Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
You will be forced to pay out-of-state tuition. Depends on the college, but it's about 15 000 Dollars PER Semester.

The minimum requirement for the work visa ( HB1 ) is a Bachelor's degree. Computer science is a very good field. They need people like crazy.
That is completely inaccurate. There are tens of thousands of US citizens with advanced computing degrees out of work right now. H1B visas are being drastically reduced for the I/T field as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Just a few misconceptions to clear up.

Getting a degree in the US doesn't guarantee a visa. Usually you ahve 30 days after graduation to leave.

Getting a degree anywhere doesn't guarantee a visa.

The number of H1B visas is being cut way back due to the high number of laid off technology people who are citizens.

Most employers will no long sponsor for a Green Card, only a visa, because the employer sponsored green card is based on an offer of permanant employment, and no employer wants to make this type of committment.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:17 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Getting a degree in the US doesn't guarantee a visa. Usually you ahve 30 days after graduation to leave.

The number of H1B visas is being cut way back due to the high number of laid off technology people who are citizens.

Most employers will no long sponsor for a Green Card, only a visa, because the employer sponsored green card is based on an offer of permanant employment, and no employer wants to make this type of committment.

I don't think anyone said that there was any guarantee of a visa for anyone.
Believe me I know,having been trying to get one for 4 years.However there are certain things that make it more likely.
And to say that most employers will no longer sponsor for a Green card doesn't mean that none will. If that was the case there wouldn't be retrogression in place for EB3.Most of the EB3 GCs are taken by those already in the US on H-1B who are then being sponsored for GC and applying for adjustment of status.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,301,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Most employers will no long sponsor for a Green Card, only a visa, because the employer sponsored green card is based on an offer of permanent employment, and no employer wants to make this type of commitment.
I'm going to clear up some of the clearing that annerk made...

1) Yes, getting a degree in the US doesn't guarantee an H1B visa. After finishing your studies you can apply for an OPT (optional practice training) and obtain an EAD (employment authorization document) up to for 1 year so you can look for a job if you don't have one already by the time of your graduation.
2) The number of H1B visas given by the government is the same right now than it was last year, maybe annerk is trying to say that employers are hiring fewer foreigners now due to the economy, but who knows by the time you graduate we could be in the middle of a boom... or not.
3) Annerk is right in that most employers don't sponsor for a green card right away, if they want to hire you they will do the paperwork for an H1B, once you have proved your worth and the employee asks for it, the employer will decide on going ahead and sponsor the employee or not. Have in mind that the process to obtain an H1B takes months while to obtain a permanent residency status takes several years and is much more costly for the employer, hence the reduced number of applications for green card done this way.

Also in your particular case,

4) Depending on how good you are in undergrad I would encourage you to apply to top CS programs who have more funding available for the students admitted. When I was in grad school there were a lot of foreign students with tuition waivers and stipend working for the deparment as teaching and research assistants. Obviously you have to be a good student for this.
5) I'm involved a little bit in the recruiting that the trading firm I work for is doing and I can tell you that top CS students are in high demand regardless of their nationality. Especially if you not only have a CS background but also some Finance and/or Math background you can not only work for technology firms but also in the financial industry.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:03 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom View Post
I'm going to clear up some of the clearing that annerk made...

1) Yes, getting a degree in the US doesn't guarantee an H1B visa. After finishing your studies you can apply for an OPT (optional practice training) and obtain an EAD (employment authorization document) up to for 1 year so you can look for a job if you don't have one already by the time of your graduation.
2) The number of H1B visas given by the government is the same right now than it was last year, maybe annerk is trying to say that employers are hiring fewer foreigners now due to the economy, but who knows by the time you graduate we could be in the middle of a boom... or not.
3) Annerk is right in that most employers don't sponsor for a green card right away, if they want to hire you they will do the paperwork for an H1B, once you have proved your worth and the employee asks for it, the employer will decide on going ahead and sponsor the employee or not. Have in mind that the process to obtain an H1B takes months while to obtain a permanent residency status takes several years and is much more costly for the employer, hence the reduced number of applications for green card done this way.

Also in your particular case,

4) Depending on how good you are in undergrad I would encourage you to apply to top CS programs who have more funding available for the students admitted. When I was in grad school there were a lot of foreign students with tuition waivers and stipend working for the deparment as teaching and research assistants. Obviously you have to be a good student for this.
5) I'm involved a little bit in the recruiting that the trading firm I work for is doing and I can tell you that top CS students are in high demand regardless of their nationality. Especially if you not only have a CS background but also some Finance and/or Math background you can not only work for technology firms but also in the financial industry.

Hope this helps.
Actually,H-1B can be processed in weeks.Premium processing (paid by the employer along with the other attorney fees) gives you an answer to the petition in 10 days.
Then it's amatter of how quickly you can get an embassy appointment and get the visa in your passport if they approve it

For a green card the job has to go through labor certification (unless it's a Schedule A shortage occupation like nursing) which can take 6 months.You also have to have a medical but the employer doesn't have to pay your attorney fees.If someone qualifies for an H-1B they are likely to have a Masters degree,so once labor certification is done there is no backlog for the Masters degree category for Green card.It is a completely different story if you only have a Bachelors degree as the E-B3 is backlogged by 4-6 years depending on where you come from and most go to people applying for tyransfer from H-1B to GC,rather than people coming to the US for the first time.

So,H-1B is good to start on if you have a Masters or a Bachelors and the job requires one.If your emloyer will then sponsor for Green Card then that will take about 9 months if you have a Masters,but 4-6 years if you have a Bachelors.In the meantime they will usually extend H1-B but you are tied to that employer-OK if you like your job!

The main difference between H-1B and green card is that with H-1B you can only work for that employer, but with green card you can work for anyone/do anything even though initially a specific employer has to petition you.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim131 View Post
Thanks for the help guys!

Ok 15grand per semester is WAY too expensive! lol

I think I'm just going to emigrate when I complete my Bsc, or if I decide to do a Msc in Europe, I'll emigrate after that.

But what I'm wondering is, someone said computer science is a good degree to have and they need people like crazy in the states. So would it be hard to get a job, without actually living in the states, like needing sponsorship, would businesses be reluctant to offer to sponsor?

Thanks for the help all
Do you have a sister or brother? They could file for you. Otherwise, it can be tough.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
The information you're getting about H1-B's is top-notch, but there's some anecdotal stuff you should be aware of.

In the 2008 time-frame, large businesses in the SoCal area were happily hiring H1-b workers due to the low overhead of these workers. Though the program supposedly has protections for workers, you'll find these are not enforced and are mainly of the self-report variety. An H1-b worker has little recourse against a company if he/she is not being paid a fair wage as the company can fire and thus have you removed from the country without cause.

So, there are a number of firms which are hiring tech workers--usually asians, as they're the only ones who will put up with the long hours at low wages--on H1-b's and then stalling their paperwork or leaving it unfiled purposfully. While theoretically a MS degree and company-sponsor should be a "quick" path to a green card and the ability to gainfully employ yourself in the US, the reality is that many tech workers find themselves in a sort of "indentured servitude" to the company which holds their paperwork. I personally know of one such person--with an MS--who was hired in 2002 and now in 2009 they are still in temporary worker status, unable to move forward with a Permanent Residency (and eventual citizenship) because of being stonewalled by their company.

Just a little IMO; the H1-b visa program is asinine. We should award automatic green cards to anyone who completes a 4-year scientific degree with a 3.0 or better from an accredited technical university. Why in the world we are educating forigners and then sending them overseas to compete with us at lower rates is beyond me.

Well, no it's not. It's because big business has John-Q-Public convinced that "dem durn ferigners iz takin amerikun jobz" so they happily outsource the high-wage high-skill labor overseas to people who with an equivilant education to an American worker, while inside the US they find themselves some H1-b slaves to handle the small amount of technical work that still needs to be done inside the US. So the reason is not "beyond me", I just think it's a stupid reason and a situation which is hurting our country and our countrymen.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 AM

529 posts, read 1,301,441 times
One more thing though, I have been witness that it is possible to transfer your H1B visa from one employer to another, my firm has "poached" a few smart guys that were working on other trading firms under an H1B, the transfer was done within a month.
My guess is that it's not very common mostly due to fear from the employees to get kicked out of the country during the transfer process but I have seen it done three times already, so if you are involved with a terrible employer you can always switch companies provided you find another one willing to do the paperwork.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 AM

52 posts, read 279,566 times
Hi Tim,

Don't know if this helps or not but will pass the info. along in hopes that it does.

We have a good friend who has a Bachelors in Aerospace out of England who graduated w/honors. He has worked w/Rolls Royce for several yrs.(5+)

He's dynamic, hard working and ambitious. He'd love to live/work in the U.S..

He posted his resume online and rec'd several responses immediately. He interviewed w/several large aerospace companies and U.S. Airways more than once.

The interviews went great and several companies worked hard to hire him. One company has been trying to fill their slot for almost 2 yrs. now w/U.S. workers. No luck. No one has even answered their ad.

Unfortunately, the HB 1 Visa has become harder to obtain not just for the employee but the employer because of the unemployment rate(understandably so) and government regulations here.

The feedback he's getting is there's a shortage of aerospace engineers w/his experience and yet, the government has tied the hands of most companies wanting to hire HB 1's even though they try to fill the slots w/U.S. workers and none or few are to be had. That's a travesty in my mind. We need people/great minds like this.

He's now decided to attend ASU and get his MBA. He recently applied and yes, he'll be paying out of pocket approx. $25K. He's paying his own way, no handouts.

He said it's worth it and if he has to go back to the UK after he's finished(he'd never break the law and overstay his visa) he said getting an MBA in the U.S. looks good on his resume. Rolls has already said they'll take him back @ anytime. Hate losing him.

So start now if you're serious about getting here and remember what other's have said. It's not that easy any more. Even in fields where we need, have a shortage of workers.

I for one have a real appreciation for being born and raised in the U.S. and our friend has renewed that appreciation even more-so.

Good luck Tim and I hope it works out for you.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:11 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
HIB only allows you to work in that specific job and the employer has to pay all legal expenses.
The rest of the family would recieve H4 visas. That means you have to pay for their legal expenses, none of them can work, just study, and they can't have a social security number. So, if your spouse or kids are studying, they can't apply for loans, recieve scholarships or financial aid at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
If you have a Masters degree then you would qulaify for EB2 Green card
Can you please explain this again? You say that it's possible to directly apply for a green card with a masters d.? If so, do you have extended info? I've never heard of that and I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
You will be forced to pay out-of-state tuition. Depends on the college, but it's about 15 000 Dollars PER Semester.
Or you can wait a year to become resident of the state and pay "in-state" tuition. Again, depending on the college.

Last edited by DFWgal; 05-05-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration