Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

Just noticed when trying to do taxes that the social security office gave my child 2 last names, his middle and last name, after the return kept getting rejected. Went to try to fix it and took a birth certificate and the social security card itself and a form they required to fill out online.

I was then was asked for 2 forms of ID, in which I showed the birth certificate and the actual social security card in which they admitted they messed up the name, but refuse to take it as ID since its invalid. At this point, I tried to point out it, he is 1, so he will not have a bunch of ID's, we use his birth certificate and SS card as ID and you all messed up the card and have admitted to it, but they would not budge and demanded another form of ID. I come back a few days later with the child's Health Insurance card since they said that count count as ID and they rejected that too, stating it has to show his date of birth, even though no health insurance card ever has shown a date of birth on it.

They already know they messed his name up and refuse to give a new card unless I can give 2 forms of ID, in which one is what they messed up and I dont have any other forms.

Has anyone experienced this before and know a way to actually get this fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Just noticed when trying to do taxes that the social security office gave my child 2 last names, his middle and last name, after the return kept getting rejected. Went to try to fix it and took a birth certificate and the social security card itself and a form they required to fill out online.

I was then was asked for 2 forms of ID, in which I showed the birth certificate and the actual social security card in which they admitted they messed up the name, but refuse to take it as ID since its invalid. At this point, I tried to point out it, he is 1, so he will not have a bunch of ID's, we use his birth certificate and SS card as ID and you all messed up the card and have admitted to it, but they would not budge and demanded another form of ID. I come back a few days later with the child's Health Insurance card since they said that count count as ID and they rejected that too, stating it has to show his date of birth, even though no health insurance card ever has shown a date of birth on it.

They already know they messed his name up and refuse to give a new card unless I can give 2 forms of ID, in which one is what they messed up and I dont have any other forms.

Has anyone experienced this before and know a way to actually get this fixed?
You could apply for a passport for the child. That would provide a second form of id. This would work but it seems to be an unnecessary expense.

I might try going to a different social security office and see if the people are more understanding. I live in San Francisco but did not even bother going to that crowded city office when my child needed a replacement card. I went to a small town office about 50 miles outside of the city. It was an entirely different energy with helpful happy people. I actually got out in only 10 minutes and was able to enjoy the rest of the day.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
You could apply for a passport for the child. That would provide a second form of id. This would work but it seems to be an unnecessary expense.

I might try going to a different social security office and see if the people are more understanding. I live in San Francisco but did not even bother going to that crowded city office when my child needed a replacement card. I went to a small town office about 50 miles outside of the city. It was an entirely different energy with helpful happy people. I actually got out in only 10 minutes and was able to enjoy the rest of the day.
I guess the problem with applying for passport is that they would want the social security card and if his last name is listed in the system as his middle and last name, they would probably reject it too. They created this mess and and making a bigger mess trying to fix what they created.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:54 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,693 times
Contact your congressman to seek help to fix this mess up. Find their local office then ask to speak with him/her face to face. You should get action then...........

Old 05-01-2018, 11:39 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Possibly the documentation from the birth which generated his insurance card. It should have not just the date of birth but time of birth, along with the chain of custody for mom/baby ID bands that the nursery used when they discharged both mom & baby.

I think that’s what I had to use for my 3rd son. Both my first & my third have two middle names. It wasn’t a problem with the first but they got it all screwed up with the third.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I wonder if you could just start fresh an apply as if he had never had one?

Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder if you could just start fresh an apply as if he had never had one?
That would probably be considered fraud as the child would then have two different social security numbers.

I do not know if it would work but sometimes church records, such as baptismal records, would count as "official documents" verifying someone's name and age. I agree that most infants have very few "documents" with their official name, perhaps try medical records from the hospital or doctor.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:04 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Contact your congressman to seek help to fix this mess up. Find their local office then ask to speak with him/her face to face. You should get action then...........
I think this is a good idea, this is pretty much the definition of a constituent services problem.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:35 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That would probably be considered fraud as the child would then have two different social security numbers.

I do not know if it would work but sometimes church records, such as baptismal records, would count as "official documents" verifying someone's name and age. I agree that most infants have very few "documents" with their official name, perhaps try medical records from the hospital or doctor.

Good luck.
You hear so much about illegals using fraudulent ss#, that you would think they wouldnt make it so hard for a person trying to correct their mistake.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Sooooooooooooooo, after spending close to $300 to go to a new doctor and do a checkup, since his original doctors that office was taken over cant find his records, the SSN office reject this form from the doctor as well stating it has a electronic signature and doesnt have his height and weight on it after we went through the checklist of what they wanted with the doctor.

At this point this has costs hundred of dollars and a 1-2 hr wait each visit back when they reject the SSN card, the health insurance card, the form from my job showing he is covered and a form from the Doctors office they requested.

This is beyond a nightmare at this point as why I hate dealing with government ANYTHING. Their office is slow and depressing and the workers have zero common sense. And all this is to fix a mistake in which they admit out of their own mouth it is their fault, but putting us through all this mess to fix this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration