Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:27 AM

580 posts, read 1,081,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoT View Post
So I probably stuck out in England with my cowboy boots and slightly tight jeans? lol. But really, few really said anything and just stared when I spoke with my Texas accent. I found most people were friendly.

Oh, and like everyone is saying, Stonehenge was kind of a disappointment. Luckily for me it was just a stop on my way to something else.
Lulz! Yeah I was considering whether or not to bring the boot-heels along...

Again, thanks to everybody for the advice. However conflicting it might be, please keep it coming; I'd rather be more informed than less.

Stonehenge is one of the pre-planned places with this particular tour, and I think it's one of those things that people should try to see once. But according to most everyone on here, I might take a picture or two and then peace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 02:03 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Sorry- did warn you about Stonehenge. I weep for that site.

If you are around the Stonehenge area then pop into Salisbury and see the finest and largest Cathedral Close in the country, dominated by the Cathedral spire which is the tallest in the UK at 404ft high.

Salisbury itself is a lovely town and only a few miles from those flipping stones.

If you like historic houses then Wilton House just outside Salisbury is a real gem.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 PM

8 posts, read 12,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
@ Vermonr: Thanks for the advice. And while this might sound like a silly question, what do most folks in London wear as far as shoes go?

In fact what would an average Londoner wear in terms of clothing during the summer? Another poster (Hengist) said "scruffy and tramp-like as possible." What does this really entail? Cuz I'd hate to go there and find out that "scruffy and tramp-like" in London terms is a business suit! JK, JK.

Just wear anythink really theres so many different types of people in london people wont really care but average person (not office worker) would were say jeans or combat shorts and just a tshirt, a backpack gives the fact that ur a tourist straight away not that it really matters, As for safety anywere in central london is pretty good just dont go down any back alleys at night and beware of pick pocketers dont keep wallet in back pocket etc. If you want any more info about london or anythink give me a message I only live 15mins away from central london on the train

Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 15,537 times
I'm English and I visited London for the first time in 20 years last month. I had a fabulous time - the only problem was I only had a weekend, which was nowhere near enough time to do everything I wanted.

Obviously I could rattle on about my favourite 'sights' but your itinerary will be dictated by your own interests, so I won't do that. I'll just keep it general.

Hengist recommended an open top bus tour. Now, I always thought I would feel really 'naff' sat on top like a tourist, but it was FANTASTIC...even though I probably did look like an idiot with my jaw hanging open etc.

The ticket lasts for 24 hours, and you can hop on and off. It includes a river cruise on the Thames (another great way to see the city) and 3 free guided walking tours with this company. The walking tours are terrific, led by very knowledgeable people who point out all sorts of stuff you would otherwise miss.

London's Best Open Top Bus Tour

I'd do it on the very first day, as it's a great way to get a feel for the layout of the city, as London is very 'low rise' compared to many (if not all) big American cities.

If I was going for a week, I would definitely get a 'London Pass'. It'll save you a fortune on entry into just about all the major sights, and you get to queue jump! I was very tempted to get a two day pass but I was with people who didn't want to hare around like me.

The London Pass - Official Website - London Sightseeing for Less

There is a 'London Pass with Travel' option, too - and I'd go for that...it may include the bus tour/river cruise so check it out. The full list of attractions is under the tab 'London Attractions'. Explore the whole site so you get a good 'feel' for what's included.

Re the Tube...be aware that the tube map, though a wonder of design, is a little misleading: sometimes it's quicker to walk, and everywhere you go there is something to see

Shoes. Under no circumstances buy new shoes for your trip, unless you have a couple of weeks to wear them in. Take the most comfortable shoes/trainers you have. Make sure you have a Kagoule (a lightweight roll up waterproof).

I hope you have a great time!

ETA, sorry, I haven't worked out how to do links correctly yet...I only just got here.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
@ Vermonr: Thanks for the advice. And while this might sound like a silly question, what do most folks in London wear as far as shoes go?

In fact what would an average Londoner wear in terms of clothing during the summer? Another poster (Hengist) said "scruffy and tramp-like as possible." What does this really entail? Cuz I'd hate to go there and find out that "scruffy and tramp-like" in London terms is a business suit! JK, JK.
What? You are from Cedar Park right? That's just up the road from Austin. People in London dress no differently from people in Austin. Just relax and be yourself.

Just make sure you keep your personal belongings on you at all times, pref. in a rucksack so you don't go leaving it on trains or taxis.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:12 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,981 times
This is a great money saving idea for seeing the sights of London.

The London Pass - Official Website - London Sightseeing for Less

Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
I visited London for the first time in May -- first time overseas, in fact. Just some random thoughts.

Everyone was so polite that it was a shock to run into someone rude. It's next to impossible to get an "American" cup of coffee, if you are addicted. I'd skip Stonehenge and go to Canterbury, but understand if it's too late. I'd take half a day and walk the south bank. Wear comfortable shoes -- it's a real walking city. Just sitting in Trafalgar Square is a good way to spend some time.

Loved the Tower, the British Museum and the Natural History Museum. We did the "London Duck Tour" and it was a hoot. You spend some time driving the streets and some time in the Thames! Westminster Abbey is a must and well worth spending time there. Skip the Museum of London and Madam Tussauds.

We stayed at the Premier Inn County Hall right next to the London Eye and it was perfect. Reasonable price and within walking distance of 90% of what we wanted to see.

The most enjoyable thing we did was get up at 6 AM and just walk the city. There was no one on the streets and it was almost surreal!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM

34 posts, read 100,530 times
London is a very hipster city - youll see it when you get there, especially outside the tourist ghettoes clothes are cheap and fashionable and throwable. Dress smart if youre unsure.

I very much recommend walking through Greenwich, the riverside and the Park up to the observatory. All the museums and university buildings, and observatory are free (and is where you can straddle the Eastern and Western hemispheres). The view is sensational from the hilltop, and I heartily recommend a picnic there.

Another great view is from Waterloo Bridge at night, when all the grand buildings are lit up - Lodnon Eye, Big Ben, St Pauls Cathedral, Tate Modern, Somerset House. Either go over it by double decker, or walk but there will be a 6 lane motorway in between.

I defo recommend an open bus tour to get an idea of the city, its fascinating watching the streetlife and how cosmopolitan it is, not just the mix of architecture.

If you see a park visit it.

Pick a direction and get lost, Im sure youll stumble upon a few of the 40,000 protected buildings in London, not to mention pocket parks, courtyards, curiosities etc.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM

34 posts, read 100,530 times
1. Tip: dont tip at the bar. Even if they leave you change on a small metal plate - thats a practice theyve tried to adopt recently from the US. NOONE does it, and the barman will be confused. You can tip when you eat sure, but check that its not automatically been added already (10-15% service charge).

2. If you want to eat cheap, think ethnic.

3. Sign your credit card. If you dont know your chip and pin, what they will do is get you to sign, then (as theres no form of ID card in UK), match your signature to the one on your card. If there is no signature, they are not allowed to accept it - nor let you sign the card then and there, even if they believe you. Youll have to find another card. Of course some retail staff are used to Americans not having signed cards and will be nice. The other thing of course if you lose your card and it's unsigned, because of this system, the person picking it up can put their own signature on it - and thus match any payment with himself. In other words in the US people dont sign their cards in case it can be used for identity fraud, whilst in the UK people sign their cards so it can't.

4. Smile, talk, People don't bite. They might think you insane for striking up conversation on a crowded tube, but theyll help you out if needed. And you can ask anyone, no matter how dodgy they might look.

5. Watch out for pickpockets in the tourist zones - people bumping into you, drunks asking for a hug, spaced out people who block exits and force you to stand still while another frisks you, distraction ploys (especially at ATMs) - from telling you youve dropped a note (when you bend to pick it up theyve timed it to grab your cash), or stuffing maps in your face and asking directions, while behind the map someone is withdrawing £200 in seconds. Cover up your pin code with your hand when typing it in - not just prying eyes but pinhole cameras thieves insert into the machine.

All of this is still very rare^

6.You can generally trust people. But dont tempt them.

7. If there are loads of drunks about (binge drinking is major in UK, not London, but outside), and theyre too happy and boisterous for your liking, act a bit tipsy yourself.

8. All the major museums and art galleries are free. Tate Modern, Saatchi Gallery (highly recommended), British Museum, V&A Museum, Natural History Museum, National Gallery, Tate Britain, Science Museum. The ones that do cost are exorbitant. The worst offendors: Windsor Castle £16.00 for an adult, Buckingham Palace £17.00, London Eye £18.00, London Dungeon £23.00, Madame Tussauds £28.00. If you do opt for the Lodnon Pass bear in mind it does not cover all the major sites, and you may have to visit 3 or more sites a day to make your money back (and may run out of time). Plan it out, where you want to go and if London pass covers it. Also weigh out the cost of a zones 1 and 2 oystercard.

9. Also cheapest travel is by Oyster card, you top up a card you scan into the ticket barriers that charges you half price normal fare, after a certain amount of journeys it will revert to a travelcard or the whatever the cheapest option is if neccessary. Always remember to scan in and scan out, if you mis-scan, it will automatically charge you £4 maximum single journey, with or without travelcard status. If this happens you can have the 'fine' taken off at the help window if you tell them you definitely did scan it. You top up (and check usage/ fines) at the touch screens.

Last edited by mikael1; 08-03-2010 at 08:42 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochTheSleestak View Post
Indeed. If you really want to fit in with the locals, slutty casual is the way to go. The muffin top jeans and glitter blouse look is so in this season.

Explain slutty casual.

My wardrobe I am sure would fit better than American Eagle sweatshirts since I don't look like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London