Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 AM

149 posts, read 275,498 times

Advertisements

Was back on Long Island this weekend after living in NC & NJ the last few years. What is with all the garbage along 135, Sunrise highway & other major roads? Where are the tax dollars going? It has been four years since being on the island but it just looked alot different then we remembered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,236 times
Thank NYS for cutting the budget of everything, including road maintenance. Blind leading the blind...

Old 07-04-2010, 12:28 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
This is what happens when you cut essential services like road maintenance instead of UNessential services like welfare and pensions of already overpensioned government workers.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
I'm visiting family and friends on the Island right now....this is absolutely the filthiest I ever saw it Looks like a 3rd world country

Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Some areas are dreadful.

Between pigs hurling garbage out their windows, garbage blowing out of improperly covered Dumpsters, cuts in the state budget, illegal dumping on the roadside, it has created a shameful mess.

A couple of years ago I witnessed a landscaping truck dumping it's contents on the east side of Nicolls Rd, on the north end of the UHSB property near St George Golf Course. I called the University police and then SCPD, figuring that USB PD could respond quickly enough. The truck was in such a postion where the back plate wasn't visible and there was no front plate fastened to it.

The dumpers were gone before anyone showed up, and the debris sat there, gradually blowing away or decaying.

The dumpers are even worse on the north end of Belle Meade rd. I haven't seen it happen, but there has been concrete, bags, a range, carpets, etc. left there.

PIGS! They don't care. They are saving money on dump fees, and probably live in dumpy areas. Why not make the rest of LI look dumpy, too?

Old 07-04-2010, 03:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
The worst is around the fast food restaurants with the empty soda cups and food cartons laying around. I have a shopping center in my community that is home to a McDonald's and a Quiznos and all you see all over the place are McDonald's soda cups, sandwich wrapping paper, etc ... it pretty much looks like people eat their sandwiches in the car and just throw the wrapping paper and their soda out the window when they are done - which absolutely pisses me off when their are garbage cans 5 feet away!!!!!!!!

Quiznos is at least "going green" and making all their napkins, soda cups, sandwich wrapping paper, etc out of recycled material. I believe they are the first major national fast food chain to do so.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
All the money in the world cannot stop people from being PIGS.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:12 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
We were guests at a country club party this weekend, and all I can say is, Amen to this. The amount of garbage left around on the club grounds was atrocious. My kids complained about how nasty the other kids were, too. We live in Garden City so it's not like my kids are sheltered from the monied crowd!

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
The state finacial mess is not the problem. The trash has been on the roads for the past several years. Check out the older threads regarding the filthyness. Im really embarassed when I bring family here and they comment on the trash and grafitti in some towns.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:54 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Exactly! Why whine about budget cuts? What a pathetic excuse. How about whining about the selfish aholes among the LI population who feel entitled to litter? Selfish slobs with an unrealistic sense of entiltlement

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island