Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 PM

17 posts, read 24,354 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I was researching possible places to relocate and among the choices are Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Columbus OH, and Louisville, KY. I looked at Lexington just to see what that was about and I liked what I saw so far, but when I searched the "businesses in Lexington, KY" in the main City Data page, it only listed McDonalds. Where can I find what other places it may have, as far as grocery stores, hotels, restaurants, and the like? Also, I am in an interracial marriage and I was wondering if that would be tolerated in the area. Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Lexington/Fayette County (one local government includes both) has a population of about 300,000, along with many kinds of groceries, hotels, restaurants, and so on, including major chains and individually owned businesses. Obtaining a city directory might be helpful to you. There are also many online maps which include local businesses - see Google for starters.

An interracial marriage would not be a problem to at least 90% of the people you'd be likely to encounter locally, and of the remaining 10% or less, most would not express any negativities. In general, Lexingtonians are polite people, and most are open-minded and accepting. Your marriage would be a non-issue to most people here.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 PM

17 posts, read 24,354 times
Thank you very much! Lexington is definitely on my short list of places to move. I hope to visit soon to look around!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 PM

367 posts, read 697,330 times
What kind of work are you looking for? Louisville is bigger than Lexington and has more job opportunitys in IMO. Both are big college sports towns. People are very friendly you won't have a problem being an interracial couple. Out of all the cities you listed I like Cincinnati the best it is bigger and a lot more stuff to do.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:08 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Among those cities Lexington is as good in terms of hospitals and chain stores / restaurants. In terms of friendliness and safety it easily tops the list. Down side is there isn't much to do in terms of museums and entertainment. It used to be considered a pretty conservative city, but that seems to have changed a lot in the last couple decades.

Indy and Columbus have good economies but seem very boring in part due to topography. The nearest hill or forest to either is 50 miles away. Indy is pretty conservative, Columbus (with Ohio State U) is more liberal

Cincinnati is the most cosmopolitan and has great museums and entertainment venues and seems a lot bigger than it is. It's also by far the most conservative of the cities listed and seems to have more race problems.

Louisville is like Cincinnati and Lexington thrown into a blender: decent amount to do (but less than Cincy, Indy, or Columbus) but with people that area generally friendy and down to earth. Crime is lower than all but Lexington on that list. It's easily the second most liberal city on the list and has a progressive history in race issues (no violence during school integration, home to first public library opened to Blacks in the USA)

Old 02-16-2014, 03:02 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
They say a picture is worth a thousand words then how much does a video say?
Lexington isn't anywhere near as big as the other cities, but it has it's own unique way about it.
I have lived in Louisville, Baltimore, Miami and Connecticut, but Lexington tops out as my favorite so far
(Louisville is a really close second.)
I don't think most people would bat an eye at an interracial marriage (I can't say nobody, because there a bigots and small minded people everywhere....but I don't think that would be an issue. Lexington is conservative in some areas, but very progressive in other areas.)

Lexington, KY: Dreamers, Visionaries, Mavericks Welcome - YouTube

A transfer recently wrote about Lexington in her blog

A Love Letter to Lexington

Here are a few pictures of Kentucky and Lexington

Lexington and Kentucky

Lexington tied for tenth place in Forbes for the top ten cleanest cities in the world (and yes that is in the world, not just the U.S.)

Forbes Link - Cleanest cities in the World

Popular Science listed Lexington as one of Greenest Cities in America (Number 25)

Green Link

Lexington, Kentucky: Big and Small, Urban and Rural; You Can Have it All Here - YouTube

We have some great Grocery stores - Trader Joe's, Whole Food's, Krogers, Aldi"s, Sams Clubs, Costco,
Walmart

Hotels - Several Hilton's, LaQuinta, SpringHill, Marriott, Best Western, Hampton Inn, University Inn, etc.

Hotels

Restaurants - Zillions of them, what kind do you like?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:15 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
CCL- sorry, couldn't give you any more rep points! But you GO, baby!! You are such a wealth of interesting info and videos! Thanks for all of it!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Awwww thanks Ponypulr, that is really a sweet thing to say (write).

Old 05-27-2014, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,460 times
Default All star cheer off of leestown road

There's a wonderful all star cheerleading and tumbling gym that just opened off of leestown road. It's called Full Force Athletics and it's located at 470 Conway Court Lexington ky 40511. They have teams for all ages. They have a facebook page too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area