Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I thought this forum was for discussion of legal immigration. How does that topic fit into this thread?
Maybe because the anchor baby way is the way around the laws that lets the parents stay here and collect all kinds of welfare for going about it this way. The anchor baby is at this time considered legal, even if the mother shows up on the bridge and gives birth two inches past the American flag or came in full labor with a shopping pass and made it all the way to a free USA hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I have heard that mexican women in labor show up at border crossings are taken into America brought to a hospital, have thier now american citizen anchor baby, and sent back to Mexico I assume with food stamps and welfare.
What makes you assume that?

Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Does that include Mitt Romney, his grandparents renounced their US Citizenship to go to Mexico and practise Polygamy. Apparently they got it right at some point, bringing Mitts father with them. They never bothered to become citizens again
That is moot; remember that Mitt's mother was a straight up US citizen so that would trump any possible Anchor Baby issues courtesy of his Mexican father (former Michigan governor George Romney).

Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What makes you assume that?
Many illegal alien women close to giving birth will try to sneak across our southern border expressly to have an Anchor Baby. Needless to say; birthright citizenship needs to be illegal unless at least one parent is at least a green card holder.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Many illegal alien women close to giving birth will try to sneak across our southern border expressly to have an Anchor Baby. Needless to say; birthright citizenship needs to be illegal unless at least one parent is at least a green card holder.
I was perhaps less than clear. I meant to express doubt that Mexican mothers raising US-born children in Mexico receive food stamps and welfare.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I was perhaps less than clear. I meant to express doubt that Mexican mothers raising US-born children in Mexico receive food stamps and welfare.
That I tend to agree with

I knew a 'Mexican' who was born here in Arizona but raised just across the border in Mexico----------he was working here in the USA, legally for the above reasons

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Regarding the OP: I doubt the fees recouped from such a "surcharging" program would be worth the cost of implementing it. Sounds like a needless expansion of government that we can't afford and that won't benefit anyone. A boondoggle, in other words.

As for the tangent of this thread:

I think it's a terrible idea to change 250 years of US law simply to target a single type of behavior from a single source which has only risen to the public consciousness in the past 20 years.

If someone can make a legitimate argument against birthright citizenship who's central theme is not "Mexican Anchor Babies" then there would be something to discuss here. Otherwise I consider it a knee-jerk reactionary suggestion.

For all the fuss about anchor babies, can anyone provide a yearly estimate of the number of US citizens born to illegal alien parents? Please try to provide a source for the number which is not a pro-or-anti-immigration activist group.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
For all the fuss about anchor babies, can anyone provide a yearly estimate of the number of US citizens born to illegal alien parents? Please try to provide a source for the number which is not a pro-or-anti-immigration activist group.
Another interesting figure would be how many of those children of illegal aliens actually manage to legalize their status, let alone pull off the (not inconsiderable) feat it is to arrange for family members to get legal residence in the US. (Which is, if I understand the mythos correctly, the ultimate goal.)

Seeing as you have to be 18 years old to even start the process, I'd say it's probably a low number...

Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Considering backlogs on family immigration, I believe it would take between 25-30 years for someone to give birth to a US citizen and then get their Green Card through the child's petition. They would still need to return to Mexico in order to get their Green Card. Someone who entered the US "without inspection" (an illegal alien--but not a visa overstay--in other words) cannot become a LPR or citizen without first returning to their home country and then applying for a visa to enter the USA legally.

However, because immigration courts supposedly tend to not order deportation for illegal alien parents, this is how the babies "anchor" their parents in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration