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:40 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You make a good point. I love how someone with just a GED, a low IQ test score, and misdemeanor convictions can become a law enforcement officer, as long as they are a US citizen. The job requirements are interesting, to say the least. There is probably no other job that someone with those qualifications can get that will pay them a six-figure salary.
None of this is true in many areas. Where I live, you need at least an associates degree in criminal justice to become a city police officer. If you want to be promoted, you need a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. To become a sheriff or state trooper, you need a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. You can't have convictions either. The base pay is far below 6 figures as well. Some earn that much because of the overtime they work.

Surely, if you worked a job every day where you were put in serious harm's way, you'd deserve to be justly compensated. Police officers die every day on the job because of lunatics. Look at what just happened outside of Watertown, NY. State trooper killed in a cold blood murder responding to a 911 domestic violence call. Countless officers are hit by crazy drivers on our roads all the time as well. It's a thankless job sadly. It's job that many really could never handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:47 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Why does a police officer has to be a US citzen? Sorry but that makes no sense, just because a person was born in a county does it make him or her qualified to be a cop? Yes i know there are a bunch of others requirements but being a citizen is one of them.
They need to be able to obtain a permit to be able to carry and possess a fire arm. You can't just get a permit in many states. There's a very long process. You have to get finger printed and receive government clearance after a background check.

In my state, you also must be a state resident with a valid driver's license. You also have be at least 21 years old unless your HONORABLY discharged from the US military or state national guard.

There's nothing in the state law that one must be a US citizen. All of these rules vary by state, county, and local municipality.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:01 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Why does a police officer has to be a US citzen? Sorry but that makes no sense, just because a person was born in a county does it make him or her qualified to be a cop? Yes i know there are a bunch of others requirements but being a citizen is one of them.
Cutting through the non-relevant garbage on this thread.

Yes most police departments (not all) require a police officer to be a US citizen. A few will accept legal residents. Someone here illegally is not eligible for reasons that should be obvious. The benefit for citizens over residents is because of the nature of the job - A US citizen denotes certain legal rights and duties over a non-citizen. But we are getting into social contract theories that are outside the scope of the discussion.

No you do not need to be born in the US to be a citizen, and thus you do not need to be born in the US to be a LEO. The police departments in some of our cities are full of naturalized citizens.

To answer some of the silly remarks on this thread:
1.) Police work is a civil service job that is traditionally not well paid, but they may have good benefits. I am not aware of any departments that start at triple digit salaries.
2.) Requirement vary from department to department, usually a college degree is required. A department like the FBI requires nothing less than a law degree (or at least that is the suggested path to employment).

Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
You make a good point. I love how someone with just a GED, a low IQ test score, and misdemeanor convictions can become a law enforcement officer, as long as they are a US citizen. The job requirements are interesting, to say the least. There is probably no other job that someone with those qualifications can get that will pay them a six-figure salary.

VERY FEW police officers make 6 figures and most need a Bachelors degree!

Old 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Quote:
A prime example of the FUD factor.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
If not a US citizen (naturalized or born here), then what is the alternative besides a green card? One must be here legally to be employed (per e-verify). I would think the loyalty factor, carrying a firearm, and having a clean record, among others, are minimum background requirements for law enforcement.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:20 PM

776 posts, read 956,344 times
For those that don't know...

A person with a green card/ legal immigrant ..... can join the US military, and about 8,900 people a year do just.

It is not unusual for non US citizens to be sworn in as a US citizen in uniform, while serving on overseas active duty in the US military.

link. How to Join the U.S. Army If You Are Not a U.S. Citizen | Chron.com

XXX.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
For those that don't know...
Or maybe we do know...but it's simply not the topic that was asked or is being discussed.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
You make a good point.<>
No, they didn't. Neither did you.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Here in Brazil where i reside now you need to be a citizen...makes no sense to me...if a person can communicate and pass the written exams, physical and psychological who cares if he or she is Brazilian, German, British, American...I could understand if there was a shortage of jobs but it ins't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration