Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:22 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, it seems unfair to penalise those who are doing it the right way and following the law, especially if they are strapped for cash as it is. On the other hand, it might weed out those who are not entirely dedicated.
Moving between countries is a major undertaking and takes plenty of dedication no matter what - the fees are just the icing on the cake. Getting a toehold in a new country is a cash-intensive undertaking - you want immigrants to have money for rent, food and transportation out of the gate.

That being said, most immigrants would probably pay double if the system improved in matters of feedback and waiting times.

Oh, and most illegals do not have the choice of arriving legally, fees or no fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That being said, most immigrants would probably pay double if the system improved in matters of feedback and waiting times.

Oh, and most illegals do not have the choice of arriving legally, fees or no fees.
QFT Again!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:22 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I came here last year on a spousal visa. It wasn't cheap- some 800 dollars for filing fees alone-, and there are many associated costs (medical, translation for official documents, travel to embassy for interview etc). But moving anywhere isn't cheap, and the immigrant should definitely cover the expenses of the US government in processing the visas and doing the necessary security checks. Considering getting a spousal or fiance visa can take a year or more, I think a lot of people would be willing to pay extra for expedited service too (it's already available for work visas!).
Mmmm-yes premium processing is available for work visas at $1000 on top of the standard costs-which I don't know as the employer has to pay them.
Difference between spousal/fiancee visa and work visa is that they are harder to get! Only jobs requiring a Bachelors degree or higher qualify.

I passed the US nursing exam in April 2007 after paying out around $1000 for visa screen, credential evaluation etc etc.
I was offered a job whilst waiting for the results of the nursing exam (on condition I passed of course).Then paid $2000 to attorney for filing of petition for GC EB3(nurses mostly don't qualify for work visas)

Then retrogression kicked in and the wait time for EB3 for UK citizens is about 7 years.

In the meantime DH got his Masters, applied for a job and got it. Got H1b work visa in April this year.
Company are filing for GC EB2 (Masters or above-no backlog) in Jan, but we have to pay the attorney fees-about $4,500.

So we will be in it to the tune of $7,500 (we have 1 child-each child costs $1000 USCIS filing fee and $600 attorney fee)

Obviously this doesn't include relocation costs.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
susan42; you and your husband should ride your attorney like a merry-go-round. Do NOT let them submit anything without you triple-checking the USCIS requirements and your representation's work. If they screw something up, USCIS will deny your application in a heartbeat, and you generally don't get a second chance (due to timing, etc.). If you've got a straightforward case, I always recommend against hiring some overpriced schlub, who doesn't give two shakes about you, to handle paperwork so important to your life.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
especially if they are strapped for cash as it is.

Think about that for a minute...

If they are tight on cash, do we as Americans really want and need them here to add to all the Americans that are strapped for cash, and soon on our welfare system?

Old 10-13-2009, 06:19 PM

52 posts, read 107,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Think about that for a minute...

If they are tight on cash, do we as Americans really want and need them here to add to all the Americans that are strapped for cash, and soon on our welfare system?

No offense, but that is such an arrogant statement. I was unaware that we have a huge problem with immigrants claiming welfare benefits. Do we as Americans need to start regulating immigration by an individual's net worth? I dont think so, do we need yet more rich people in this country that are exempt from taxes, that keep their money in foreign accounts, that dont invest in our national economy, much less purchase or support American businesses or American people? Naaa, we have enough of those already.

So, what you're saying is that people that come to the US that dont have a lot of money are going to become a burden on the American people. Thats complete bull *****. Visit any business owned by someone not born in the US, and ask them how much money they came here with. Then ask them how much they make now. Its just ridiculous to assume that someone that comes here looking for a better life isnt going to be able to make it because they are poor already. Either that, or foreign people are right when they say that Americans are out of touch and arrogant.

Realistically, what we NEED as Americans, is a government that will stop abusing us (the tax payers) and our money (taxes we have paid). I find it crazy that millions of people are losing their homes to forclosure, yet the government just spent billions and billions of dollars on corporate bailouts.

Just as an FYI, corporate handouts pre-recession already FAR exceeded welfare benefit expenses. Imagine the offset now that BILLIONS of American tax dollars have been pumped into corporations, which has done absolutely NOTHING for the American people.

Poor immigrants are the least of our worries.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabEyes View Post

So, what you're saying is

No, I'm pretty sure I typed what I was saying.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
susan42; you and your husband should ride your attorney like a merry-go-round. Do NOT let them submit anything without you triple-checking the USCIS requirements and your representation's work. If they screw something up, USCIS will deny your application in a heartbeat, and you generally don't get a second chance (due to timing, etc.). If you've got a straightforward case, I always recommend against hiring some overpriced schlub, who doesn't give two shakes about you, to handle paperwork so important to your life.
Well, they managed to do OK in getting him his H1B, plus as I think I said before, no reputable, large US company are going to let you DIY your immigration.Ours have their own immigration attorneys that they use anyway.
Of course we double check everything and are well aware that if they screw things up we are done for.
Additionally when we went to the Embassy in London for our interview we had to take my husbands 102 page petition with us.

As I said -I have met the requirements for GC EB3 and my petition has been approved.It is only the 7 year backlog of applications that is the problem.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArabEyes View Post
No offense, but that is such an arrogant statement. I was unaware that we have a huge problem with immigrants claiming welfare benefits. Do we as Americans need to start regulating immigration by an individual's net worth? I dont think so, do we need yet more rich people in this country that are exempt from taxes, that keep their money in foreign accounts, that dont invest in our national economy, much less purchase or support American businesses or American people? Naaa, we have enough of those already.

So, what you're saying is that people that come to the US that dont have a lot of money are going to become a burden on the American people. Thats complete bull *****. Visit any business owned by someone not born in the US, and ask them how much money they came here with. Then ask them how much they make now. Its just ridiculous to assume that someone that comes here looking for a better life isnt going to be able to make it because they are poor already. Either that, or foreign people are right when they say that Americans are out of touch and arrogant.

Realistically, what we NEED as Americans, is a government that will stop abusing us (the tax payers) and our money (taxes we have paid). I find it crazy that millions of people are losing their homes to forclosure, yet the government just spent billions and billions of dollars on corporate bailouts.

Just as an FYI, corporate handouts pre-recession already FAR exceeded welfare benefit expenses. Imagine the offset now that BILLIONS of American tax dollars have been pumped into corporations, which has done absolutely NOTHING for the American people.

Poor immigrants are the least of our worries.
Have you compared what it takes to immigrate to the USA with what it costs in other countries?

The USA has by far more immigrants than any other country in the world. Legal and of course illegal. Our population rate is skyrocketing mostly due to immigration so it's a little difficult to see the problem. If people don't want to pay, then they should step back and let someone else come instead. There is no shortage of people who want to come and would gladly pay the fees.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:28 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Fees for immigration processing/documentation are part of immigration. They are no surprise as they are even posted on USCIS.gov.

What I do not understand is the constant mention of attorney fees. Using an attorney is a personal decision. So is paying your immigration fees. In my IT recruiting days H1B was often the easiest way to go and not one of my candidates paid his initial fees or his GC processing. It is a matter of negotiation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration