Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 19,997 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating back to Kentucky after six dreadfully long and dangerous years in the Memphis area. We lived outside Louisville before but are more interested in Lexington areas this time. Our main concern is finding the best public school districts, and finding out which ones to avoid like the plague. We are willing to live a little further out if necessary. Does anyone have any sugggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 06:29 PM

Default oh no......

...is this a polite way of letting us know that we are out of luck? How far out should we be looking? Berea?

Old 09-22-2006, 02:01 PM

70 posts, read 206,382 times
If you want to stay in Lexington (Fayette County), the better areas of town for schools is from the southwest to the southeastern portion of Fayette County. Due to an increase in new housing for that area, the schools are more modern. Personally, I would avoid the northern part of Lexington since those are the oldest schools in town. A couple of them are going through renovation but if you want to be closer to the better shopping areas of town plus a large selection of restaurants, the southern portion of the county is for you.

As a reference, when you talk about Lexington it's not a bad idea to think in terms of the county as opposed to the city. Lexington has grown so much over the past 15-20 years, it's unreal. It couldn't expand to the north or northeast due to the horse farms. It has grown to the east, south and southwest. The western part of the county is all horse farms and the airport so there's nowhere to expand in that area.

If you look at a recent map of Lexington, you'll see Man O War Blvd. Most of the growth has happened in that area from Versailles Road to I-75. That's why they had to build new schools to accommodate all the new housing which has sprung up in the past few years.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:49 PM

Thanks Wildcat, I really appreciate the info. We're driving up to the area next weekend just to take a look around. Although we are somewhat familar with Louisville, Lexington and its surrounding areas are totally unknown to us and it's nice to get a heads up from someone.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:02 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Hi,

There are a couple of websites you can check:

GreatSchools.net

and

Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. (or .com?)

There have been a lot of discussions of the schools here if you want to search for those. What you want is to make sure that all three of the schools (elementary, middle, and high) are good in your neighborhood. For example, the so-called "best" elementary school doesn't link with a good middle or high school. My neighborhood doesn't have one of the very best elementary schools, but then it feeds into really good middle and high schools (and the elementary school is OK), etc. We just moved here and arrived late, ended up at an elementary school not our own, that doesn't look so good on paper (and, ahem, I've had my moments), but it's turning into a really interesting and valuable experience.

[There are some wonderful members here who know a lot more than I do, but I didn't want to run out the door without giving you a little info]

Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
Are you looking into elementary, middle, or high schools? I can give you info on middle and high schools. For middle schools, Beaumont and Morton are probably the two best districts in town and for high schools Henry Clay and Dunbar are the two best public high schools in the area (Morton feeds into Henry Clay and Beaumont feeds into Dunbar). M/HC district is located mostly in zip code 40502 (SE/central-ish LEX) while B/D district is pretty much zip code 40513 (SW LEX).

Here is a link to Fayette County's public schools' website:
Fayette County Public Schools | Lexington, Kentucky | It's About Kids!

Henry Clay HS: Henry Clay High School
Dunbar HS: PLD Home
Beaumont MS: Welcome To Beaumont Middle School: Home of the Colts!
Morton MS: Morton Middle School, Lexington, KY

Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM

teebird, don't you think Jessie Clark is also a good middle school? Everyone seems to think Morton is the best.

PS fyi - We're in zip 40513 - Beaumont, Dunbar

Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
teebird, don't you think Jessie Clark is also a good middle school? Everyone seems to think Morton is the best.
Sure Jessie Clark is a pretty good school, but Morton and Beaumont tend to dominate in testing scores overall. Also I'm in 40502- M/HC. Goldenmom, just out curiosity, you said you relatively new in town, when did you move here?

Last edited by teebird1012; 11-08-2007 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Hi, mid-August, almost 3 months ... It seems like a lot longer, mainly in a good way, but sooo much has happened.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Such as what? If you need any more information on schools or anything around town, just let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area