Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 PM

12 posts, read 26,339 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I know this is a silly question, but I have been offered a position that I like in the Little Rock area. I am considering taking the position, but my wife is irrationally afraid of snakes... don't get me wrong I don't like snakes, but my wife borders on phobia.

I've read that there are a lot of snakes in AR and am wondering how common of an occurrence they are in the urban/suburban areas around Little Rock. Like I said, my wife has a phobia and she could literally become too scared to go outside at night if snakes are around.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 02:25 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
I have lived off Chenal Parkway in west L.R. for almost eight years and I have never seen a snake of any kind. My daughter also lives in this general area and also has seen only a couple small grass snakes in her ten years there. However, her neighbor sees snakes "all the time", but the neighbors back yard is overgrown with privet hedge. I personally feel that if the yard is properly maintained and kept clean there will be no problem in the city. In the country however, keep in mind you are moving into their habitat and should expect to see them from time-to-time.

I understand your wifes feelings about snakes. My wife will not even look at a picture of one.

I hope things work out for you, and welcome to Little Rock.

I should add that I do archeology work in the Ouachita Mountains and hills south of the mountains and I seldom see a snake. I am fully aware they are out there but not as bad as it seems you have been told (or heard). My theory is; 'Don't look for them and you'll not see them".

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 01-15-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Add a point

Old 01-15-2012, 03:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,322 times
It depends on when the politicians are in town.

But, seriously, snakes do not like the spotlight and will not hurt you unless startled or you come up to them unannounced.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM

12 posts, read 26,339 times
Thanks for your experiences! I'm not actually worried about being hurt by a snake, I'm just worried about my wife seeing one and freaking out!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,767 times
I've lived in Arkansas for a long time and have only seen maybe 5 snakes total. I'm sure they're around, I just don't see them very often. (Which is great, since I'm not a huge fan of them either.) As far as Little Rock goes, I live in town so perhaps there aren't as many of them here as in the more rural parts of the region, but I've not seen a snake in the year and a half or so I've lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area