Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:39 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times

Advertisements

What a great day 2/24/2020 and moving forward for American citizens, not to have the burden for legal immigrants who can’t provide for themselves.

I don’t know of any foreign country that will allow legal aliens to be a charge to the government benefits.

You come here, you have money and live of your money and/or work!

Supreme Court ruled so lefties can’t undo this now.

Maybe this will not relief some of the backlogs....I can already imagine the files going to the back up facilities until someone can re-apply when they make more money.

Some green card holders who never applied for citizenship and I know some, who are dependent on the government, may now have wished they did apply for citizenship, but were getting money from abroad from governments, while living here and not willing to work. They may now need to be able to show they can provide for themselves over here to keep their green card.

This counts also for E2 visa’s and many other visa applications. Thanks President Trump to use common sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 06:07 AM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Look at Europe and what is being referred to as economical refugees

Old 02-24-2020, 03:38 PM

The freebies over there are insane for illegals. The tax payers paid through to their eyeballs

Old 02-27-2020, 07:54 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,560,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What a great day 2/24/2020 and moving forward for American citizens, not to have the burden for legal immigrants who can’t provide for themselves.

I don’t know of any foreign country that will allow legal aliens to be a charge to the government benefits.

You come here, you have money and live of your money and/or work!

Supreme Court ruled so lefties can’t undo this now.

Maybe this will not relief some of the backlogs....I can already imagine the files going to the back up facilities until someone can re-apply when they make more money.

Some green card holders who never applied for citizenship and I know some, who are dependent on the government, may now have wished they did apply for citizenship, but were getting money from abroad from governments, while living here and not willing to work. They may now need to be able to show they can provide for themselves over here to keep their green card.

This counts also for E2 visa’s and many other visa applications. Thanks President Trump to use common sense!
As a green card holder myself, I feel inclined to inform you that it has long been the case that GC holders can not claim government benefits. It seems to be that this rule is now being enforced whereas previously it was allowed to slide.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:05 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,280,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
As a green card holder myself, I feel inclined to inform you that it has long been the case that GC holders can not claim government benefits. It seems to be that this rule is now being enforced whereas previously it was allowed to slide.
Yeah, true dat.

I actually qualified for Social Security (in credits paid) before I could think about filing a claim (by naturalization). Not that I needed to, but I have to admit it p'sed me off seriously.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:34 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Does the new rules apply to a Green Card holder who has worked 40 quarters and is otherwise now eligible for Medicare?

Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Does the new rules apply to a Green Card holder who has worked 40 quarters and is otherwise now eligible for Medicare?
No as you earned that!

It is for anyone here on a green card or visa who applies for welfare, etc.

Not for programs you earned through working and paying taxes and become eligible for.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:02 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
No as you earned that!

It is for anyone here on a green card or visa who applies for welfare, etc.

Not for programs you earned through working and paying taxes and become eligible for.
All right. I agree with you, but I want to find an official link saying so. I couldn't find one yesterday.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:14 AM

24,613 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
All right. I agree with you, but I want to find an official link saying so. I couldn't find one yesterday.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/

Old 02-28-2020, 09:16 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,560,751 times
Quote:
Any particular reason to not apply for citizenship? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration