Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,439 times

Advertisements

I live in north Georgia and want to move to England - perhaps a London suburb. What help can you offer as far as where to live, cost of living, finding work, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Dartford is not the best or worst, but has excellent rail links to central London, as do many other towns and villages in the county of Kent.

No doubt everyone will be along to big up their home-county soon.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
I am potentially moving to UK for a year. I cannot afford to live in London, but can anyone recommend an outer suburb, close to tube lines?
I work in the medical field, so I'd like to live and work close to a tube line, and then be able to get to London on days off with not too long a commute.
An area that is considered similar to a US "suburb", with it's own grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, post office, etc.
Does any place like this exist? I am single, in my 30's. any names of suburbs to check into would be appreciated!
I don't know if south is better than north, east vs. west, etc.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Sportsfangal. My guess is you want a town more than a suburb, which like in America can be a very boring place. If it's the underground you need, then as a rough rule of thumb north and west are better than south or east. But there are some real holes in north and west London (hello Wembley).

Edgware at the end of the Northern Line is lively with loads of shops.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:16 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I am potentially moving to UK for a year. I cannot afford to live in London, but can anyone recommend an outer suburb, close to tube lines?
I work in the medical field, so I'd like to live and work close to a tube line, and then be able to get to London on days off with not too long a commute.
An area that is considered similar to a US "suburb", with it's own grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, post office, etc.
Does any place like this exist? I am single, in my 30's. any names of suburbs to check into would be appreciated!
I don't know if south is better than north, east vs. west, etc.
Well once you have sorterd out visa/work etc you can start looking. The make up of London is unique. Don't know where you are from in the US but the most comparable I can think of is New York and its out lying boroughs. Couldn't give an answer unless I know where you will be working, what you will be earning etc.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyingeorgia View Post
I live in north Georgia and want to move to England - perhaps a London suburb. What help can you offer as far as where to live, cost of living, finding work, etc.?

It takes more than a pipe dream.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:24 AM

Raggy Dee Ann and Hengist- I am working with a medical recruitment company that will handle my visa/permit requirements and finding the job before I arrive.
I guess when I get closer to interviewing, I'll know more about where to look, but I just wanted a general sense of some of the areas. When I think of a suburb, I think more of cities like Denver, Chicago or Los Angeles, I think the outer areas of NYC are hard to compare, as I don't think of them as regular "suburbs".
I'd like to live and work near a tube line, and still be able to take the tube to the city to shop/sightsee/go out, etc. How far out does the tube run in either direction from London itself? about how many miles away from the city center? Even if I had to take a bus to get to the station, I could handle that. I won't have a car, so I will be at the mercy of public transport, which I don't mind at all.
thanks for the insight! when I get more info on my job, I'll post again for more ideas-oh, and I should be earning in the range of $34-37K.(pounds)

Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Raggy Dee Ann and Hengist- I am working with a medical recruitment company that will handle my visa/permit requirements and finding the job before I arrive.
I guess when I get closer to interviewing, I'll know more about where to look, but I just wanted a general sense of some of the areas. When I think of a suburb, I think more of cities like Denver, Chicago or Los Angeles, I think the outer areas of NYC are hard to compare, as I don't think of them as regular "suburbs".
I'd like to live and work near a tube line, and still be able to take the tube to the city to shop/sightsee/go out, etc. How far out does the tube run in either direction from London itself? about how many miles away from the city center? Even if I had to take a bus to get to the station, I could handle that. I won't have a car, so I will be at the mercy of public transport, which I don't mind at all.
thanks for the insight! when I get more info on my job, I'll post again for more ideas-oh, and I should be earning in the range of $34-37K.(pounds)
The tube runs about 20 miles out from the central Zone 1 in some directions. It takes about 50-60 minutes to get from there to the central zone. However the train also goes centrally in some parts of London from some nice villages in the South that take 25-40 minutes. However some of these are extremely expensive places to live as London bankers and senior managers live in many of these places.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Hmm-thank you for that info richt71- I am looking forward to this new adventure, but it's very scary! as I imagine it would be for someone from another country trying to settle into the US.
Since I have no idea where I will work, it's hard to asks the questions. I'll be posting again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London