Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:54 PM

146 posts, read 174,675 times

Advertisements

I've had a few friends that were naturalised in Canada, UK, Ireland but never known any in the US. They all came from 'third world' (archaic term now known as developing) countries that are pretty damn corrupt so I wondered that with enough money could they 'scrub' their criminal records or would these agencies find them?

Focusing on the US Citizenship service, what exactly is the whole process when someone applies? I would have assumed that the egotistical pride that some Americans have about their country and work would be highly apparent in their citizenship process. Checking every detail to see if people are eligible moreso than many other countries. There's even a question I believe that asks Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?. If someone lies, can they find out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 PM

282 posts, read 444,393 times
Someone who is applying for U.S. citizenship has already had a green card for at least three years, and in most instances five years. Minimum. And likely had another status before that. So they've been through the clearance process a few times.

At the green card stage, there are FBI and CIA checks run, and the person must obtain police clearances from pretty much every place they've lived as adults. Rinse and repeat for the citizenship process.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
Someone who is applying for U.S. citizenship has already had a green card for at least three years, and in most instances five years. Minimum. And likely had another status before that. So they've been through the clearance process a few times.

At the green card stage, there are FBI and CIA checks run, and the person must obtain police clearances from pretty much every place they've lived as adults. Rinse and repeat for the citizenship process.
In terms of crimes that were committed but never recorded through a charge or arrest, how serious would they have to be for USCIS to consider revoking someone's citizenship if found out at a later date?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:33 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croftylot24 View Post
In terms of crimes that were committed but never recorded through a charge or arrest, how serious would they have to be for USCIS to consider revoking someone's citizenship if found out at a later date?
Are you concerned for yourself or are you trying to trip someone?

Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Are you concerned for yourself or are you trying to trip someone?
No, I'm just wondering...

I always imagined a scenario if Bill Cosby was born in England and moved to the US to start his acting career then started molesting women before being naturalised as an American citizen. If these allegations were to come to light now, would his citizenship be gone?

What about if he molested the women years after he was naturalised? Can citizens be denaturalised if they didn't obtain citizenship by fraud?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:30 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:

I always imagined a scenario if Bill Cosby was born in England and moved to the US to start his acting career then started molesting women before being naturalised as an American citizen. If these allegations were to come to light now, would his citizenship be gone?

What about if he molested the women years after he was naturalised? Can citizens be denaturalised if they didn't obtain citizenship by fraud?
That is up to the judge.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 605,772 times
Quote:

Unlikely

Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
If Bill Cosby was in the US on a green card he'd think twice before molesting anyone if he wanted to become a citizen. I know this sounds like a tasteless joke but it was your example. We always knew we wanted to be on the path to citizenship, so we make sure to be on top behavior for 5 years minimum. Most people are the same as no one wants any unnecessary problems with USCIS.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:57 AM

282 posts, read 444,393 times
Quote:
The key is if they didn't disclose the crime at the time they applied for citizenship. If it was something that could have prevented them from getting citizenship, it is possible for the government to pursue de-naturalization. So what kind of crime would that be? Let's just say the law is still evolving on that point.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:29 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Most countries have the same 'innocent until proven guilty' process as we do. If you were never arrested or charged for your crime, USCIS doesn't have any way to know about it. They don't send investigators to ask the local gossips if there's any juice on you. If it's not on the national police system records, it didn't happen as far as they're concerned. If you were arrested, charged and found not guilty at trial, it will probably be noted by USCIS and they will ask you about it at interview. If you didn't disclose it on the application, they will count it against you even though you were found not guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration