Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 AM

42 posts, read 103,968 times

Advertisements

My family & I are definitely moving to the Lehigh Valley this summer. Probably in July. To take some of the pressure off of ourselves (b/c we have a home to sell) we are thinking of renting & having a home built. There is a new development in Zionsville called "Brookshire". They are being built by Judd Builders. Have any of you (or maybe someone you know) had any experience with these guys?

We were considering homes built by either Pulte or Toll Brothers. However, I've found a lot of complaints about both companies online. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I don't know about the builder, but are you sure you want to be all the way out in Zionsville? We considered a couple of places out that way when we were looking at houses but decided that it was too far from the Middle and High Schools. Now that there is an intermediate school (right next to the MS and HS) and the elementary's are only K-3, that means nine years of school activities quite a distance from home. Since my kids were spaced far apart, that actually meant quite a few more years and I'm glad we chose to live that 15 minutes closer. Don't get me wrong, Zionsville is a great area, but have you thought about the distance to schools?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
I thought there was an elementary school in Zionsville, right on 29, isn't that there anymore?

Zionsville is a nice area, very rural(super close to a ski slope). You can be in downtown macungie or emmaus in about 15 minutes.

I have no first hand experience with Judd or Toll Brothers. But my sister in law is in a Pulte community and her house is beautiful.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:07 PM

There was one, but they closed it and that's in East Penn school district anyway. The OP would be living in Southern Lehigh SD with the closest elementary being Lower Milford. Great elementary but it's just K-3.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
There was one, but they closed it and that's in East Penn school district anyway. The OP would be living in Southern Lehigh SD with the closest elementary being Lower Milford. Great elementary but it's just K-3.
Ahh, that's a shame. I always liked Zionsville. It had the rolling hills and farmland that I love and lots of trees and forests. Although I haven't been down that way in at least 5 years, I hope it hasn't become overdeveloped.
Is Nancy's Nursery still there? Loved that place.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I don't know about the builder, but are you sure you want to be all the way out in Zionsville? We considered a couple of places out that way when we were looking at houses but decided that it was too far from the Middle and High Schools. Now that there is an intermediate school (right next to the MS and HS) and the elementary's are only K-3, that means nine years of school activities quite a distance from home. Since my kids were spaced far apart, that actually meant quite a few more years and I'm glad we chose to live that 15 minutes closer. Don't get me wrong, Zionsville is a great area, but have you thought about the distance to schools?
Well, the neighborhood we're looking at is actually split in half. Half the lots are in the East Penn school district (which is what we want) & the other half is Perkiomen (probably spelled that wrong). The county lines literally divide the neighborhood in half.

My husband seems to think Emmaus High School is only a few miles from where we're looking. We are scheduled to go up & take a look in about a week. If it's really far from everything we might have to try something else... I hope not. It looks really nice from what I've seen online...

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM

27 posts, read 59,313 times
We also looked at one of Judd's developments but in Coopersburg. We were put off that their 450k quick delivery home included their standard features of formica and linoleum for the kitchen. For that price I would have expected corian and tile. Toll and Pulte include these types of things as standards at a lower price point. We were totally turned off when they showed us the linoleum samples. We also drove out and checked out Brookshire but it seemed pretty far out for us.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKidsMommy View Post
Well, the neighborhood we're looking at is actually split in half. Half the lots are in the East Penn school district (which is what we want) & the other half is Perkiomen (probably spelled that wrong). The county lines literally divide the neighborhood in half.

My husband seems to think Emmaus High School is only a few miles from where we're looking. We are scheduled to go up & take a look in about a week. If it's really far from everything we might have to try something else... I hope not. It looks really nice from what I've seen online...

Thanks for your input, everyone!
I don't want this to come off wrong, but, if you are on the Upper Perkiomen side, your kids will go to Hereford Elementary school, and in Hereford there is a huge, run down trashy trailer park. Guess where the kids go to school?

I do want to say that things may have changed in the trailer park and Hereford Elementary, it's been a long time since I have been down there. I went to Upper Perk.

Overall though, Upper Perk is a good district.

If it is on the Berks/Lehigh border you are probably about equal distance between the two High Schools. You will only be 10 minutes away from the Super Wal-Mart in E. Greenville.

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 03-02-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Oh, I didn't realize that Zionsville went that deep into Berks county and that any of it all was in East Penn school district. I agree with East Penn over Upper Perk. That's a shame that the neighborhood is divided. That makes a difference when the kids are older with school activities and younger with the car-pooling.

Realtors, See This.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info about the area. I didn't even think about the kids being divided like that. Our oldest is only in preschool & the other is a baby...

Also good to know that the standard features aren't that great for what you pay. The homes in the Coopersburg neighborhood are even more expensive... Oh boy. Guess we'll just have to think all of this through if we like the neighborhood enough to build there.

Thanks to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley