Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:04 PM

458 posts, read 2,289,655 times

Advertisements

I am reading a book called the Bluegrass Conspiracy about corruption in the Lexington police department . It has to do with organized crime, drug running, corrupt cops, etc., in the 70s and 80s. I know that this is several decades old now, and not exactly current events. However, I do wonder what the culture is like in Lexington and in KY. Some areas of the country are more prone to corruption historically than others. (I grew up in Providence, RI, for example, which was known for the mafia back in the day and itsmost beloved mayor was a convicted felon.) I am not throwing stones here--just asking a question.

Thanks for any input.

As I have mentioned in previous posts I am looking for good books about KY--sorry this is one I just happened upon in my library system. Any other good suggestions for the positive side of Lex???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 01:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Micah Girl, I dunno about corruption in Kentucky, but I DO know that they see trucks as a nice revenue stream; I got a $158 ticket ($20 fine and $138 for "court costs" YGBSM!!!) on I-71 in Henry Co. (just North of Louisville) It's true that more and more states are taking advantage of out-of-state truckers. I guess KY's refined it to quite an art.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Micah Girl, I dunno about corruption in Kentucky, but I DO know that they see trucks as a nice revenue stream; I got a $158 ticket ($20 fine and $138 for "court costs" YGBSM!!!) on I-71 in Henry Co. (just North of Louisville) It's true that more and more states are taking advantage of out-of-state truckers. I guess KY's refined it to quite an art.
Don't out-of-staters everywhere get targeted by police?

Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Don't out-of-staters everywhere get targeted by police?
That's probably true. But truckers are even better targets because there are SO many more things that they can fine us for as opposed to a car driver...

Old 03-24-2007, 04:11 PM

70 posts, read 206,294 times
Default Good books on Kentucky

I'm sorry I missed your previous posts regarding books on Kentucky. I have two favorite books. The first one is A New History of Kentucky by Lowell Harrison & James Klotter. The second one is my favorite! The Kentucky Encyclopedia by John Kleber and Thomas Clark is loaded with much information regarding our state. Mr. Clark was the best Kentucky historian this state ever knew. I had the pleasure of meeting him prior to his death in 2005. They even named the new History Center if Frankfort after him. It's a wonderful book! I highly recommend both of these to learn about the past, present and future of this state.

If you want to find other books which were published with Mr. Clark's help simply google Thomas Clark Kentucky historian and you'll find a long list of wonderful books to read.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I'm sorry I missed your previous posts regarding books on Kentucky. I have two favorite books. The first one is A New History of Kentucky by Lowell Harrison & James Klotter. The second one is my favorite! The Kentucky Encyclopedia by John Kleber and Thomas Clark is loaded with much information regarding our state. Mr. Clark was the best Kentucky historian this state ever knew. I had the pleasure of meeting him prior to his death in 2005. They even named the new History Center if Frankfort after him. It's a wonderful book! I highly recommend both of these to learn about the past, present and future of this state.

If you want to find other books which were published with Mr. Clark's help simply google Thomas Clark Kentucky historian and you'll find a long list of wonderful books to read.
Thanks so much! I will have to look them up.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 AM

21 posts, read 54,995 times
You should know that the people are great, the scenery is incredible and there's plenty of places to see nature. That said, Lexington hasn't changed much since the Bluegrass Conspiracy. If anything, there's more corruption. With modern technology comes modern corruption. Check out this link Deborah Wardlaw calls back and tells me she's been threatened Video by Christopher - MySpace Video and my blog... MySpace.com Blogs - Christopher MySpace Blog

Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
I don't know much about Lexington's corruption, but Bowling Green was known at one time as "Little Chicago" because of it's ties to organized crime. You don't hear much about that sort of thing anymore, but I am sure some of it still exists.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
The corruption of the '70's is done. The city really tried to clean up after that debacle.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:42 AM

13 posts, read 52,007 times
Isn't that book fictional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area