Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 12,561 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I`m a student from Lubbock, TX and I got an internship with a firm at Allentown,PA.

I`m little worried cuz of all the posts I`ve been reading here talks about the gang related activity in Allentown. Any info you guys provide will be very much appreciated.

Which are the good areas where I can find apartments ? I`m willing to spend around $650 a little less/more is fine.I have never been to PA and I`ll stay for 3-4 months or may be more.
How about the transportation in Allentown? Is it safe and does it cover the entire Allentown? How about the local bus frequency within Allentown? Do I need to rent a car?

I found that there is Lehigh University very close by, so how about living around the university and drive to my workplace everyday?

Pl respond.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
Let us know where the firm is located/name of the firm and we can help you better. The Allentown area is vast and encompasses a lot of areas within it. Some are awesome for living, some very sketchy. Some places are near to the bus routes, no problem, some are not at all. Give a few more details and we can help you out a lot better. Good luck

Old 04-10-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Let us know where the firm is located/name of the firm and we can help you better. The Allentown area is vast and encompasses a lot of areas within it. Some are awesome for living, some very sketchy. Some places are near to the bus routes, no problem, some are not at all. Give a few more details and we can help you out a lot better. Good luck
Hi
thanks for the reply.
I`ll be interning at American Architectural Meta Manufacturers Inc located at
575 Business Park Ln
Allentown, PA 18109

Need help !

Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM

93 posts, read 309,407 times
Around Lehigh would probably be the easiest area to find a place for the summer because a large percentage of the students are gone. But if the duration of your stay is kind of open-ended as you suggest, then I'm not really sure how to go about finding a place. I know nothing about the short term rental market.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the reply Eephus.
I`ll be staying for 4 months and could you plz enlighten me on the neighborhoods that are quite safe?
Also is it preferable to stay at Bethlehem or Allentown?

Plz help

Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
There are five colleges really if you are thinking of a summer sub-let. Moravian, Muhlenberg, Lehigh, DeSales and Cedar Crest, but none of them are really close to where he will be working, are they? And students would only be gone for June, July and August.

Looks like your company is out in a sort of industrial area near Coca-Cola Park. Here's the local crime map Lehigh Valley Crime Map: Police reports from Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem from The Morning Call Have you looked in Craigslist? Not having a car is problematic. Here's the bus map, that combined with the crime map should help. LANTA - Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority - System Map

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 AM

Hi,
I have looked up on Craigslist. But I contacted Muhlenberg College`s Housing and they offered an apt for $675. What are your opinions on this one?

Also I need your inputs on renting a car after I reach Allentown. How easy or difficult it is to rent a car at Allentown? Here at Lubbock, TX we have plenty of such places where you can rent a car for like $400/month.
How is the bus service? Before I rent a car I need a means to get around. I dont have any friends/acquaintances in Allentown PA. So I`ll be all on my own.
Pl reply.
Thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Lanta Metro. LANTA - Home As i always say to the hip newcomers the stool at the Your Welcome Inn is reserved for you. In addition since you may be in the Muhlenberg College area my elte hipster associates have a spot saved for you at Liberty St Tavern.

Last edited by loose cannon; 04-12-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Where is the apartment located? Not the exact address, but very close to the college? Close to the college would be a good area, but if it's east of the campus by a mile, you'll be in the danger zone. How old are you? Renting a car for someone under 25 is going to hard to do and I think Enterprise is the only one that does that or maybe Hertz if you have AAA. You can call Enterprise here and ask them: Long Term Car Rental - Enterprise Rent-A-Car They have non-airport pick up locations in Macungie and Quakertown, but they always advertise that delivery service.

BTW, I just found out yesterday that Moravian College in Bethlehem is going to a all residential campus starting this fall which means there should be many more apartments available for rent in Bethlehem. That would be a better location then Allentown. The city's of Allentown and Bethlehem adjoin each other and where you will be working is almost between the two. Bethlehem has a much more vibrant downtown then Allentown and is the #1 suggested city location on this forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks Loose cannon for the reply.
I`ll be sure to check out "Your Welcome Inn" and Liberty St Tavern.
Could you plz elaborate on renting a car at allentown?
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley