Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

190 posts, read 471,516 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a potential opportunity in London (I've never been, but I think the office is near the center of London just north of the London Bridge).

Where are some good areas I should consider living in that are not too far from that area? I'm in my late 20's and will be looking for an area that has a good amount to keep me busy (bars, food, other activities). Also, what is the price range of flats in these areas and are they accessible by public transportation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Do you know how much you have to spend? How big of a place do you want (1-bed or 2)? Long let or short? Furnished or unfurnished? That's a large area and very des res (desirable residence). There should be plenty to keep you occupied and you can't throw a brick in London without hitting an Underground station or bus stop.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Default Search tool for London flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Hi All,

I have a potential opportunity in London (I've never been, but I think the office is near the center of London just north of the London Bridge).

Where are some good areas I should consider living in that are not too far from that area? I'm in my late 20's and will be looking for an area that has a good amount to keep me busy (bars, food, other activities). Also, what is the price range of flats in these areas and are they accessible by public transportation?

Thanks!
You can search for UK flats using this search tool.
Studio and 1 bedroom flats to rent near London Bridge, London EC4R - London Bridge, London EC4R flats to rent - Furnished - Zoopla

Studios near the Bridge appear to start at about 1000GBP (= about 1656USD).
Good Luck

Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM

190 posts, read 471,516 times
Thanks! I'd like to be more flexible with the lease term, because who knows how long I will end up staying. Furnished is also my preference. As far as price, probably keep it under 1200 GBP per month. I'd like to go lower if possible and don't mind commuting via public trans 30 minutes as long as I am in a walkable area with shops/pubs/etc.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 25,845 times
"London Bridge" can mean different things to different people but it is generally referred to as the area between London Bridge (the actual bridge known by that name) and the Tower Bridge. There are many offices in this area (including a whole office complex called "More London Place" which is where I work) and the new "Shard" building is here. The whole area is easily accessable within 30 minutes of almost everywhere within central London via public transportation. The London Bridge Underground station is right in the midst of the area which has both the Underground (tube) as well as an "Overground" connection which refers to the overground railway which is also a good connection point (I take it everyday to Waterloo station to then catch my other train).

So, you are only limited by budget as you can access this area from many many areas. Central London places that many American's have heard of like Kensington, Knightsbridge, Mayfair, Notting Hill can be very expensive and maybe a bit older. You might check out the Docklands, Borough, Tower Bridge, etc areas that are very convenient. Go to discoverlondonbridge.co.uk to see the train connections and you will see how easy the transportation hub is and how far you can reach within a 30 minute commute.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2014, 01:46 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
Islington? Clerkenwell? Great neighborhoods not far from London Bridge. Both, but especially Islington, have many bars and restaurants and several traditional shopping streets that give great character to the neighborhood.

Shoreditch is another up and coming hipster area. You may also want to look in Bloomsbury near the British Museum as there's a decent student population in the area around the Brunswick center, which has a large Waitrose supermarket. Bloomsbury is also a very convenient walk to Soho and the West End. Further west of Bloomsbury is Fitzrovia and Marylebone, but they're significantly more expensive.

You will get more for your money south of the river.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM

142 posts, read 442,969 times
I'd probably suggest looking in Clapham, Balham or even Tooting (I never thought I'd say that a few years ago). All of these areas are incredibly popular with young professionals in their twenties, have an abundance of bars and restaurants near by and are on the Northern Line, so you can get to work in London Bridge easy enough without a change of tube, although it can be a very tight squeeze on that line at rush hour.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
I'd probably suggest looking in Clapham, Balham or even Tooting (I never thought I'd say that a few years ago). All of these areas are incredibly popular with young professionals in their twenties, have an abundance of bars and restaurants near by and are on the Northern Line, so you can get to work in London Bridge easy enough without a change of tube, although it can be a very tight squeeze on that line at rush hour.
Assuming the Tube workers aren't on strike

Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 AM

79 posts, read 271,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
I'd probably suggest looking in Clapham, Balham or even Tooting ... although it can be a very tight squeeze on that line at rush hour.
If you can get on the train at all :-)

I'd second Tooting though - it's still scruffy but it's coming up fast...

Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 AM

79 posts, read 271,480 times
And happily there is someone posting in this very forum who has a nearby 2-bed he/she wants to let...

Advice on short-term rental in London Bridge required!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London