Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:00 PM

439 posts, read 1,221,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
Check out this historical chart:
According to this chart, the percentage of legal immigrants as a proportion of the US population as a whole has decreased continuously over time. If you look at # of immigrants in a given year on your chart and compare them to the US's population as a whole at that time:

US population in 1850 = 23,191,876. 450,000/23,191,876 = 1.94% of population from immigration.

US population in 1910 = 92,228,496. 1,100,000/92,228,496 = 1.1% of population from immigration.

US population in 1990 = 258,709,873. 1,827,867/258,709,873 = 0.7% of population from immigration.

Is that what you were looking to prove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Yes, limit legal immigration. I'm a liberal too, and I work all day with Chinese and I live in an apartment complex with immigrants from India. They are all legal, but they are definitely changing the culture. And don't give me that nonsense about how intelligent they are. They are a mix of intelligent, industrious, lazy, a little stupid, friendly, snotty, and rude.

My Indian neighbors park illegally, so one has too drive out into the street without being able to see traffic. They set their garbage out by the front door--until they feel like walking 50 feet to the dumpster. Too bad if it's windy. They never complain to our Landlord--who regularly gets a 1/5 star rating, because it's better than India. (Yeah, I'm moving.)

The Chinese spit in the lunch room sink, and come in to work when they are obviously sick, and don't believe anything they can't see (radioactivity, chloroform, etc.) can be dangerous. And, apparently, never brush their teeth.

You know what, they're nice people--I wish them well, but I don't like the ways my country is changing because of them.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Treeluvr just above me makes some huge remarks with regards to the manner system
within different cultures. What we the North American may see as rude or crude behavior may be everyday occurrence for some cultures. Perhaps, some things North Americans do could be seen as rude to other cultures. The point thats obvious is that any immigration should be very slow to allow a mutual conformity for mutual
benefit.
Also, its been commented right here in this thread that the immigration of talented
individuals is beneficial. You've got to be joking ! Do we not pay enough education tax's to levy a little strong arm on the "expected" ?
Are we going to forgive the over puffed up salaried educators by a position that says...."HEY DON"T WORRY...WE"LL SIMPLY IMPORT
PLEASE, please, North America, WAKE UP

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,357 times
I think the question that no one asks is: What should the population of this country be? 300, 400, 500 million or more? Currenty it takes 12 acres of land to be developed for each added new person to this country. That is regardless of being native born, legal or illegal. Every country has a limited number of resources. When that country's pop. exceeds the carrying capacity of those resources, it must seek them elsewhere. If other countries are not willing to sell or the price is too steep, armed confrontation or war is a result.
Population is the largest single problem this country and the world faces, bar none. Besides the land developement there is the addition increased costs for energy, water, waste disposal, taxes.
Imagine if instead of 300 million people, this country only had a 165 million people! Air and water quality standards would have actually made an improvement. Congestion and urban sprawl would not be claiming farm land, social services would still be functioning, taxes would be lower and our infrastructure would still be sound.

The US can not cure the worlds ills by increasing our own population to the point of ruin. Do we want to sink the lifeboat and go down with the rest of humanity or do we want to be an example of how a society can function to serve it's population the best?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:57 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwhg View Post
I think the question that no one asks is: What should the population of this country be? 300, 400, 500 million or more? Currenty it takes 12 acres of land to be developed for each added new person to this country. That is regardless of being native born, legal or illegal. Every country has a limited number of resources. When that country's pop. exceeds the carrying capacity of those resources, it must seek them elsewhere. If other countries are not willing to sell or the price is too steep, armed confrontation or war is a result.
Population is the largest single problem this country and the world faces, bar none. Besides the land developement there is the addition increased costs for energy, water, waste disposal, taxes.
Imagine if instead of 300 million people, this country only had a 165 million people! Air and water quality standards would have actually made an improvement. Congestion and urban sprawl would not be claiming farm land, social services would still be functioning, taxes would be lower and our infrastructure would still be sound.

The US can not cure the worlds ills by increasing our own population to the point of ruin. Do we want to sink the lifeboat and go down with the rest of humanity or do we want to be an example of how a society can function to serve it's population the best?
Sometimes I wonder if that isn't why we have things like the plague and other natural phenomenons that attempt to keep our out of control breeding in check. Left to ourselves as a race we would s***w ourselves into ruin just like Lemmings. To read about families with 12-16 people just blows me away.

Thank God we can't normally have a litter like that Octo kook or we'd be sunk post haste.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 8,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Biggest Population Boom Ever | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels (http://www.numbersusa.com/content/learn/sustainability/biggest-population-boom-ever.html - broken link)

I think it is time. Immigration made sense in the past because we needed to settle this country and build infrastructure in the western USA, but in the last 20-30 years, there isnt much need anymore. Basically we are filled up and newcomers just lead to sprawl, lower wages, higher unemployment, and are a major cause of our decaying rust belt cities.

Here in the US, back in the 1960’s, 70’s, etc… there was a big push to reduce the size of families due to over population - overuse of natural resources. A one child family would acturally reduce population and a two child family was population-size, neutral. This went on for a number of years and when people with large families were out in public, they were stared at. Our next door neighbor had 6 children and she told my wife that when they were out in public it could almost be embarrasing – this occurred sometime in the 80’s. I can’t tell you exactly when it happened, but there was a push for immigrants, educated and uneducated. And as this occurred illegal immigration started flourishing. There has always been some illegal immigration, but nothing like was happening in the 1990’s and was continuing up until the economy went sour.

The point of my rambling is that I do agree with you there should be a huge reduction in legal immigration and all illegal immigration should be stopped. And it should be pointed out to everyone that smaller families are less of a strain on our ecological system and our ecological system can only stand so much.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Helloooo!! Aren't any of you listening? A chart was given in post #11 showing just how much legal immigration is going on. Post economic meltdown, immigration of all those "talented" europeans and eastern europeans to our fair shores has dropped to a trickle. Immigration is a symptom of an uber rich upper class burying the middle class in tons of cheap labor and lower wage foreign talent. American higher education costs six figures but is free in most Scandinavian countries and extremely low cost in many other places. Americans cannot compete and are rapidly being left for dead in a runaway economic system of the rich vacuuming up every single dollar in the worlds economy. Immigration from East and Mainland Europe - ended. We didn't have to stop it, they stopped coming because they read! Those were your avenues of serious competition to the American Middle Class. Indian and Chinese immigration is almost exclusively IT and Software Engineering. Most companies have maxxed out their H1B applications. There is more to fear from the jobs moved offshore than those lost to H1B's. And, really, how many Americans have 19 children like the Duggars? How many even have five? The relatively recent introduction of tens of million Roman Catholic Central Americans who do and will have 4, 5 or more children whether or not they can ultimately afford them is something you should be thinking about. That they will keep pouring into the country even though the boom has busted because they do not read English and will not belive that they are better off where they are, that is yet to be addressed here. Just attempting to focus your minds on the real problem.

H

Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Helloooo!! Aren't any of you listening? A chart was given in post #11 showing just how much legal immigration is going on. Post economic meltdown, immigration of all those "talented" europeans and eastern europeans to our fair shores has dropped to a trickle. Immigration is a symptom of an uber rich upper class burying the middle class in tons of cheap labor and lower wage foreign talent. American higher education costs six figures but is free in most Scandinavian countries and extremely low cost in many other places. Americans cannot compete and are rapidly being left for dead in a runaway economic system of the rich vacuuming up every single dollar in the worlds economy. Immigration from East and Mainland Europe - ended. We didn't have to stop it, they stopped coming because they read! Those were your avenues of serious competition to the American Middle Class. Indian and Chinese immigration is almost exclusively IT and Software Engineering. Most companies have maxxed out their H1B applications. There is more to fear from the jobs moved offshore than those lost to H1B's. And, really, how many Americans have 19 children like the Duggars? How many even have five? The relatively recent introduction of tens of million Roman Catholic Central Americans who do and will have 4, 5 or more children whether or not they can ultimately afford them is something you should be thinking about. That they will keep pouring into the country even though the boom has busted because they do not read English and will not belive that they are better off where they are, that is yet to be addressed here. Just attempting to focus your minds on the real problem.

H
Looking at just here in Arizona: the flow of illegal aliens from Latin America has been all but shut off----------we are down about 30-50% compared to 2007.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Looking at just here in Arizona: the flow of illegal aliens from Latin America has been all but shut off----------we are down about 30-50% compared to 2007.
Down but not off. And what about the 12 - 25 million already here? Half of them came with at least one child in utero. The following year was another birth... ... Flash forward to 2050. I stand by my earlier comments.

H

Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Down but not off. And what about the 12 - 25 million already here? Half of them came with at least one child in utero. The following year was another birth... ... Flash forward to 2050. I stand by my earlier comments.

H
I cannot speak for the rest of the nation but; I have seen and heard the dramatic dropoff of those losers here in the Phx area since 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration