Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,283,832 times

Advertisements

Another option, but you'd have to hit it just right, would be to rent someone's guest house in the Heights or Hillcrest. It happens, but it would be for rent by owner and you'd just have to look. I don't know how they are today, but Lanai Apartments just off Markham and University might be an option. They used to be very quiet although they are in the middle of everything. I'd stay away from anything on Reservoir or Rodney Parham or Green Mountain...these tend to be big, overcrowded, and somewhat transient. No one stays long - I don't know if that's due to management or what.

There are also some apartments on Kavanaugh right by Promenade, but darn if I can think of the names of a couple of places. Actually, I'm not sure they have a name! There are several buildings that are there and all you ever see is a small For Rent sign (if you see one at all). If you can do a little stretch on the budget, you might consider Forest Park on N. University right at Cantrell, just south of the Heights. I don't think any of what I have suggested would be utilities included, however. Not sure many places offer that amenity.

All in all, I think you're looking at Hillcrest. The boundaries on that would roughly be the Markham/Kavanaugh split in midtown, straight west on Markham and then north at University to wherever you would like to proclaim the Heights as starting. The boundaries have gotten muddier over the years...but anything right around lower Kavanaugh (south of Cantrell and east of the Kavanaugh/Cantrell intersection) is Hillcrest and pretty much full of your age group, but with a huge mix of ages and income ranges.

Personally, I'd stretch the budget a bit before I'd go to Crestwood Manor. I think Tanglewood is off the beaten path for what you would want as far as activities, biking, and outdoor things. However, if there's something like a 6- mo. lease and you don't mind moving twice, it might be a nice resting spot until you figure out exactly where you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 AM

511 posts, read 800,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbanks View Post
Riverwalk is on the high end of my price range. I'm looking for price range between 400 and 600 a month.
I would forget about the Riverdale area or the lofts downtown. They are near $1000 bucks a month for 1 bedroom.

I've been apartment hunting myself in Little Rock, and find the prices and upfront fees very discouraging. Many of these places charge a $50 application and $150 admin fee on top of your deposit. You can't tell me it costs them 200 bucks to run my application and credit.

From my research, Stonebridge at the Ranch, Pleasant Woods, and Landing at Rock Creek all have excellent reviews.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:33 PM

18 posts, read 32,888 times
any suggestions for hotels to stay at next weekend?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM

697 posts, read 1,777,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I would forget about the Riverdale area or the lofts downtown. They are near $1000 bucks a month for 1 bedroom.

I've been apartment hunting myself in Little Rock, and find the prices and upfront fees very discouraging. Many of these places charge a $50 application and $150 admin fee on top of your deposit. You can't tell me it costs them 200 bucks to run my application and credit.

From my research, Stonebridge at the Ranch, Pleasant Woods, and Landing at Rock Creek all have excellent reviews.
You can often get those fees waived, but I agree that it's a little ridiculous. I think apartment companies put those on there to pre-select (or rather, de-select) some applicants. The only time I've paid for an application fee I made them promise to take it off my first month's rent if approved (I had no doubt it would be) and they did. The other times I've been able to use it as a bit of a negotiation point and get it waived or reduced to just the background check fee, which is normally around $30-50 depending on if they actually pay to run your credit too.

Quote:
any suggestions for hotels to stay at next weekend?
What kind of price range and atmosphere are you looking for? There are some good options downtown for being close to some activity and getting to explore a bit on foot, and there are some good options in West Little Rock that are right off the interstates and very accessible to get around town from.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM

I am looking for othing more than 700 a month.
looking for a complex that i can meet other young singles and hang out at the pool during the summer. socials at the complex would be nice.
being close to running trials would also be nice but not a must as vzw offers a onsite gym at the call center.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM

697 posts, read 1,777,100 times
Quote:
I am looking for othing more than 700 a month.
looking for a complex that i can meet other young singles and hang out at the pool during the summer. socials at the complex would be nice.
being close to running trials would also be nice but not a must as vzw offers a onsite gym at the call center.
I caught that part and tried to provide the suggestions I was aware of apartment wise above, but I meant for a hotel next weekend.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM

I booked a hotel, so now I guess I'll just have to go visit these places and try to find one that will work for me. I am just concerned as I have never lived outside of the Houston area

Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 AM

369 posts, read 1,303,726 times
Quote:
I booked a hotel, so now I guess I'll just have to go visit these places and try to find one that will work for me. I am just concerned as I have never lived outside of the Houston area
It's a much smaller metro area than Houston, but you might actually like that aspect of it; You mentioned that your commute to work is typically around an hour, while here the average commute time is around 30 minutes(sounds like yours will be more like 10 minutes). The culture is very similar to Houston's, so you're not going to experience any culture shock, but you'll probably miss the offerings of larger cities such as pro sports if you're into that(all we have is a minor league baseball team, but plenty of sports bars). Just visit all around the area from the River Market District to the "stuff" out in west Little Rock and see how you like it. Don't go south I-630, unless there is some restaurant out there you want to try out , and you'll be good to go. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Ok, so I have a list now of apartments I might consider moving to.
Any opinions on the following

Indian Hills

Foothills Apartment

Lakewood Hills

Westwood Apartments

Country Club Apartments

Lanai Apartments

Crestwood Manor

Governor Park Apartments

Holcomb Heights Apartments

Mahlon Apartments

Out in the Woods Apartments

Westpark Meadows Apartments

New Horizons ApArtments

Overbrook Apartments

Madison Heights Apartments

Oakwood Place

Otter Creek Villas

Rivercliff Apartments

Stonebridge at the Ranch

Park at Riverdale Apartments

Turtle Creek Apartments

Warren House

Woodland Terrace

Riverpark Apartments

Tanglewood

Thanks for any insight and opinions

Arrington Apartments

Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Somehow Arrington Apartments got thrown below my thanks statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area