Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:20 PM

25 posts, read 117,354 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Well, we leave for Lexington in a little under two weeks. Exciting! We're moving there for graduate school at UKY. My question is...since we are driving through Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and western Kentucky first, does anyone have any suggestions of cool sights to see along 1-70? (I think it's I-70 anyway, at least until St. Louis and then I believe it's I-64). We've never been to any of these states, so we're really excited. I'm going to post this on the other state boards as well, but if anyone has gone that route and has any suggestions of things we shouldn't miss, please share

Thanks!

Last edited by mlpslc; 07-31-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,233 times
From St. Louis to Lexington (I-64) is a spectacular scene from the Mississippi River across the southern prairies of Illinois to the Wabash River into Indiana (some of the best farmland in America lies along I-64 next 30 miles) then the hills of southern Indiana & the Hoosier National Forest (Milepost 65-95) and across the Ohio River at the Falls of the Ohio (Louisville) and then 75 or so miles of rolling Kentucky hills and valleys.

There is a lot to see from I-64, but in southern Indiana, there is a tremendous amount of German heritage, Lincoln's Boyhood Home (Dale exit) and at exit 92, there is a magnificent vista of the hairpin curve of the Ohio River at the Overlook Restaurant.

Louisville will speak for itself, but there is so much history as you cross the bridge. To your left is the Falls (don't be disappointed, they are not Niagrara, but influenced US history more). As you leave Louisville, you will begin to see bits and pieces of the tremendous lands of Kentucky lore. If you have time, plan to slow down and take a short tour of Frankfort. This is best done by exiting at mile post 48, taking a left to US 60, turning right and staying on US 60 to the Kentucky State Capitol, and then staying with US 60 eastward through Versailles to Lexington.

One of my favorite Kentucky stops is the haunting Vietnam Memorial. It's a bit hard to find, but after you are home in Lexington, well worth the short drive back to Frankfort. I have been there often, but each time becomes a more reverent and honoring time to those men and women who served there, not just those who's names are engraved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area