Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about this and noticed that some people are stating that brothers and sister can come overhere when a US citizen applies for a GC for them but it can take 11 years or longer. Is this true?
I read that parents can come here faster.

Has any one applied for familie members and maybe willing to share their experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have been reading about this and noticed that some people are stating that brothers and sister can come overhere when a US citizen applies for a GC for them but it can take 11 years or longer. Is this true?
I read that parents can come here faster.

Has any one applied for familie members and maybe willing to share their experience?
A USC can sponsor direct family for an immigrant visa which leads to a GC. That means father and mother and siblings. As far as the time frame, I have no clue.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
The parents of a US citizen are in the unlimited visa category, which means a visa will be available for them immediately upon approval of the petition. With brothers or sisters, they are 4th preference, and the waiting period for a visa will depend on which country they come from. So for example if you have a sister from the Philipines, the current waiting period is 23 years, but if she is from India, it is 11 years :
Visa Bulletin for July 2009 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4512.html - broken link)

Last edited by Penguin_ie; 07-03-2009 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-03-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
The parents of a US citizen are in the unlimited visa category, which means a visa will be available for them immediately upon approval of the petition. With brothers or sisters, they are 4th preference, and the waiting period for a visa will depend on which country they come from. So for example if you have a sister from the Philipines, the current waiting period is 23 years, but if she is from India, it is 11 years :
Visa Bulletin for July 2009 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4512.html - broken link)
The girl is from Europe, does that chance the time frame and how can I read about the time frame, do you know if anything is posted about the waiting periods?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:00 PM

If you look at my previous reply, there is a link to the official government website that explains what type of people have to wait for how long. The first table in the link is for family based visas; if you are not from China, India, Mexico or the Philipines, (such as the girl you say is from Europe), they are currently working on applications from 22nd October 98, so the waiting period is 10.5 years. Of course, that could be less or more by the time this girl's visa app rolls around.

How old is the sister and is she maried? I am asking because if the parents want to come as well, it might be quicker to do it that way. Parents can come immediately, then apply for their daughter, which the waiting period is currently 5 years if she is under 21, 8 years if she is over 21 and unmarried, or almost 9 years if over 21 and married.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
Quote:
The girl is from Europe, does that chance the time frame and how can I read about the time frame, do you know if anything is posted about the waiting periods?
It probably depends on what European country she's from. Western and Eastern are treated differently from what I have been told.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
It probably depends on what European country she's from. Western and Eastern are treated differently from what I have been told.
Which one has more chances to get it faster. Western or Easter?

Thanks for all the responses

Old 07-06-2009, 01:54 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:

Did you open the link? Let me know if it does not make sense.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:06 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times
Quote:

Western, from what I've been told.
My step-mother who is Russian knows people who've moved, and who have tried to move, to the US from both Western and Eastern European countries, and according to her, it has been easier for people from Western to move to the US. My guess would be that it is due to the fact that Western European countries have more in common with the US, and that they are in general richer than Eastern, thus fewer move from W. E. to the US, and more from E. E to the US. The quota-system works in favour of those from countries where fewer people move to the US, and against those from countries where many move (or try to move) to the US.
These days, Eastern Europeans are more inclined to move to the US than Westerners, thus their quotas are smaller and migration takes longer. Probably not as long as for Indians/Chinese etc. but probably longer than for Western Europeans.

(Then, we're still in process, hubby and I, so I can't say anything for sure about Westerners. But I wish your friend all luck)

Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Eduardo, that is NOT legal!
Entering the USA on a tourist visa or the VWP with the intent of immigrating is illegal, and can lead to a lifetime ban. Please don't jeopardize your future by doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration