Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 16,368 times

Advertisements

I am a British citizen, living in the UK with my American Wife. We are planning on moving to the States next year. My question is: Can my Wife's Sister, who is living in the States, sponsor me? I have been on several websites, but have not been able to get a conclusive answer.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryarnold View Post
I am a British citizen, living in the UK with my American Wife. We are planning on moving to the States next year. My question is: Can my Wife's Sister, who is living in the States, sponsor me? I have been on several websites, but have not been able to get a conclusive answer.

Thanks.
No. If you click onto the USCIS link in the first "sticky" at the top of this forum page you'll find out what relatives can sponsor you and your SIL isn't considered "immediate family." Since your wife is a US Citizen you'd have to obtain legal status through her and the USCIS link can direct you accordingly.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:

Thanks.
No, but your wife can if you both move to the US. She has to agree to be permanently responsible for you.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 16,368 times
The problem, is that my Wife is unable to work, as she has a disability, therefore she would be unable to sponsor me. Is the law not different, as I am married to a US citizen. For instance, If my Wife and I were living in America, my spouse would not be permitted to sponsor my Brother. But the way I interprut the rules, is that if you are married to a US citizen, your in-law can sponsor you. A couple of years ago, my Mother-in-Laws' parents were going to sponsor her Husband, and they believed they were qualified to do so.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The problem, is that my Wife is unable to work, as she has a disability, therefore she would be unable to sponsor me. Is the law not different, as I am married to a US citizen. For instance, If my Wife and I were living in America, my spouse would not be permitted to sponsor my Brother. But the way I interprut the rules, is that if you are married to a US citizen, your in-law can sponsor you. A couple of years ago, my Mother-in-Laws' parents were going to sponsor her Husband, and they believed they were qualified to do so.
All I can reiterate is that you go to the link mentioned which is the official word on US immigration policies. It's an easy read and will afford you all the information you need. You can self-interpret 'til the cows come home but if you go to the link, the information you're seeking is right there on the first page. If you have questions about anything written then you can contact the USCIS directly and see what they have to say about your special circumstances.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Your wife is the person who needs to be able to sponsor you. Since you mention that she can't work perhaps her family/your parents-in-law can provide her with the necessary income/funds to help her sponsor you.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Your wife needs to be the primary sponsor, but your sister-in-law can be a financial co-sponsor for the visa.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Your wife needs to be the primary sponsor, but your sister-in-law can be a financial co-sponsor for the visa.
Anyone in the family can provide the money to allow the disabled resident spouse to prove that she can support an immigrant husband but all that money has to be transferred and documented accordingly to the spouse herself.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,074 times
[url]http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf[/url]
Go to this link it says:
If you do not meet the financial qualifications, the income of certain other household members can be added to your income level if they sign a contract on Form I-864A, Affidavit of Support Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member, agreeing to make their income or assets available for the support of the relative applying for permanent residence.
If you still cannot meet the financial qualifications, another person must complete a separate affidavit of support to become a joint financial sponsor of the person’s immigration. The joint sponsor must meet all sponsorship requirements separately, including the minimum income requirements for his or her household, and must be willing to assume, along with you, financial liability for the sponsored immigrant(s).

Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Would your wife not qualify for disability income if she isn't able to work? Wouldn't that be counted as income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration