Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:55 PM

102 posts, read 162,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are from NJ and are truly considering the possibility of relocation. We are simply out priced of N.J (for awhile now), and have been considering a move for a few years.

We have heard various, varying stories about N.J people moving to PA. Some have had good experiences, others, changed their minds, missed NJ and moved back.

We love our state, and we'd be the first to share how many great things there are to NJ, (the topography of the land, the shore, and many fine eateries are just some solid examples; as well as a well-educated populous, and quality amenities for shopping and good healthcare.)

But this being said, the cost of living is grueling, the taxes, are, well, fairly awful, and there doesn't really seem to be a let up to the flat lined economy here since about 2008. (Except for, maybe a small pocket of fields of endeavor we're not a part of.) I say this, not as a complaint, so do not read it as whining

We are degreed people, and would bring our jobs with us, which pay well under 75k, part of why we feel we need to leave.

We don't have a big list of other reasons to stay, in terms of extended family, and will miss NJ, no doubt. But the cost of living is just pretty relentless, and, since we don't plan on moving South, (or to the Dakotas), we were wondering about PA.

Recently I read somewhere here that a person from NJ got some real flack after a move to PA and that the people there really don't like transplants from NJ. Which seems a bit odd, since we are not really talking about a move from two very different sections on the nation's map. (Not that folks should do that wherever they are, but, in any case...)

I know that asking this question I will get highly subjective feedback, but I need to ask, has anyone you've known, you or others you've known, moved from NJ (or even tri-state NY area) to PA and loved it?

What area are you in and why has the move been a great thing for you? Are there defining things about your area that make it better than NJ/NY for you? Are there any good similarities both states share, in your opinion?

How about the folks who left NJ and just didn't like PA, (for whatever reason), and left? Can you detail where and why?

We are also concerned about environmental issues, for example, we know there had been nuclear fallout on the Eastern portions of PA. 'Though the land is lovely, this would discourage us from, perhaps, considering. Do you personally know much about that issue in PA that you can speak of?

We have heard of people making mistakes of a lifetime and left NJ with little recourse, because they didn't have much $ when they left and had little to none to move back with.

We have also read stories of glory and success, as droves of others seem to drive down to South Jersey and don't pass go till they reach the Carolina line.

I don't expect that part of the country will be on our possible places to move plan, though it may be a nice place to see sometime.

Here's an interesting story which is very well written, by a man who left NJ, for, actually, Mississippi.

His is a poignant tale about what many experience over here. Some details in his, and his Dad's, story may vary.

High-Tax States, Low-Tax States -- Guess Which Are Gaining Population? | National Review

It really is becoming a genuine possibility, our needing to move. Just to add, if the place is within a few hours drive of beaches, all the better, but not required.

If you couldn't afford to stay in NJ but liked their amenities, where would you go? (Assuming you had pretty low cash flow)

Thanks, in advance, to any and all who reply.

p.s. I sent this same post to different sections of PA, on these boards, as PA is a pretty big state, and we need some comprehensive feedback, since not all sections are the same. You'd be providing a family a great kindness to share any or all of your experience.

Thanks again :O)

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 08-29-2016 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:38 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,423 times
There's no one answer. Everyone's experience is completely different. If two families with identical incomes move from the same town in Jersey to the same town in Pa., they'd have totally different assessments of how it went.

I moved from NY/NJ to Pa (East Stroudsburg) in 1999. I would not do it again, for many reasons, none of which might make a difference to you. I know others who are extremely happy here - same area, same situation, etc. So it is not quantifiable.

That said, there are things that are quantifiable. Cost of living is not as low as you probably think it is. What you may save in taxes, you can easily eat up in higher costs like energy and commuting.
I think you are saying you would commute back to your jobs? (Not sure what "bring our jobs with us" means...maybe telecommute?). Commuting is a very arduous thing to do - take it from me. There are many posts here about the commute and the toll it takes on a person, psychologically and physically, as well as financially.

Schools are my big thing. If you have kids, you want to move to a great school district. If you don't, you still want to - because property values are better in the good districts. Hence, you'll pay more for entry, just like in Jersey. You see a lot of cheap real estate here, from your distant vantage point, but lots of it is in bad districts, and that's why. There are vast differences, not to be glossed over.

Some people don't like NY/NJ transplants, because some of those transplants bring a big-city attitude with them. That doesn't go over well here (or anywhere, really). And for a smaller set of people, the hostility could be chalked up to racism, and the fact that minorities often move here for lower living costs. I haven't had any problems, though I've experienced small-time crime (theft, vandalism) from locals, so I guess that's yet another perspective.

Pros (this is my personal list - not applicable for everyone): Fantastic outside life - hiking, kayaking, swimming, skiing, tubing, etc. I'm a photographer and the scenery is great. Peaceful home on large acreage. No loud urban stuff. Cul de sac and zero noise. Less traffic and congestion.
Cons: Winter. Bad roads and poor municipal planning/infrastructure. High gas prices & heating costs. Dim cultural opportunities. Horrible property values/housing market. Winter. Distance to everything. Bad school district. Winter.

We've made our peace, as well as we can, with most everything. We send our kids to private school. We get through winter. We organize our trips to lessen the driving. We go elsewhere for culture. And we aren't gonna sell, so the property values aren't an immediate burden.

If I could move anywhere? I'd move south, maybe Delaware or the Eastern Shore of Maryland, even Virginia....

Oh, I have no idea what you're talking about with nuclear fallout.

HTH

Old 08-31-2016, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,142 times
I moved from Long Island , to go to college in the Scranton area and never went back - mostly due to crazy cost of living on Long Island - similar to what you described , and as a social worker, my income won't make up for that. Do I miss ny? Yes I think I always will. But pa is so much more affordable and you can always find a great town that's a fit for you. I'm getting married soon and will probably start a family in PA. There are some people who have a bad attitude about ny/nj transplants but really not the majority. Actually, when I first moved here I was almost uneasy at why everyone was saying hi to me and was so friendly. There's a different vibe in most of PA vs ny/ nj. I've also seriously considered moving to Pittsburgh - it's a great city - like a mini cleaner nyc but with affordable suburbs. It's just far! Especially if you have family in nj you want to visit fairly often.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:49 PM

Arrow thank you!:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostBride115 View Post
I moved from Long Island , to go to college in the Scranton area and never went back - mostly due to crazy cost of living on Long Island - similar to what you described , and as a social worker, my income won't make up for that. Do I miss ny? Yes I think I always will. But pa is so much more affordable and you can always find a great town that's a fit for you. I'm getting married soon and will probably start a family in PA. There are some people who have a bad attitude about ny/nj transplants but really not the majority. Actually, when I first moved here I was almost uneasy at why everyone was saying hi to me and was so friendly. There's a different vibe in most of PA vs ny/ nj. I've also seriously considered moving to Pittsburgh - it's a great city - like a mini cleaner nyc but with affordable suburbs. It's just far! Especially if you have family in nj you want to visit fairly often.
Thank you for your reply! And congrats on your forthcoming marriage!

Thank so much for this feedbeck, it's super helpful

I know what you mean by far, but I suppose, in some respects, it's relative.

Your family in NJ/NY will likely understand, it is, afterall expensive in these areas.

Appreciate your taking the time

Old 08-31-2016, 07:07 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,423 times
Uh, what am I, chopped liver?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
There's no one answer. Everyone's experience is completely different. If two families with identical incomes move from the same town in Jersey to the same town in Pa., they'd have totally different assessments of how it went.

I moved from NY/NJ to Pa (East Stroudsburg) in 1999. I would not do it again, for many reasons, none of which might make a difference to you. I know others who are extremely happy here - same area, same situation, etc. So it is not quantifiable.

That said, there are things that are quantifiable. Cost of living is not as low as you probably think it is. What you may save in taxes, you can easily eat up in higher costs like energy and commuting.
I think you are saying you would commute back to your jobs? (Not sure what "bring our jobs with us" means...maybe telecommute?). Commuting is a very arduous thing to do - take it from me. There are many posts here about the commute and the toll it takes on a person, psychologically and physically, as well as financially.

Schools are my big thing. If you have kids, you want to move to a great school district. If you don't, you still want to - because property values are better in the good districts. Hence, you'll pay more for entry, just like in Jersey. You see a lot of cheap real estate here, from your distant vantage point, but lots of it is in bad districts, and that's why. There are vast differences, not to be glossed over.

Some people don't like NY/NJ transplants, because some of those transplants bring a big-city attitude with them. That doesn't go over well here (or anywhere, really). And for a smaller set of people, the hostility could be chalked up to racism, and the fact that minorities often move here for lower living costs. I haven't had any problems, though I've experienced small-time crime (theft, vandalism) from locals, so I guess that's yet another perspective.

Pros (this is my personal list - not applicable for everyone): Fantastic outside life - hiking, kayaking, swimming, skiing, tubing, etc. I'm a photographer and the scenery is great. Peaceful home on large acreage. No loud urban stuff. Cul de sac and zero noise. Less traffic and congestion.
Cons: Winter. Bad roads and poor municipal planning/infrastructure. High gas prices & heating costs. Dim cultural opportunities. Horrible property values/housing market. Winter. Distance to everything. Bad school district. Winter.

We've made our peace, as well as we can, with most everything. We send our kids to private school. We get through winter. We organize our trips to lessen the driving. We go elsewhere for culture. And we aren't gonna sell, so the property values aren't an immediate burden.

If I could move anywhere? I'd move south, maybe Delaware or the Eastern Shore of Maryland, even Virginia....

Oh, I have no idea what you're talking about with nuclear fallout.

HTH
thanks for your reply

Old 09-03-2016, 08:54 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,352 times
Nuclear fallout ?????

Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,113,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Nuclear fallout ?????

Yeah I call BS on this one. The nearest nuclear plant is more than 30 miles away from the Lehigh Valley.

As far as transplants, if you act like a know-it-all loudmouth jerk, as a few of them do, than the locals aren't going to like you. Otherwise there will be no problem.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,578,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
We had a woman who moved from Raritan Valley in NJ with the hope that her husband could move his business from Newark to Pennsylvania. At first they were enthused because they could get a brand new 4 beds 2.5 baths 3000 sqft on a lot of 0.29 acres in 18017 for the mid $400s, which was basically what they sold a half century old home in Raritan .

She lived here for six years in misery and complained loudly on this forum to anyone who would listen not to move.

But keep in mind that prices recovered quicker in NJ so for them to even go back and buy the previous home they owned in NJ became difficult to impossible if you included the dropping price of the home in PA and the normal costs of selling a home.

05/08/2007 $437,854
04/25/2013 $364,900

Old 09-07-2016, 09:47 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Yeah I call BS on this one. The nearest nuclear plant is more than 30 miles away from the Lehigh Valley.

As far as transplants, if you act like a know-it-all loudmouth jerk, as a few of them do, than the locals aren't going to like you. Otherwise there will be no problem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...sland_accident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley