Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,767 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Arial]Greetings[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I could not find a forum for visa through marriage so I am posting here since it seems to be closest, but please do let me know if I need to move this thread to some other forum. A friend of mine wanted me to post this question for her. She is here in the States through her husband. Even though they are newly wed, she is being mistreated, but she is afraid of losing her chance to stay if she says anything. Her husband did all of her immigration application, and she thinks he may topido her chance of getting her Citizenship. Her permanent residency was just approved. She wants to know if her fear is valid; can she at least try to discuss the marriage situation with her husband without fear of him destroying her chance? What if he was not willing to work towards improving the situation? Is she going to be deported? What if the husband applies for divorce? Does this mean she will have to go back? What if he applies for divorce and contacts immigration with negative comments about her? I know I am asking a number of questions here, if you wouldn’t mind addressing which ever you can. If you address all it would be great. I greatly appreciate your comments.[/FONT]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Adjustments of. Status on uscis.com

Old 05-29-2018, 06:13 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
Check out this forum
Forums - VisaJourney

Old 05-31-2018, 10:26 AM

297 posts, read 166,876 times
If this marriage was genuine, for love, and not for green card, then there are ways to for the abused spouse to keep the green card.
Your friend needs to be able to prove the abusive behavior has taken place. USCIS takes these cases very seriously and they will investigate quite heavily.

That being said... the best advice you can give your friend is this: Don't Lie!

Immigration officers can smell your fear, discomfort, lies, and deceit by just reading your application. 99% of the time the decision is made after the application has been reviewed. Whatever meeting they want to have, interview, whatnot, is just to confirm their decision. Nothing else.

If your friend married only for the green card then now is looking for a quick way out, I say good luck.
Not saying this is the case... just want to warn you. Whatever sad story your friend has, immigration has heard it all before.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
You don't mention where your friend is originally from. This can also have some bearing on how her case is reviewed. For people who have been dealing with immigration issues for a long time it is pretty common knowledge that some American men (who an American woman would consider an abuser) will look for wives from certain countries because they believe they are easier to control, manipulate and abuse. Sadly, women from these same countries are not looking for love but to better their own economic circumstances, and often end up being abused. I would look for a local support group from her own ethnic background who might be able to get help for her through Legal Aid.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
The permanent residency waa approved. There is nothing a husband or ex husband can do except turn himself or the wife in for false documents when they went for the 10 years card.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:10 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The permanent residency waa approved. There is nothing a husband or ex husband can do except turn himself or the wife in for false documents when they went for the 10 years card.
OP did not specify if removal of conditions has been applied for or not. "Newlywed" does not sound like it.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:15 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
There is a lot of scrutiny for green cards through marriage as there are so many scams.

Many lawyers will not take the case if they smell there is a scam going on.

But, of course like any real marriage a marriage that includes, immigration can have marital issues that are real and will be taken serious. Not everyone is a scammer.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:05 AM

90 posts, read 55,615 times
As previously posted, I strongly recommend VisaJourney. I went through the green card process for my husband here. I lived on this forum as they are truly the only real support anyone can get going through this process. My husband and I lived in his country for years and were married 7 years before applying to come back and it was pure hell. Anything that she has in the area of rights is always subjective and she does need to be aware of this going in. No matter what the rule are and what is written, any of the Immigration Officers can use their own judgement without and explanation and they are not known to be the most understanding. You can find one but toss the dice. we had a literally open and shut case and were put through the ringer.

The country and even the story matter. They will judge everything. I feel for your friend and would tell her to just go to her country site on VisaJourney. You will rarely hear support outside of people from this site whom can truly understand her situation. Best wishes extended to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration