Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 AM

409 posts, read 872,966 times

Advertisements

This may or may not help

CINCINNATI: Uber cleared for pickups at Cincinnati, Kentucky airport | State | Kentucky.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
This is interesting since Southwest only flies to Cincinnati nowadays. Southwest is the main airline flying from our closest airport. How exactly do Uber and Lyft work? Do you have to have a smartphone?

Old 09-05-2015, 03:12 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Unfortunately there is no good way to get to Cincinnati airport from Lexington. You can try googling "airport shuttles" but I don't think you will find anything. We have used taxi - long drive - and pickup from a friend. This area of the country is way behind where they should be in transit compared to the rest of the world.
I'd like to see more investment in transit but the reality is rail is very expensive to build and maintain. It's not economical unless more people use it. You basically need someone to personally pick at our airports which is inconvenience for visitors especially from out of country. Lexington airport is also out in the country too

Old 09-05-2015, 05:32 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
I would like to see Mass transit options in Lexington also, but even Lextran buses look mostly empty as they ride by.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:41 AM

It's a chicken and egg thing: people don't take the bus because there's not much service and they don't go everywhere. Bus companies and govts. don't provide public transport because people don't ride them. Our governments have to hold their collective noses, take the plunge, spend the money, provide good frequent service, and wait for the ridership to grow. It's a long range plan thing, which most governments/voters aren't willing to finance.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:58 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Three or four years ago (or was it five?) the citizens of Lexington voted to raise the taxes to support and expand Lextran.
(I was a strong supporter of this)...but it still has a long ways to go.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 AM

Good for you. You'll get your reward in heaven! (or hopefully sooner)

Old 09-09-2015, 09:11 AM

409 posts, read 872,966 times
Quote:
This is interesting since Southwest only flies to Cincinnati nowadays. Southwest is the main airline flying from our closest airport. How exactly do Uber and Lyft work? Do you have to have a smartphone?
Sorry, I don't know, I've never used Uber and Lyft.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
Quote:
It's a chicken and egg thing: people don't take the bus because there's not much service and they don't go everywhere. Bus companies and govts. don't provide public transport because people don't ride them. Our governments have to hold their collective noses, take the plunge, spend the money, provide good frequent service, and wait for the ridership to grow. It's a long range plan thing, which most governments/voters aren't willing to finance.
So, "Build it and they will come" you say, that might work in some circumstances. As for our Governments holding their collective noses and jumping in,..........?? I'm not willing. I guess I'm too used to spending my own money.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area