Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2023, 02:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I'm an American who will be in London next month, and am booking a show at Wilton's. I'm tall, so I am always self-conscious about sitting directly in front of someone, especially if the floor is not raked as this one is not.

I usually like balcony seats, but from the photos I'm able to find, it looks like the balcony rows are pretty far from the stage? Sound is usually better in the back of the room, but of course it's at the expense of visuals.

I also see that there are seats down the sides of the balcony--these are often a happy medium, as long as you are far enough back not to have half the stage out of view. but it looks like the seats all face "forward" (meaning perpendicular to the stage) instead of pointed at a slight angle toward the stage. I guess people sit diagonally? They are unusually cheap, so I wonder if there is another reason?

This is a regular performance on the stage, nothing happening on the floor.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the best seats & drawbacks of the places I've mentioned.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 03:48 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hello-
I'm an American who will be in London next month, and am booking a show at Wilton's. I'm tall, so I am always self-conscious about sitting directly in front of someone, especially if the floor is not raked as this one is not.

I usually like balcony seats, but from the photos I'm able to find, it looks like the balcony rows are pretty far from the stage? Sound is usually better in the back of the room, but of course it's at the expense of visuals.

I also see that there are seats down the sides of the balcony--these are often a happy medium, as long as you are far enough back not to have half the stage out of view. but it looks like the seats all face "forward" (meaning perpendicular to the stage) instead of pointed at a slight angle toward the stage. I guess people sit diagonally? They are unusually cheap, so I wonder if there is another reason?

This is a regular performance on the stage, nothing happening on the floor.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the best seats & drawbacks of the places I've mentioned.

Thanks!
I am not that familiar with Wilton Music Hall however it's a relatively small historic venue with a capacity of just 300 for the Hall and Gallery, and as such the sound should not be a massive problem.

However it is quite old and it may lack some of the qualities and facilities of more modern venues, although looking at pictures the sight lines look quite good.

Hope you have a fantastic time and all the best.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am not that familiar with Wilton Music Hall however it's a relatively small historic venue with a capacity of just 300 for the Hall and Gallery, and as such the sound should not be a massive problem.

However it is quite old and it may lack some of the qualities and facilities of more modern venues, although looking at pictures the sight lines look quite good.

Hope you have a fantastic time and all the best.
Thanks! I got the front row of the balcony which seems perfect!

Old 07-06-2023, 04:22 PM

OK, front row balcony was perfect, though there is no leg room for long legs.

The main "lacking amenities" was--no or very little air conditioning! It was quite warm, and while they probably had some kind of primitive A/C installed because it wasn't sweltering, it was uncomfortably warm by the end of the show, and it was only about 25C outside. People avoided going back to their seats after intermission until the very last minute.

So dress for warm surroundings! Nobody was dressed up.

Old 08-26-2023, 05:03 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
OK, front row balcony was perfect, though there is no leg room for long legs.

The main "lacking amenities" was--no or very little air conditioning! It was quite warm, and while they probably had some kind of primitive A/C installed because it wasn't sweltering, it was uncomfortably warm by the end of the show, and it was only about 25C outside. People avoided going back to their seats after intermission until the very last minute.

So dress for warm surroundings! Nobody was dressed up.
Wilton is quite old, so I don't think they are going to be that up to date in terms of amenities including A/C.

The biggest gripe from locals and indeed tourists usually related to the deep level tube trains not having A/C however this is now being resolved with the introduction of new trains and rolling stock.

Hope you have a good time though and wishing you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London