Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,635 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in Bethlehem. I grew up in Stroudsburg (Pocono Mtns) so I am somewhat familiar with the Lehigh Valley area but I have been gone for ten years and now am moving under different circumstances.

We have a daughter, so the good schools is a must have. Also a nice, safe neighborhood that is walkable to restaurants, parks, grocery stores, etc. For the first several months we will probably want to rent and then buy. Rent would be around $1100 and house around $200,000, preferably. Basically we want a family oriented neighborhood that we could settle down in.

The two areas we are considering are Bethlehem and Emmaus. From my understanding (and memory) there are some parts of Bethlehem that are better than others. And that Emmaus is a small, quiet, safe town.

Any suggestions and/or feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
I would really focus on Emmaus considering your priorities and price point. I'm not really sure you can walk to everything though, unless you are really into hiking!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:48 AM

14,613 posts, read 17,288,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly W View Post
My husband has a job offer in Bethlehem.
If you can be more specific about the location of your husband's job, perhaps you will get more specific advice. An address or a business park name would help.

Bethlehem usually refers to an area consisting of Bethlehem City (55.6K in Northampton county 19.3K in Lehigh County), Bethlehem Township(23.7K), Hanover Township(10.8K), and Freemansburg borough(2.6K)

In general Emmaus is more compact and has a better school district than Bethlehem and a very low crime rate.

But you are comparing a borough of 11K people, against a vague area of well over 110K . It also depends on the age of your daughter to evaluate schools.
There are good school districts in Nazareth and Saucon Valley which may provide a more convenient commute compared to Emmaus.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 6,635 times
The address of my husband's office is 301 Broadway. From my understanding that is not the best area of Bethlehem. And he doesn't necessarily need "walk" to work, rather we want a neighborhood that walkable (parks, restaurants, stores).

My daughter is only two and a half so obviously we have some time before she starts school. When she does, though we want to make sure we are in a good school district.

We have looked at Nazareth but it may be a little to small for us from coming Denver (where everything is literally within several minutes of you-shopping, specialty stores, gyms, etc.) . I know Emmaus is small too but at least it's double what Nazareth is.

Thank you so far for the suggestions and replies!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,360,441 times
Having lived in Denver for 22 years prior to heading back east to the Lehigh Valley I can assure you that if you were living in Nazereth or Emmaus it would literally be the same as if you were living in Arvada or Lakewood as it compares to Denver. I left Denver in 2009

Everything not only is available to you within minutes in these two communities, since this is a heavily populated area of the country there are more chains, more restaurants and more shopping choices than living in the western outpost known as Denver.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly W View Post
The address of my husband's office is 301 Broadway. From my understanding that is not the best area of Bethlehem. And he doesn't necessarily need "walk" to work, rather we want a neighborhood that walkable (parks, restaurants, stores).
But within walking distance of your husbands work is Riverport Condominiums (600 yards away) which is a good place to rent at first. You can walk across the bridge with your daughter and you have a nice college campus to exercise in. There are a number of restaurants in the area (inexpensive up to very expensive).

Riverport condominiums

The ArtsQuest Bannanafactory campus is across the street from the apartments. The South Bethlehem Greenway goes right by Riverport.

There is no central office for Riverport as the condominiums are individually owned. You have to search the web, but there are always a dozen or so condominiums for rent. They were mostly sold at very high prices, at the peak of the market.

I would not suggest buying there, but it would be a great place to rent for a year.

Easy walking distance

Lehigh Pizza
Tally Ho Tavern

Jennys Kuali - Malaysian Food
Olive Branch Syrian
Nawab Cuisin-Indian food
24 East - Japanese sushi
Fine dining across bridge (longer walk)
Tapas on Main

When your daughter gets older you can move 5-10 miles to Hellertown Saucon Valley or Southern Lehigh school district

Riverport condos were initially sold for $200K to $500K but have dropped hugely in price since then. Your rent of $1100 will not get you a 2 bedroom, but you may get a one bedroom & den. But you should save a lot of money on an extra car and on gasoline.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 06-28-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Park map

Map is public property from City of Bethlehem Planning web site.

If you live in Riverport and walk across the New Street (Fahy) Bridge you have access to Sand Island Parks and the south Moravian campus and Johnston park.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,865,642 times
I live in and like the lower nazareth area myself. You could also look in bethlehem township (only real downside is the high school is bethlehem) or even Palmer township (again downside is that high school is easton).

If your daughter is young enough it won't matter though. Check out sites like greatschools.org to see how the different schools compare.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I live in and like the lower nazareth area myself. You could also look in bethlehem township (only real downside is the high school is bethlehem) or even Palmer township (again downside is that high school is easton).

If your daughter is young enough it won't matter though. Check out sites like greatschools.org to see how the different schools compare.
The Bank where her husband works is in a rough area of town. A reasonable size 3 bedroom house across the street (100 years old) sold for $30K two Januaries ago. But the OP wanted a more urban feel, but still safe. The Riverport condos (less than 10 years old) are upscale but still within 600 yards of work.

If they give up on the urban requirements, and want to live in a borough (or near a borough) with a good school district then Hellertown, Emmaus, and Nazareth all good choices, but Hellertown is only 5 miles from her husband's job. Emmaus is 8 miles, but Nazareth is 14 miles.

The Lehigh Valley Planning Commission Median value-owner occupied home (2006-2010) gives you some indication of the quality of the houses in the boroughs.

$189 Hellertown (close borough)
$186 Emmaus (close borough)
$149 Fountain Hill (within 500 yards of work)

Boroughs within 20 mile drive
$227 Coopersburg
$192 Nazareth
$191 Alburtis
$191 Macungie
$177 North Catasauqua
$174 Bath
$170 Northampton
$167 Freemansburg
$147 Chapman
$138 Catasauqua

Easton area boroughs
$227 Tatamy
$214 Stockertown
$171 Glendon
$151 West Easton
$138 Wilson

Old 06-29-2013, 07:43 PM

4,405 posts, read 9,088,044 times
Coopersburg and Hellertown are good picks. Your husband works in the flatiron building on 301 East Broadway. On the 3rd floor of that building is WDIY. If your husband goes up there and mentions my name, my legend will be confirmed. Also the barmaid with blond hair at the Your Welcome Inn is from Colorado. She will also vouch for my greatness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley