Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times

Advertisements

To anyone who has recently done a re-fi:

Who have you used (bank, broker, etc.) and would you recommend them?
Also, what type of fees are associated with it?

With the rates so low, I am seriously considering this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:01 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,737 times
I used a Broker for my last mortgage and then a ReFi after that. Would definately reccomend them if you would like me to. Fees are no different than anywhere else and can actually be a little flexible.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:35 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,941 times
I did some research in to this...and the bottom line I reached is that unless you are shaving more than a full point off your current rate, you aren't saving that much. You really need 1.5 or more to start seeing real savings. If it's more than that, you can recoup the closing costs pretty quickly.

Do you guys have any military ties? The two best lenders I have worked with are USAA and Navy Federal Credit Union.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Thanks.

No military ties.

I have a small amount left on my mortage, which is a few points higher than the current rate, and a HELOC for the construction on my home. It has 2 years left before it converts and is currently at just under 4%. I don't know what numbers will be like in 2 years when the HELOC converts, but do know that the mortgage will be almost half of what it currently is...it will be paid off in about 4-5 years. I am considering a 15 year mortage for a re fi. The HELOC will convert to a 20.

That's the dilema.

Crack down and go with the variable flow on the HELOC and gamble that 2 years from now we won't have a meteoric rise in mortgage rates, or re fi now and roll a small mortgage into it.

Either way, the equity in the home far exceeds the value of the possible re fi.

Opinions?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM

292 posts, read 820,394 times
Any way your lender will offer a modification? We have an ARM and several times our lender has offered a longer term modification to current rates. This has worked enormously in our favor over the years.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
Shoot me a DM.....I have a great guy at Wells Fargo.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Any way your lender will offer a modification? We have an ARM and several times our lender has offered a longer term modification to current rates. This has worked enormously in our favor over the years.
The 1st is a fixed 30 year which has the higher interest rate, but a relatively short amount of time left (5 years) as I have religiously paid additional to the prinicpal every month for 14 years.

The HELOC fluctuates with the market, but has been hovering in the high 3-low 4% range. The line closes in 2 years and converts to a 20 year at the going rate at that time.

I could ask the 1st for a modification; don't know if they will consider it worth their while, BUT what's the worst they could do -- say no?

One thing that confuses me -- are modifications for mortgages only, or do they modify HELOCs, too?

The HELOC is more the concern as that is the larger number and despite paying it down monthly, will have a decent enough left that a rise in interest could mean a few hundred more a month.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Pretty sure Teachers Federal Credit Union has the best rates on LI right now.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
So you want to convert the HELOC to a regular mortgage? I think mods are only for mortgages, as HELOCs are something different entirely.
Do you belong to a credit union? Those are your best bet. We belong to Bethpage and they are great, and no matter which CU you belong to you can do your banking at ANY CU branch, even out of state.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The 1st is a fixed 30 year which has the higher interest rate, but a relatively short amount of time left (5 years) as I have religiously paid additional to the prinicpal every month for 14 years.

The HELOC fluctuates with the market, but has been hovering in the high 3-low 4% range. The line closes in 2 years and converts to a 20 year at the going rate at that time.

I could ask the 1st for a modification; don't know if they will consider it worth their while, BUT what's the worst they could do -- say no?

One thing that confuses me -- are modifications for mortgages only, or do they modify HELOCs, too?

The HELOC is more the concern as that is the larger number and despite paying it down monthly, will have a decent enough left that a rise in interest could mean a few hundred more a month.
If you only have like 5 years left your probably not going to save anything. Suffolk Federal has a 0-down home equity loan thats another half-point below the average refi loan. Best bet if your <10% left is to grab that, us it to pay off your mortgage note, then just pay it back over the next five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: