Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 07:25 AM

928 posts, read 499,632 times

Advertisements

I have an idea that I can't stop thinking about. Was going to delay this 5 years, but I can't imagine staying in my current situation another 5 years. I'm in the midwest (not from here), have a good job (worst boss ever), no local friends, and a relationship I'm considering ending.

I've had this plan in the back of my mind to move to a Latin American country for the past 2 years. The plan was to do it in my late 50's, but I'm starting to think I should do it while I'm still relatively young. I need to know how to become an Expat and make an ok living without going through savings, as I don't have enough to retire. Although I have enough money to easily live there for 2 years with my home equity alone.

Medellin is my #1 choice. I know the first step is to visit, but from what I've read its amazing. I need to live my life, which has basically been on hold since my ex-wife left 12 years ago. I can't keep going like this. Every day is Groundhog day. Who has done this? Who is also considering something like this? Horror stories? Success stories? I need as much info as I can get. I will likely plan a trip this year. Were it not for Covid, I'd go now.

My options are go live there for a year and take a sabbatical, then come back to America to my actual home city (Atlanta) and look for a job Edited. Or maybe I get lucky and get to stay and/or split time somehow. Right now its more than just a passing idea, but I have no real plan yet. I just love the culture, the women, and learning Spanish is on my bucket list. I grew up with Spanish people and enjoy them so much. Would love any and all feedback!

Last edited by Rance; 02-25-2021 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Politics has it's own forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 AM

928 posts, read 499,632 times
Nothing? Really?

Old 02-24-2021, 06:02 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
OK, I'll bite.
First of all are you thinking of Medellin Columbia?? not my idea of a garden spot, but to each their own.

As a US citizen, you can go wherever you want and return whenever you want. The concerns have more to do with where you actually want to go and what that country's requirements are for Americans to visit/live/work there temporarily.

I have never left the US to live in a foreign country as an adult, although I grew up in the former Canal Zone, Panama, which at the time was a US territory. My father was a tugboat captain.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:50 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
As a US citizen, you can go wherever you want and return whenever you want.
This is...not correct.

Some fairly prominent countries require visas for U.S. citizens. Brazil, China, India, Russia, Turkey, Vietnam...

Old 03-04-2021, 06:05 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Even our friendly northerly neighbor Canada may not want you or let you enter. A DWI is a criminal offense there and requires special adjudication.

"Any resident or citizen of the United States that has a DWI conviction on their criminal record may be deemed criminally inadmissible to cross the border into Canada unless he or she has been issued special governmental permission."

https://www.canadaduientrylaw.com/dw...l%20permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration