Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,061,193 times

Advertisements

I first visited London in the summer of 1994 as I was in my first year of college. I immediately fell in love with the city that I would visit a dozen times afterwards.

I was there just last week for a few days, and I tell you, it's different. It's much more populated, duh. The pollution of the city is very concerning: I had coughing attacks, watery nose, and debris constantly in my eyes. And as much as I love diversity, London doesn't look very English anymore. Specifically, I heard more languages that were not English, spoken by people who were not generations established British/English. Never in my life had I seen so many burka covered females in my life, and I saw first hand how dutifully they walked two-three paces behind their western dressed owners. Sad and quite pitiful.

But alas, I still had a great time in London and look forward to visiting again next year. I'm just expressing my concern as an American Anglophile at the stark differences I have seen from London of 1994, to London of 2015. And at this rate, I reckon if nothing changes, London of 2036 will be entirely different. I'm not dense, I know since the establishment of the EU and the immigration craziness of the past seven years or so have had a great effect on London.

Have any other travelers to London over a span of two decades or more feel differently about the city now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM

531 posts, read 595,475 times
Full burkas (that cover everything but the eyes) in London aren't that common. Are you sure you aren't referring to the hijab?

I'm a very socially conservative person, but I honestly don't see what the problem is with these traditional modes of dress. Many in the good neighbourhoods radiate wealth and are at least polite and respectful, unlike many of their self-entitled Western counterparts.

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 06-02-2015 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Image added

Old 06-02-2015, 02:15 PM

I'm fully aware of what a mere hajib is vs. a full, onslaught of blackness covering a human female form (burka). I saw these people around Marble Arch, and walking towards Primark and Selfridges area. Last Thursday as I went into Harrods, that's when I saw the two fully cloaked black forms follow behind two regular dressed men. The men didn't even bother to hold the door open for the women. Also, while I was inside Harrods, I saw a few more. I'm very aware that in all likelihood, these women were fully clothed in designer clothes and probably wearing expensive jewelry under their burkas - but the public is not permitted to see them.

I'm not saying they were everywhere, but very noticeable in high density areas.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM

I walk around central London all the time, including the western half of Oxford St (even though not as much as the other parts because it's arguably one of the ugliest parts of central London) and I very seldom encounter full burkas.

Among hundreds of photos I've taken of London I don't have one woman in a proper burka. What I see much more of are these (hijab with body covering, even less commonly a niqab, and a proper burka once in a blue moon).

Old 06-02-2015, 03:14 PM

969 posts, read 826,563 times
Just so that we're all on the same wavelength.

http://wpmedia.news.nationalpost.com...pg?w=300&h=225

Niqab is top right. Burka is bottom right.

The Burka has full-body concealment with a one-piece garment exposing all but the eyes, with a mesh layer over the eyes.

Last edited by CTDominion; 06-02-2015 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM

70 posts, read 67,358 times
Give it another 10 years and you won't be able to find a white Englishman in London. You already can't find any youths with a Cockney accent.

They all think they're Jamaican the embarrassing little turds.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:04 PM

676 posts, read 991,094 times
Londonstan is very good !

Old 06-02-2015, 04:40 PM

I love it when liberals get their knickers in a twist over Islam.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 AM

994 posts, read 1,237,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Never in my life had I seen so many burka covered females in my life, and I saw first hand how dutifully they walked two-three paces behind their western dressed owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Last Thursday as I went into Harrods, that's when I saw the two fully cloaked black forms follow behind two regular dressed men. The men didn't even bother to hold the door open for the women.
In your first post, you give the impression that you were constantly seeing burka-clad women trailing behind western-dressed men; in your second, you seem to let slip that this was in fact based on one specific occasion (where, from the way you describe it, it's not really clear what, if any, was the relationship between the men and the women, or why they were walking where they were).

Frankly, we don't need American anglophiles of your particular brand. A London with fewer of you will mean less imported bigotry, and maybe even fewer of those dreadful Aberdeen Angus Steak House places you seem hell-bent on keeping in business.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
In your first post, you give the impression that you were constantly seeing burka-clad women trailing behind western-dressed men; in your second, you seem to let slip that this was in fact based on one specific occasion (where, from the way you describe it, it's not really clear what, if any, was the relationship between the men and the women, or why they were walking where they were).

Frankly, we don't need American anglophiles of your particular brand. A London with fewer of you will mean less imported bigotry, and maybe even fewer of those dreadful Aberdeen Angus Steak House places you seem hell-bent on keeping in business.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London