Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM

60 posts, read 112,351 times

Advertisements

lol dont hate that was pretty obvios to state huh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:43 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,488,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Camargo View Post
lol dont hate that was pretty obvios to state huh
Citizens of Mexico who are in the US illegally need to be returned to Mexico. That is even more obvious to state. No, our economy will not collapse without Mexican illegal aliens. If we need people to pick crops or whatever, what is to prevent us from bringing in willing workers on work visas (in a very closely monitored program) from China, Namibia, Jordan or Romania? Do you think Mexicans are the only people on this earth who can perform unskilled manual labor? Someone from Indonesia can do the job every bit as well. And won't be marching in our streets and burning our flag to boot. There is nothing special about Mexican illegal aliens.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,599,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Of course, with a suped up guest-worker program, it would be regulated. They come in seasons, and they leave. And really.. the people who are being laid off is obviously effects of the economy, not necessarily illegal immigration.
We already have a guest worker program…….and they DON'T leave. Furthermore, they make sure they give birth to an anchor while here. Illegal immigration is indeed a factor in people being laid-off. Greedy corporations would prefer to hire 'slave' labor rather than pay a legal citizen a decent wage. Therefore, you cannot omit illegal aliens from the unemployment equation.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,161,407 times
I agree with andrea, our economy will NOT collapse. Speculation such as this was seen back when slavery was declared illegal. We turned out fine. Then again, there are much more people than there were back then.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:48 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,161,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We already have a guest worker program…….and they DON'T leave. Furthermore, they make sure they give birth to an anchor while here. Illegal immigration is indeed a factor in people being laid-off. Greedy corporations would prefer to hire 'slave' labor rather than pay a legal citizen a decent wage. Therefore, you cannot omit illegal aliens from the unemployment equation.
Which is the exact reason why I said "suped". The one we have right now isn't really effective in terms of sponsorships and regulation.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I agree with andrea, our economy will NOT collapse. Speculation such as this was seen back when slavery was declared illegal. We turned out fine. Then again, there are much more people than there were back then.
The numbers are irrelevant. We survived without slaves, and we will survive without illegal aliens.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Which is the exact reason why I said "suped". The one we have right now isn't really effective in terms of sponsorships and regulation.
How would this "suped" program differ from our current program; and who would enforce it? Would the offspring of these workers born on U.S. soil be classified as citizens?

Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 AM

So you do not believe America would shut down? Lets have a hypothetical scenario. If all illegals were booted then who do you think will do all the jobs no one else wants to do.... america is built on the backs of mexicans just as in the days of slavery

Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 AM

If a child is born here they are citizens. Which in turn makes a anchor to stay.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,488,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
A well run (key words) work visa program can benefit a society. As long as both parties adhere to the rules agreed to. I have been employed overseas on a work visa. I worked in a country that had a shortage of workers in my specific field which benefitted that country and I was able to save alot more money than I would have been in the US. It was a win-win situation.
If we want to have a successful guest worker program that actually benefits the US, we will have to do these things (IMO):

1. The worker is here for a specific period of time and at the end of that time period, you leave. This is a business contract. You are here to do a job and when the job is done, you go home. After the electrician finishes rewiring my house, I do not expect to him and his family to move in. Nor should you expect to live here once your job or term of employment is complete.
2. You do not bring your family with you. We are hiring you, not your wife and kids. If they come along, any financial benefit we get from hiring you is negated by having to educate your kids, your wife getting pregnant with an anchor baby and so forth.
3. Men only. See above. The risk of anchor babies is and the endless costs that go with them is simply too great.

The fact that you have worked in the US does not entitle you to citizenship. A Merrill Lynch banker who has been working in London for 6 years would not expect the British government to grant him citizenship simply because he has been working there for 'a long time'. Neither should you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration