Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Pennsylvania: buying a house, real estate, Emmaus , Allentown, grocery stores.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,016 times

Advertisements

Have a job interview coming up in Emmaus which, if all goes well, would result in a relo. to the area.

Coming in the night before and if everything goes as scheduled I'll probably wind up with two hours to kill before the flight home. Looking for a recommended 2 hour driving tour (starting in Emmaus and wrapping up at ABE) that'll give me a good sense of the area. Would rather focus on day to day life stuff (popular neighborhoods, major areas of commerce, etc.) than anything touristy, given the limited amount of time I have. Will probably do a more in depth trip later if I get an offer.

My wife and I are 30, have a 3 mo. old son and we prefer homes in more established neighborhoods (in others words, don't feel like the builder just plopped the house down in a corn field).

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM

80 posts, read 326,686 times
If you will be working in Emmaus, it may not be such a bad idea to start your home search right there. It was recently voted as one of the best places to raise a family in the Lehigh Valley. It is an older, more established town, and I believe the schools are good. That would certainly help you cut down on your commute time! I'm not so great at giving directions, but I can tell you that outside of Emmaus, Parkland and East Penn are the most sought after school districts. Southern Lehigh and Saucon Valley are good ones too. Housing in those school districts will most likely be more expensive. Good luck in your search!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Emmaus is in East Penn School District. Housing prices may seem high or low depending on where you are moving from. For us, we sold our last house for the same price we bought our current one. We looked at California houses before we moved here and were stunned at how much they cost - little houses, no basement, no yard, 20 years older and they wanted ALOT more money!

Anyway, You won't have much time to look around if you have to be at ABE in two hours. But, it would make the most sense to look over Emmaus throughly and you can do that by just going down main street and maybe taking time to walk around. Emmaus Main Street Program East Penn (which includes the towns of Emmaus and Macungie) is a large district with a growth problem but has a very good reputation. Both towns have alot of activities going on all year. If it wasn't for the large schools, and overcrowding we would have settled there. They are in the process of building new schools but that won't happen overnight. With just a young child, you probably won't have any problems with that.

If you'd like a peak at another School District, Southern Lehigh adjoins East Penn. Many locals go over the hill from Emmaus to get to Lower Milford township (in SL district) but unless you have a gps, it would be too easy to get lost. So! After going down Main Street, hop back on 309 and head north towards Bethlehem (I think the road is actually going East West at that point) and get off at the Quakertown exit. If you want to see our new upscale shopping area, follow signs for the Promenade shops: Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley or if you want to see the small downtown area of Coopersburg, just continue down route 309 and take a right onto Fairmount Street (Shopping Centers on both corners), take a left at the first light and you will be on Main Street. In five minutes you will be through town. Coopersburg is not nearly as cute as Emmaus for it's main Street but the schools are alot smaller. Demographics would probably show that people earn a little more and housing costs are higher. There is a large rural township within the district and while there are alot of developments the supervisors in the whole area are fighting to keep as much open space as is legally possible. After you have seen main street you can get back on 309, heading North and then take a right onto route 378. This is the easiest way to get to ABE. Before you get out of Southern Lehigh area, you might want to take a peak at the HS and MS and the park and library. Right after turning right onto route 378, take the first right onto Preston lane and in 1/2 a mile you will see our new library on the right and directly across the street is a large park. If you continue driving you will see DeSales University. Do a u-turn. If you cross 378, still on Preston Lane, you will see the high school on the left and the middle school on the right. You can turn in either schools parking lot to do a another u-turn and get back on 378 to head (left) towards Bethlehem and then to ABE airport.

Good luck wherever you end up!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
I would definiteky consider Emmaus. Stay out of the pit known as Allentown. Visit Bethlehem and the Township. Easton is a pit also.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,016 times
Thanks for the input. Hypothetically, if we wound up in Emmaus, what's the main drag for shopping -- grocery stores, home depot, target, etc. -- you know, all the boring, routine stuff that has to get done

Old 12-06-2007, 09:39 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Emmaus is just South of Allentown and the South Mall is right on Lehigh Street. Let's see, if you are coming from ABE, I would take route 22 East for one exit, get off at route 378 (Bethlehem) and go right through Bethlehem until you come to route 309 in Center Valley. Take 309 North (towards Alllentown/Harrisburg). It will turn into route 78. Get off at Lehigh Street and head South towards Emmaus. As you are traveling on route 309, you'll see Allentown to your right. When you get off of 309, turn left. You will be passing the Home Depot right then and in a mile you'll see the South Mall. It's a nice little mall. Then lots of car sales places. After maybe 3 miles you'll come to a T, if you go right you will hit Emmaus and you'll be right on the Main Street. The library is on the right and then lots of shops. There's a cute theatre off of main street that has movies just past their prime, but it's clean and cheap. I like to go there with my kids if I can talk them into going with me. Anyway, keep going straight and you will hit more shopping including the grocery stores and some fast food places. The High School and middle school are not too far from Main street and there may be signs directing you to them.

Another way to Emmaus is to take 22 west and go north of Allentown and then go south on 309, East on 78/309 (they're together there) and then get off at Lehigh Street from that direction, but the traffic will be worse and the drive isn't as nice - you would miss Bethlehem entirely and it's a pretty city. The closest Target is on Cedar Crest Avenue, north of Allentown. I can't think of what discount store is really close to Emmaus. I go to Quakertown for Target, but I think the one North of Allentown is closer to Emmaus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley