Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times

Advertisements

I want to go from lexington to cincinnati northern kentucky airport, Does anyone know a convenient public transportation way?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 04:25 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
Try Uber.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Unfortunately there is no good way to get to Cincinnati airport from Lexington. You can try googling "airport shuttles" but I don't think you will find anything. We have used taxi - long drive - and pickup from a friend. This area of the country is way behind where they should be in transit compared to the rest of the world.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:41 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Greyhound? Enterprise?

Uh....you could just buy ye a car.

I wouldn't recommend you're thumb though.

Good luck!!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Unfortunately there is no good way to get to Cincinnati airport from Lexington. You can try googling "airport shuttles" but I don't think you will find anything. We have used taxi - long drive - and pickup from a friend. This area of the country is way behind where they should be in transit compared to the rest of the world.
How does the, "rest of the world" do it?

Old 09-02-2015, 01:18 PM

Well, take Edinburgh, Scotland. I can leave from a village 20 miles outside Edinburgh on a city bus that goes every 20 minutes all day and night, get to Edinburgh where I take an airport bus from the spot I left the first bus. This airport bus goes every 10 minutes all day and night. If my flight is from Glasgow and not from Edinburgh, I can instead take the Glasgow bus those 40 miles on an express bus that leaves every 15 minutes. Or I can take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Or if my flight is from London, there are about 40 buses a day from Edinburgh to London.

Take Bellingham, Washington, USA. For a flight from Seattle to anywhere, I can take the airport shuttle leaving from Bellingham which will drop me directly at my departure gate. To get to the shuttle from my home in Bellingham I must take a taxi, perhaps, or I could use the city bus. If I already lived in Seattle, there's airport buses plus a direct subway line that will take me there.

Take Deerfield Beach, Florida. For a flight from Miami to anywhere, I could take a city bus in Deerfield Beach to the Tri-Rail train, which goes south through many suburbs and provides a direct airport shuttle from one of their stops.

I could cite a couple more examples but this just shows that other places have seen the need to move people to airports (this is how most people travel these days, right?) and tried to figure out ways to provide transport. Even Phoenix, Arizona, the car capital of the USA, has direct door to door shuttles from suburbs way outside Phoenix to the airport.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Well, take Edinburgh, Scotland. I can leave from a village 20 miles outside Edinburgh on a city bus that goes every 20 minutes all day and night, get to Edinburgh where I take an airport bus from the spot I left the first bus. This airport bus goes every 10 minutes all day and night. If my flight is from Glasgow and not from Edinburgh, I can instead take the Glasgow bus those 40 miles on an express bus that leaves every 15 minutes. Or I can take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow. Or if my flight is from London, there are about 40 buses a day from Edinburgh to London.

Take Bellingham, Washington, USA. For a flight from Seattle to anywhere, I can take the airport shuttle leaving from Bellingham which will drop me directly at my departure gate. To get to the shuttle from my home in Bellingham I must take a taxi, perhaps, or I could use the city bus. If I already lived in Seattle, there's airport buses plus a direct subway line that will take me there.

Take Deerfield Beach, Florida. For a flight from Miami to anywhere, I could take a city bus in Deerfield Beach to the Tri-Rail train, which goes south through many suburbs and provides a direct airport shuttle from one of their stops.

I could cite a couple more examples but this just shows that other places have seen the need to move people to airports (this is how most people travel these days, right?) and tried to figure out ways to provide transport. Even Phoenix, Arizona, the car capital of the USA, has direct door to door shuttles from suburbs way outside Phoenix to the airport.

Hum....very interesting, sounds like a lot of busses, shuttles and trains running 24 hrs a day. Who purchases, maintains and operates all these modes of transportation? What would be the average fare to ride these buses and shuttles? And, how many people on average will be riding the buses and shuttles? Considering the population of each of the places you mentioned, how do you compare them to Lexington, Cincinnati or even that other city to the West? It would be safe to say, if a bus ran from Lexington to Cincinnati once a day, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding a seat.

To answer you're question, no. If I need or want to go somewhere I'll just hop in the old truck and take off.

I guess I need to get out more but, on the other hand....I can't afford it.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:55 AM

Hi Hogsrus, yes, there really are a lot of buses, shuttles, and trains in many parts of the country and in other parts of the world. Most of them are probably run by private companies but heavily subsidized by the country or city, etc. Naturally the emphasis is on getting people to work, so many towns and cities put most of their efforts in to providing good commuter service. People usually get what they demand, I think, so different areas have more or less service.

People over 65 ride free on the buses all over Scotland. This is paid for by the government (but of course comes out of people's taxes). It's great for seniors because it means even if they don't drive they don't have to be stuck in their house but can get out and go anywhere for free.

I'm trying to remember the fares in Bellingham, Washington. I think it's a dollar for adults, over 65's ride for 75 cents, and people over age 75 ride for free on the city buses. There are reduced fares for seniors on the trains.

I don't know what the fares are in places like the Miami area but seniors ride for about half fare, I think I remember. When we were on vacation in Hawaii I remember you could ride for a dollar if you were a senior.

In all these places the buses are always full, not just with drooling old seniors, but with couples heading out to town for dinner, teens meeting other teens somewhere, mothers and children going shopping, and of course everyone coming and going to and from work.

I do realize that in a place where no transportation has been available that people have grown up with another sort of culture, that is just as you have said: jump in the truck and get there when you want. And it would be very difficult for these people to get used to another sort of way of life. Also, of course, an isolated small town cannot afford to put really good public transport into place. I also think, however, that although we may feel a way of life like this can continue forever, it really cannot and we will have to find better solutions eventually. (I'll get off my soap box now!)

Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Hi Hogsrus, yes, there really are a lot of buses, shuttles, and trains in many parts of the country and in other parts of the world. Most of them are probably run by private companies but heavily subsidized by the country or city, etc. Naturally the emphasis is on getting people to work, so many towns and cities put most of their efforts in to providing good commuter service. People usually get what they demand, I think, so different areas have more or less service.

People over 65 ride free on the buses all over Scotland. This is paid for by the government (but of course comes out of people's taxes). It's great for seniors because it means even if they don't drive they don't have to be stuck in their house but can get out and go anywhere for free.

I'm trying to remember the fares in Bellingham, Washington. I think it's a dollar for adults, over 65's ride for 75 cents, and people over age 75 ride for free on the city buses. There are reduced fares for seniors on the trains.

I don't know what the fares are in places like the Miami area but seniors ride for about half fare, I think I remember. When we were on vacation in Hawaii I remember you could ride for a dollar if you were a senior.

In all these places the buses are always full, not just with drooling old seniors, but with couples heading out to town for dinner, teens meeting other teens somewhere, mothers and children going shopping, and of course everyone coming and going to and from work.

I do realize that in a place where no transportation has been available that people have grown up with another sort of culture, that is just as you have said: jump in the truck and get there when you want. And it would be very difficult for these people to get used to another sort of way of life. Also, of course, an isolated small town cannot afford to put really good public transport into place. I also think, however, that although we may feel a way of life like this can continue forever, it really cannot and we will have to find better solutions eventually. (I'll get off my soap box now!)
Thanks ndcairngorm. Well, even though it works in some cities, there are good reasons why. It takes enough people willing/needing to use these modes of transportation and adequate population in general. In the case with most of Kentucky, if we had such transportation choices, I'm sure the fare would be more than a dollar simply because there wouldn't be enough people willing or needing to use it. So, if the fare is too expensive, and it would be considering over all cost to operate, and if you use it every day it could add up to be so expensive, you could just go buy a new F-150. Will it change? I don't see it in the near future...maybe never. At least I'll never see to the extent you mentioned, in my life time anyway.

"drooling old seniors"...I resemble that statement. But, that's another subject.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 AM

[
"drooling old seniors"...I resemble that statement. But, that's another subject.

[/quote]

Yes, well I am one (not drooling yet, I hope) so I figure I can say that. But at age 78 I have been accused of having a rather eccentric sense of humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area