Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2021, 08:32 PM

14 posts, read 17,832 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I want to move from Canada to U.S. I also want to compete in boxing. Curios to know if it would be an easier process to get a green card if I were to compete in a sporting event. My goal is Vegas and would love to live there. I am in a province that is extremely unfriendly and cold. My original trainer left the town. So now I just do hot yoga 3 to 4 hours a day as a way of cardio and meditation. I currently live with parents and help them with business and they help me.

Its a bit of a strange situation at the moment. I ONLY have 1 friend in Canada and he is American from Washington. He mentioned that he too is home sick and wants to go back to U.S.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble. Curios to know if its easier to get a green card or a working visa if I were to compete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 10:25 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I think the big question is whether you are actually considered to be a boxer now, or if it is your dream to be a boxer? Why don't you relocate to a city in Canada that has a boxing culture? Wanting to be a boxer is not going to get you into the US any faster than anyone else who wants to be something in the US.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:55 PM

14 posts, read 17,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think the big question is whether you are actually considered to be a boxer now, or if it is your dream to be a boxer? Why don't you relocate to a city in Canada that has a boxing culture? Wanting to be a boxer is not going to get you into the US any faster than anyone else who wants to be something in the US.

I have trained in boxing for many years. Aside from that, I have done Tang Soo Do/Taekwondo. I am not a pro boxer or a career boxer. My confidence comes from sparring BUT I also understand that sparring does not = success due to the pressure of the crowd and etc...

That being said, my main goal is to become an American. Americans have solid boxing culture + more friendly people + more opportunity and less absurd taxes. I do not enjoy living in Canada. The only I do right now is take 2 or 3 yoga classes a day and meditate as much as I can.

Old 11-24-2021, 05:37 PM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Uscis.gov is the official site and it goes in details from soup to nuts for every visa available. If you have CAN citizenship it is not thaaaat difficult but what do you bring to the table for an employer?

Old 11-25-2021, 03:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Threestep2 brings up a good point in asking what would you bring to the table for an American employer? That means what education, skills and work experiences do you have that are in demand in USA.

If you want to apply to immigrate and become a citizen of ANY country, including USA, you MUST be able to prove that you have the education, skills training and work experience that are in demand in that country.

Having an interest and training in boxing, yoga and meditation don't qualify as required education or work skills and experience in any country in the world, and those interests aren't in demand in any country, they are considered only recreational personal interests and hobbies.

So if your main objective is to immigrate and become an American citizen then you need to forget about using your boxing interests as a potential doorway into the States. It doesn't qualify. You need to make your application based on your education, occupational skills and work experience that you presently have or are presently receiving an education in that you will graduate with a degree in.

This website has a list of the skilled occupations that are presently in demand in USA for potential immigrants: https://www.migration.pk/guides/immi...n-list-for-usa ..... look it over thoroughly and see which of them you have the education, skills and work experience you possess that an American employer/sponsor would have a demand for. That's just to get you started in understanding what you need before you can consider submitting an application.

Last edited by Zoisite; 11-25-2021 at 03:51 PM..

Old 11-26-2021, 04:43 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
P1 would be the visa the OP is looking for. Or an O visa.

Old 11-27-2021, 04:56 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
You need a sponsor in the US. Based on what you posted, you cannot self-petition.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:35 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
P1 would be the visa the OP is looking for. Or an O visa.
In his 30s, helping with the family business and working out with hot yoga? Great candidate for O or P1!

Old 05-17-2022, 10:06 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
Heard couple stories from people who were denied green cards from O/P visa types within last two years. Not extraordinary enough. In other words there are many professional sportsmen, artists and so on, and only those who have high level recognition are being granted green cards. Wondering if it got more difficult recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration